• 33 Replies

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2013, 11:34:27 pm »
Quote from: bbaztek
Bear with me on this, but I believe the dunyain experience of reality is analogous to sorcery, in that members of both groups are born with a latent ability to perceive reality-as-it-is (the onta is described in the glossary as seeing "creation-as-created"), which eventually allows them to exercise considerable influence over their environment. Except the dunyain inhabit causality and shape events from within the system, sorcery is a direct influence on the onta without any intermediary step. Sort of fixing the engine in your car all by yourself vs. having some really good but batshit mechanic do it who plasters the hood of your car with ugly decals.

Maybe to escape damnation, the proto-dunyain needed to divorce all sorcerous connotation from the experience of the onta, so they retreated to Ishual and burned everything that had a whiff a sorcery on it. I don't know exactly what I'm trying to say here and how it plays into the overall themes of the series, but it's interesting to see how the desire to control reality can take such divergent and effective paths.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2013, 11:34:34 pm »
Quote from: Madness
I definitely feel like there is a proper pose to harness that perception, bbaztek.

As well the College of Luthymae would add to your metaphor - they probably share similar philosophies, cultivating their relationship with God's perception.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2013, 11:34:39 pm »
Quote from: Duskweaver
Luthymae
Anyone know where that name comes from, BTW?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2013, 11:34:45 pm »
Nope. They're an interesting aspect of the books that is never really explored - they use their perception of the onta and its bruises to persecute the Few :shock: . Too cool. Fuck, I'm going to work on my Wizard hunting story :P.