• 53 Replies

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2013, 10:17:09 pm »
Quote from: Wilshire
Aporos was a Nonmen magic like the gnosis, quoted above I believe it was created to war against themselves though this was quickly banned.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2013, 10:17:13 pm »
Quote from: lockesnow
a chorae is a sphere, what if Kellhus were to write aporetic script into the very ground from on high, and turn the whole world into a chorae?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2013, 10:17:19 pm »
Quote from: Triskele
a chorae is a sphere, what if Kellhus were to write aporetic script into the very ground from on high, and turn the whole world into a chorae?

To what end?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2013, 10:17:24 pm »
Disenchant the world?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2013, 10:17:28 pm »
Quote from: Madness
Alright, let's check this - Wilshire, I'll find you that quote about Achamian when my newest copy of TJE arrives.

+1 Duskweaver and Wilshire. Big +1 for Cleric, not being Nil'giccas based on the depth of his mark and his disproportionate - though, I can imagine this being a mistaken retcon.

So you're suggesting that to become an Aporetic, Aporatic or Aporic (which is better?) Sorcerer has to submit to only negating all other sorceries?

Wow... Wicked.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2013, 10:17:38 pm »
I just see no other way possible for a schoolman to manufacture chorae.

I was referring to when Akka was all tied up and the chorae was closeish to his face and he could feel himself salting... That was WLW, near the end before the dragon.

At a quick glance through, WLW page 531 English hardcover 1st edition.
"Lord Kosoter turned to Cleric, who stood looming behind. His Chorae drifted a fraction nearer as he did so, blistering the Wizard's cheek with salt"

And the first encounter with Chorae. TDTCB english small edition, page 36-38.
Nothing specific to quote there unfortunately. Nothing is mentioned of him actually salting nor how far away the chorae is.

Looks like more will need to be found as neither place mentions anything about proximity. I guess for the sake of my own argument, I could say that they should be relatively the same distance as they are kind of the same scene (Akka pinned down, man with chorae dangling 'near'). But that is mostly biased perspective an nothing more.

Besides, maybe the salting is more of an absolute distance thing rather than a gradient. So even a micron outside some absolute threshold there would be no salting observed.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2013, 10:17:41 pm »
lots of salting in Cil Aujus.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2013, 10:17:46 pm »
Quote from: Ciogli
I think all of the original Aporetic sorceries have long since died in the time of the first wars, or they would have been able to manufacture limitless amounts. And I believe on the old forum that Bakker said that the Aporos was a dead branch of sorcery, but he might not be able to resist putting Aporetic sorcry into the story.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2013, 10:17:51 pm »
Quote from: Curethan
I wonder if prophecy fits within the purveiw of the Aporos.

"All the prophecies must be respected.  The true and the false..."

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2013, 10:17:55 pm »
Questions regarding Chorae:

Can normal people sense, in any way, that the chorae are some kind of absence (like a schoolman does)?
Normal people meaning people who cannot see the onta.

Should a skin-spy (or similar unsouled things) be able to sense the difference between a chorae and a rock?

One more regarding timeline I guess:
When did Soma become a skin-spy? I forget.

edit.
well i suppose the questions are still there, but the reason I asked was due to an improper interpretation of the text

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2013, 10:18:03 pm »
Quote from: Callan S.
but Sorcery is the Co-opting of God's Song? Still blows me away.
And why the Cish can cast without attention, because they use passion - much like the cants of compulsion tortured Xinemus and felt like his very own emotions and urgings. So when they made him say pity is the only love Akka would ever find, Xinemus felt this through to his heart. So too do the Cish enact the god to act, but it thinks it it's own will.

Another blind side.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2013, 10:18:09 pm »
Quote from: Auriga
I wonder what the inner workings of the Aporos are? We've heard that it's based in contradictions and basically "canceling out" the blot of sorcery, but how does it actually work out? Wouldn't anti-sorcery sorcerers get killed by their own Chorae? And does the Aporos exist in actual spells, like the other branches of sorcery?

but Sorcery is the Co-opting of God's Song? Still blows me away.
That's yet another thing Bakker copied from Tolkien. Not a concept original to PON, although Bakker expanded a lot on it. (Specifically, Tolkien's universe has a creation myth where God and the Ainur (angelic beings) sang the world into existence. This is why, for example, the magical duel with Sauron takes the form of a song battle, where the two duelists are basically re-singing God's song at each other.)

The ideas behind the Gnosis/Anagogis/Psukhe are inventions of Bakker's, though. I found the focus on language and meaning to be endlessly interesting.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2013, 10:18:14 pm »
Auriga, can you point me to any obvious allusion towards this in PON or TAE? See beyond that comment and a poster, Feanor, here, I never, ever connected Tolkien's Music to Bakker's sorcery until this comment.

Borque

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2013, 06:29:27 pm »
And does the Aporos exist in actual spells, like the other branches of sorcery?
Aporetic sorcerers speak the utteral backwards, on inhalation.

A long time ago, on a forum far, far away (can't find the thread now) I raised the possibility that the Consult has full knowledge of the Aporos, and/or fully functional Aporetic sorcerers. So I have good hope of seeing some of this in TUC.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 06:41:55 pm by Borque »

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2013, 10:51:31 pm »
Well, arguably, there's a small chance that some of the original Quya practitioners still exist and work with the Consult. Though, considering the extermination the Inchoroi and their original Nonman allies, I'd say that the original Aporetic Quya are likely dead.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer