H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2019, 10:24:57 pm »
In general, I'll just trust Villeneuve until he shows me I shouldn't.  I have a hunch this won't be "book" Dune in any case, which is likely for the best, because I don't think you can realistically make the book a movie and not have it turn out like crap.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
  • Exalt-Smiter of Theories
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2019, 02:48:58 pm »
In general, I'll just trust Villeneuve until he shows me I shouldn't.  I have a hunch this won't be "book" Dune in any case, which is likely for the best, because I don't think you can realistically make the book a movie and not have it turn out like crap.
In what sense? This is where personal bias comes in. I wouldn't mind if they ditched the whole 'other memory' thing because I think it's kinda lame (which is a bit ironic given that it's a focal point of the series /and/ that it's my favorite series), but if you're talking about e.g. ditching Fremen suicide attacks then I vehemently disagree.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2019, 03:07:55 pm »
In what sense? This is where personal bias comes in. I wouldn't mind if they ditched the whole 'other memory' thing because I think it's kinda lame (which is a bit ironic given that it's a focal point of the series /and/ that it's my favorite series), but if you're talking about e.g. ditching Fremen suicide attacks then I vehemently disagree.

Well, I wasn't actually talking about anything in particular, just taking literally everything that is in the book and attempting to display it visually on screen.  I mean, prima facie, that is nonsense of course, but I think that is something like what many people would "want" even if they know that such a thing can't exist as a matter of fact.

So, all I am saying is that Villeneuve seems to know how to make somewhat entertaining movie and so I'll trust him to do what he thinks would be "best" until he shows me that maybe he doesn't.  I don't know what his vision of "Dune the Movie" is, but I think he knows enough about movies to know it isn't a literal translation of the book.  I can't pretend to know for a fact which elements are better in or out, so I'll leave it to a dude who seems to have a clue.  Again, until he shows me that my trust is misplaced.  There is no "necessity" here though, nor do I imagine any though.  Just because he did well with things before means he must do well with the properties of Dune.  But I do think there is a fair chance he will.

As you like to say, something like "we'll see what happens."
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
  • Exalt-Smiter of Theories
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2019, 06:13:29 pm »

Well, I wasn't actually talking about anything in particular, just taking literally everything that is in the book and attempting to display it visually on screen.  I mean, prima facie, that is nonsense of course, but I think that is something like what many people would "want" even if they know that such a thing can't exist as a matter of fact.

So, all I am saying is that Villeneuve seems to know how to make somewhat entertaining movie and so I'll trust him to do what he thinks would be "best" until he shows me that maybe he doesn't.  I don't know what his vision of "Dune the Movie" is, but I think he knows enough about movies to know it isn't a literal translation of the book.  I can't pretend to know for a fact which elements are better in or out, so I'll leave it to a dude who seems to have a clue.  Again, until he shows me that my trust is misplaced.  There is no "necessity" here though, nor do I imagine any though.  Just because he did well with things before means he must do well with the properties of Dune.  But I do think there is a fair chance he will.

As you like to say, something like "we'll see what happens."
I see, yes. I initially kind of felt like it would be DoA just because I thought Blade Runner 2049 had a lame plot and Frank Herbert's hack son was 'advising', but I'm more optimistic now, but yeah, we'll see.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2019, 08:11:23 pm »
I see, yes. I initially kind of felt like it would be DoA just because I thought Blade Runner 2049 had a lame plot and Frank Herbert's hack son was 'advising', but I'm more optimistic now, but yeah, we'll see.

Well, I think Blade Runner 2049 was entertaining, but indeed far from perfect.  My guess will be that Dune ends up like that.

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2019, 03:49:44 am »
I've been watching clips of the David Lynch "Dune" from 1985. Underrated.
"The heart of any other, because it has a will, would remain forever mysterious."

-from "Snow Falling On Cedars", by David Guterson

Francis Buck

• Kcub Sicnarf
  • Kijneta
  • The Lordlady
  • Philosoraptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2019, 05:22:43 am »
Hans Zimmer got tapped to score.

Hellz to the yeah! We need that LOTR-level iconic OST for Dune. 

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2019, 02:24:03 pm »
I've been watching clips of the David Lynch "Dune" from 1985. Underrated.

Agreed, I liked the Lynch Dune movie, but I'm looking forward to a new treatment of it. I didn't like Lynch's treatment of House Harkonen, but I liked what he did with the Atriedes, Fremen and the Bene Gesserit. It was well directed, good acting, some nice cinematography and fun to watch. Some of the score was good as well.
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2019, 03:25:28 pm »
Patrick Stewart as Gurney Halleck!
"The heart of any other, because it has a will, would remain forever mysterious."

-from "Snow Falling On Cedars", by David Guterson