• Kijneta
  • The True Old Name
  • Damnation Dealer
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2014, 04:43:47 pm »
Well how about that?! Now that is what i call "perfect service to the fans"  ;D
Thanks, delavagus, highly appreciated.

And cool maps!

About the advance payment....PM me and we can talk  ;)
I'm trapped in Darkness
Still I reach out for the Stars

"GoT is TSA's less talented but far more successful step-brother" - Wilshire

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2014, 05:45:13 pm »
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

reichorn

• The Afflicted Few
  • Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2014, 04:30:38 pm »
Thanks again for the link, Madness!  I hope some folks will check out Chapter 14, which I also posted.  I'm quite fond of it, and nobody's read it before... so I have no idea if it's actually any good!

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2014, 11:28:44 pm »
I hope you got my petty notation on Ch. 14, delavagus :).
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

reichorn

• The Afflicted Few
  • Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2014, 02:05:38 pm »
Folks may have noticed that I took down all my writing from TPB.  I'd had various drafts of the opening chapters up there for over two years.  I decided it was time to withdraw.

I've recently come to the realization that, try as I might, I've not been able to devote the mental or emotional energy to the novel that it requires.  This has been going on for... well... for several years now.  I feel as though all the work I've done on it in that time has been done in a sort of half-daze; some of it's been good, but overall... not good enough.  (I was looking at some of my world-building notes last night -- and it was as though someone else had written them!)  Looking ahead, though, I think I should be able to get a fresh start on it.  I decided, however, that the best way to do that was to pull my extremities back into my shell, hunker down, and get to work.

At any rate, I'm writing this in hopes that some of the many, many folks who have generously taken the time to read and comment on my various efforts these past couple years will see it so that I can say THANK YOU.  It's been both very helpful to me and just a great experience interacting with readers.  I know I have at tendency to 'push back' against reviews, esp. when they're posted online; but there are reasons for that, and anyway, it never means that I don't take every single review seriously.

I hope you got my petty notation on Ch. 14, delavagus :).

Of course, Madness!  And it wasn't 'petty' at all -- it was very helpful.  Thank you for everything!

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2014, 04:47:02 pm »
Can't say I know much about writing, but Bakker claims to have taken like 8 years to write TDTCB. I say you are right on track for something great.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

reichorn

• The Afflicted Few
  • Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2014, 02:45:24 am »
Hey everyone!

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I decided it's better than starting a new thread somewhere else...

I have a question/proposal to put to all you Second Apocalypsers:  Is anyone interested in collaborating with me on some world-building stuff?  I have in mind, in particular, map-making -- not only large-scale, but also (perhaps especially) small-scale stuff, like cities and particular areas in which certain events might take place (e.g., battles).  I'd really appreciate help with this sort of thing.

( My 'inner lawyer' insists that I mention right off the bat that what I have in mind would entail that I, Roger Eichorn, retain ownership of the intellectual property rights to anything that we come up with.  Basically, I'm asking if you want to work for me for free... )

Here's the background, vis-a-vis me and my project:  I'm making a fresh start on Three Roses, and writing in general.  My decade-long 'Going To School' project has finally landed me in a place where I have room to reincorporate fiction-writing into my life in a major way.  I've decided that all the work I've done on TR since starting graduate school (i.e., everything I've done on the "new" draft... -- never mind, there's a long, boring compositional history behind TR, I won't get into it) -- anyway, I've decided it's all sub-par material.  I can do better.  The problem has been that graduate school has, until now, taken up too much of my mental, emotional, and creative energies.  With some of that burden now lifted, I feel like a 'new man' working on TR.

I'm ready to kick ass.

So do you want to help me?  I mentioned map-making.  The sorry fact of the matter is that (a) I have a very 'visual' writing imagination, not in the sense that I'm easily able to visualize what I'm writing about, but in the sense that I'm very inspired and driven by visual materials, such as maps; and (b) I have neither the affinity nor the interest in actually creating such visual materials myself.  I want to find them already-made for me.  As long as what's done is consonant with certain specific facts I've already laid out, then I'm open to pretty much whatever when it comes to this sort of thing.

An example might help.  As part of an attempt to 'go back to my roots' as a fantasy writer, I've begun listening to the audiobooks of Jordan's Wheel of Time series.  Since I'm not re-reading the books themselves, I don't have any of Jordan's maps handy.  I went looking online, and found a whole bunch, many of which are fan-made.  Immediately, I thought, "Wow, I'd love to have something like this for my world!"  Hence this post.

Here's a link to a photo:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-zF5vHyezU8k/UDCwfRbnR3I/AAAAAAAAF2I/glNLlVxFEgo/s1600/Tear.jpg

(I hope it works.  I got the link of Google Images.)  The photo looks really good, I think.  I don't know if this one in particular is fan-made or if someone scanned it from somewhere.  I think it's fan-made.  I don't know.  Anyway, stuff like this would be amazing to have for TR -- obviously.

Also, if anyone else has any ideas of what they might like to work with me on (besides map-making), I'd love to hear them.  In this day and age, I don't see why world-building can't benefit from some sort of 'crowd-sourcing.'  Right?

On the other hand, if this whole request is ludicrously presumptuous, I apologize.  Just ignore it, then!

- Rog

Garet Jax

« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2014, 12:39:30 am »
There are several people here I could recommend that you petition for help over myself, but landscapes and detailed/balanced drawings are something that I "excel" at.

If you want to PM me some descriptions or story excerpts, I will work up some sketches in graphite to see if we are on the same page?

Either way, good luck with your writing, it has been stellar so far.

reichorn

• The Afflicted Few
  • Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2014, 02:38:20 am »
Awesome!  Thanks, Garet!  I'll be in touch soon...

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2014, 09:39:08 pm »
New draft here!

Pretty good stuff. Also, map.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Kellais

• Kijneta
  • The True Old Name
  • Damnation Dealer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2014, 12:23:46 pm »
Good to see you back on the writing-horse, so to speak, Rog! :)
And having a map handy is always a plus in my book...but then i'm sure you already knew (as i asked for maps on the previous page ;D )

I'll read as the time allows. Good luck with all your restructuring!
I'm trapped in Darkness
Still I reach out for the Stars

"GoT is TSA's less talented but far more successful step-brother" - Wilshire

reichorn

• The Afflicted Few
  • Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2014, 10:01:34 pm »
Thanks for the boost, Madness, and to everybody who has read, esp. those who have commented.  It's been so great these past few years to know that I can turn to you guys to get a second, or third, or fourth set of eyes on my drafts.

I hope you all get to read the completed book (indeed, the completed series) someday.  I have the whole thing, all six books, outlined, and I'm really excited about it.  (The series used to be broken into three huge books, now it's six reasonably sized ones.)  I think I've got something new, at least in terms of how the story is structured (it spans generations, so it can't afford to fall into the day-to-day-to-day trap one finds in, say, Jordan or Martin).

Anyway, thanks again, everybody.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2015, 08:10:02 pm »
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

reichorn

• The Afflicted Few
  • Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2016, 07:06:50 pm »
You guys must be mightily sick of hearing this, but -- wait for it... -- I scrapped what I had of Three Roses and have begun again, again.  If you have the stomach for yet another dive, take a plunge:

https://reichorn.wordpress.com/sample-chapters/

If you do, I think (= hope) that you'll agree that THIS IS THE ONE GODDAMMIT ALL TO HELL.

I've never been so pleased with how the book is coming together.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #59 on: June 11, 2016, 07:08:17 pm »
Fuck ya, buddy :)!

I can't wait to enjoy this later this evening with a beer and a smoke.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer