• 2 Replies

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« on: January 11, 2024, 08:00:43 pm »
Another year. Since this is the place i most consistently write down my book notes I will keep the annual post going.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

The P

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2024, 01:49:21 pm »
Hey, I'll try to last longer than 4 months this year.

The Adventures of Amina al-Sirafi by S. A. Chakraborty (1)

(for book club) This was pretty good.  Takes place in the Indian Ocean around 3-400AD starring a semi-retired female pirate and her crew.  I like the older protagonist a la Gemmel's Legend, my one real complaint is the characters all seem to think and behave like modern people rather than what would be more in line with the setting.  It's a kinda long ago prequel to some trilogy she wrote, but I don't think I'm impressed enough to read more.

Return to Edan by Philip Chase (2)

This really dragged on.  The second book kinda had the big conflict of the story, and most of this finale felt like falling action.  The writing is pretty good, and I'd maybe consider reading something else he writes since I generally liked the first two books in the trilogy.

The P

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2024, 09:49:55 pm »
Traitor of Redwinter by Ed McDonald (3)

This is the second in the series.  I like it.  It's not as good as his previous trilogy, and tends a little closer to general fantasy than "grimdark."  This one is a little more magic school-ey, but it does a good job of not being annoying about it.