Cormac McCarthy

• 6 Replies

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« on: June 12, 2019, 02:16:35 am »
Here's a thread for all things CMcC...starting with this recent analysis (some spoilers) of "Blood Meridian".

https://churchlifejournal.nd.edu/articles/cormac-mccarthys-polysemous-monster/
"The heart of any other, because it has a will, would remain forever mysterious."

-from "Snow Falling On Cedars", by David Guterson

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 12:18:09 pm »
I'd have to say, I was not a fan of Blood Meridian.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 03:44:26 pm »
From the thrust of the article, I don't think that I would enjoy reading BM either. But CMcC does seem to telling a tale of demons walking the earth; indeed, creating their own Hell on earth. So, to that extent, he is exploring some of Bakker's concerns.
"The heart of any other, because it has a will, would remain forever mysterious."

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 03:58:34 pm »
Oh, and how about the title of that article? "Cormac McCarthy's Polysemous Monster". Polysemous = many meanings.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 04:13:41 pm »
From the thrust of the article, I don't think that I would enjoy reading BM either. But CMcC does seem to telling a tale of demons walking the earth; indeed, creating their own Hell on earth. So, to that extent, he is exploring some of Bakker's concerns.

Blood Meridian is a known entity for influencing TJE. I can see the connections, and McCarthy is obviously a fine writer, but I'm just not a fan of either Westerns (apparently) or his writing style (as it pertains to this book). And yes, I suspect given your reactions to TSA and obviously Neuropath, I'd imagine you wouldn't find the subject of BM appealing.

Polysemous is another new word today. You're full of them!
One of the other conditions of possibility.

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 04:39:41 pm »
And yes, I suspect given your reactions to TSA and obviously Neuropath, I'd imagine you wouldn't find the subject of BM appealing.
You've got me there, Wilshire.I realize that in previous posts I've been somewhat unfair to Bakker, given that there is a possibility in TNG of some kind of final defeat of the Consult/No-God/Tekne. And I also understand those readers who prefer an Earwa shut to the Outside. Bakker, in fact, certainly ends TUC with some hope for readers like myself.

As for McCormac, having read some other works, he seems to stress the sheer implacable nature of Evil, and that there are no easy answers to defeating or even mitigating it. I find it emotionally very hard to read writers like McCormac and Bakker, but it seems to be very necessary to do so.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 08:29:23 pm by BeardFisher-King »

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 08:27:35 pm »
Polysemous is another new word today. You're full of them!
Oh, that's not all I'm full of, or so I've been told....  ;)