The Joe Rogan Experience

• 26 Replies

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
  • Exalt-Smiter of Theories
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2018, 11:25:55 am »
I'm not qualified to interpret the studies, especially since I don't have access to the full one or the methodology etc.

I'm just answering "What asshole did he pull that information out of?"

I'm totally the wrong person to debate this. I just found hm cause of a conversation about Laurier university and how they lied to a TA that her showing a Peterson clip got complaints then organised a kangeroo court to try her, and if she hadn't secretly recorded it she would have been in the deep shit. The report exonerating her in every way just came out before Christmas.

So i searched Peterson and saw the two videos i posted, me and Madness had spoke about Rogan on Skype (i'm an MMA fan so i know him from commentary on that) and it's a Canadian academic department so posted the link.

There's every chance i'm not even representing his views correctly so any argument would be null anyway.
I see. Yeah that thing was pretty awful. Not only was it shameful behavior in itself, but it also helps fuel the fires in the already heated debate regarding SJWs.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 11:28:43 am by TLEILAXU »

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2018, 05:17:34 pm »
JRE #729 - Jocko Willink - I've been working through Willink's guest appearances in chronological order before I start listening to Willink's own podcast (pail, if you read this, you'll be happy to know I finally listened to an episode of Waking Up with Sam Harris because of Willink's dialogue with him). Very interesting person.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 05:22:43 pm by Madness »
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2018, 07:54:57 pm »
I like the Samster - he seems to be the pinnacle persona of someone making a damn hard try at figuring things out without the degrees. I've read ( audio books ) some of his stuff and it's entertaining and drove me to think on some things, so I find it quality stuff.

That all said, he is an impressive "hack" in that he does not sport the authority on subjects for which his erudition supports. Which is ok with me, having outsiders contribute is fine ( kinda what I feel like I'm doing in this forum ), challenging the experts is worthwhile, but he should make his qualifications more clear. "I've spent a lot of time studying/thinking on this stuff, but not as an academic and none of what I'm talking about stems from a proper study". He's charismatic and forges impressive arguments, but is essentially a published blogger.
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2018, 08:45:42 am »
Yeah he didn't he even do his own experiments on his phd thesis. He also goes back and edits blog posts when he is wrong and doesn't mention it, fortunately he has pissed of a group of ostensibly philosopher's on reddit who now track him so anytime he does something like this.

He also says some ridiculous shit when talking about "Islam"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWhNHG2ETrk

It annoys me he talks about the need for war a lot but hasn't signed up. That's a general gripe of all the war hawks though.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2018, 04:05:50 pm »
Yeah he didn't he even do his own experiments on his phd thesis. He also goes back and edits blog posts when he is wrong and doesn't mention it, fortunately he has pissed of a group of ostensibly philosopher's on reddit who now track him so anytime he does something like this.

He also says some ridiculous shit when talking about "Islam"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWhNHG2ETrk

It annoys me he talks about the need for war a lot but hasn't signed up. That's a general gripe of all the war hawks though.

Yeah, I disagree with him on his stance with Islam ( as I do with Bill Maher, who I worship ) ... both are allowing their decisive criticism of religion creep into other arenas such as politics, war, etc., compromising their approach.
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2018, 03:55:46 pm »
The Great Skeptic Himself, Michael Shermer - Great listening, particularly contextual given the WDYB (Redux) thread.

Bonus Shermer round on Tangentially Speaking With Christopher Ryan.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2018, 05:03:56 pm »
Sorry, couldn't even get past the self-promotion and sponsors. According to the notes, Shermer is a science writer, a historian of science, and "King of the Skeptics" (jk, jk...a little levity, no offense....).

His book looks interesting: "The Scientific Search For The Afterlife, Immortality and Utopia". I will go with the written word. Thanks for the link, Madness!

« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 04:50:55 pm by BeardFisher-King »
"The heart of any other, because it has a will, would remain forever mysterious."

-from "Snow Falling On Cedars", by David Guterson

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2018, 06:26:34 pm »
Sorry, couldn't even get past the self-promotion and sponsors. According to the notes, Schermer is a science writer, a historian of science, and "King of the Skeptics" (jk, jk...a little levity, no offense....).

His book looks interesting: "The Scientific Search For The Afterlife, Immortality and Utopia". I will go with the written word. Thanks for the link, Madness!

It's a little over two hours of listening. I'm sure it won't take you that long to dismiss him and save yourself the purchase.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2018, 07:05:57 pm »
Sorry, couldn't even get past the self-promotion and sponsors. According to the notes, Schermer is a science writer, a historian of science, and "King of the Skeptics" (jk, jk...a little levity, no offense....).

It's a little over two hours of listening. I'm sure it won't take you that long to dismiss him and save yourself the purchase.
Wow.......................................well, OK, then.

As an amateur student of philosophy who was quite the skeptic back in the day (still have my copy of "Atheism: The Case Against God" purchased in the late 70s), I am interested in most forms of skepticism. I'm not, however, interested in Joe Rogan, his touring schedule, or in which state he thinks the city of Charlotte is located.

But, as I said, thanks for the link.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 03:53:39 pm by BeardFisher-King »
"The heart of any other, because it has a will, would remain forever mysterious."

-from "Snow Falling On Cedars", by David Guterson

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2018, 02:37:34 pm »
Michael Shermer is a shameless self promoter. He actively wanted to get on TV so secretly made an agreement with David Cole the Jewish holocaust denier/revisionist to appear on TV together to get his skeptic credentials.

You've probably seen Cole and Shermer on TV together on the 80's(90's maybe can't remember( they collaborated behind the scenes to get on TV, Cole secretly recorded Shermer and i've heard the tapes.

Cole faked his own death as the JDL has a price on his head but then Irv Ruben went to jail and David Cole became David Stein the republican party animal.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 02:44:39 pm by themerchant »

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2018, 04:14:55 pm »
As an amateur student of philosophy who was quite the skeptic back in the day (still have my copy of "Atheism: The Case Against God" purchased in the late 70s), I am interested in most forms of skepticism. I'm not, however, interested in Joe Rogan, his touring schedule, or in which state he thinks the city of Charlotte is located.

That is literally the first couple minutes or so of the two plus hours. The youtube link doesn't include the brief adverts.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer