• 41 Replies

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2013, 12:38:47 am »
Quote from: jan
Maybe I will give that John Marco guy a chance,sounds interesting.

Do have a long list of non-fiction books,and a 6 months old baby in the house,so I can`t read all day anymore:)

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2013, 12:38:51 am »
Quote from: Madness
Lol, reading all day is for kids ;). But I still read every chance I can get through a couple pages.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2013, 12:38:56 am »
haha,well I have a job which I can pretty much do what I want,so I get alot of reading done there.

At home I have no time at all:)

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2013, 12:39:01 am »
Haha! I first read the PON working at a full-serve PetroCan. I am Kellhus of 13 gas pumps :twisted: .

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2013, 12:39:06 am »
haha,its great not to work while at work:)

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2013, 12:39:11 am »
Buddy, I wish now. Do you realize how hard it is to run a restaurant and tell people to hold on while I just finish this damn page ;)?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2013, 12:39:15 am »
I can imagine that being non profitable for you:)
Set up a little library,and suggest an hour of "food for the brain" after dessert:)

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2013, 12:39:24 am »
Haha! Love the thoughts - if only it were my restaurant... but no, I'm just part management team at yet another corporate nation.

Though I tell you. You'd not believe the judgements people make based on what I'm reading at any given time... speaks to the general ignorance of the Western Empire - even its fringe settlements.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2013, 12:39:29 am »
yes,those people pop up here in Norway too(of course they are everywhere)

Norway its such a strange country.So much wealth,and so few individuals.Our "problems" are a joke compared to almost any other nation on the planet.You would probably compare Norway to other European countries,which is wrong.We should be compared to Kuwait,Quatar etc,which are countries with an insanely amount of oil and few citicens to take care of.
Its really weird to exist here,knowing how the state is elsewhere.

Ignorance is bliss no matter where you are(I think):)   What pisses me off the most is people who entertain themselves with crappy movies or sub par literature because "I don`t want to think". To me that is an amazing statement:)

there are rather few people around me I can recommend books to,and that is why I love the internet.

There are no borders on the net,no distance,and it will set the pace for a new world:)

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2013, 12:39:35 am »
Quote from: Wilshire
the last book i recomended to an actual person was Joe Abercrombie's First Law to my girlfriend, and subsequently her family. They all loved it.
Though I hope they don't come back looking for more entertaining fiction because they wouldn't like RSB. Oh wait, scratch that, they might enjoy Disciple of the Dog... but hopefully I can convince them to read TSA so they can forever judge me... Heretic.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2013, 12:39:40 am »
What pisses me off the most is people who entertain themselves with crappy movies or sub par literature because "I don`t want to think". To me that is an amazing statement:)

I've had this discussion in a number of different venues but I can't blame people for their ignorance. Most people are simply a product of the complexity Kellhus takes such advantage of. Hell, I've spent half of my life actively trying to understanding why I am who I am. Most don't even seem to have the initial ability to leverage themselves into self-reflection? And there are just so many cultural and social structures devoted to circumventing our choices, dictating our darkness.

there are rather few people around me I can recommend books to,and that is why I love the internet.

There are no borders on the net,no distance,and it will set the pace for a new world:)

It's a vital resource, which we need to protect as a species - there are those of us who wish only to control it, not enable it. We need a network, independent of institution. Humans for humans. Hackers will be instrumental in defending this generation of human freedom.

Heretic.

No better place to be than here ;).

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2013, 12:39:47 am »
I totally agree

The most interesting people to talk to(or read) are for me those ones who are not stuck in a certain pattern of thinking.
People who say "I don`know,but maybe...." instead of pretending they know for certain.
Im not slagging off education in that sense,but sometimes you get stuck in the patterns of your curriculum,and if you add to that the money spent to enhance yourself in this particular way,you will most likely defend that bought knowledge with your claws out

If you for instance listen to Mckenna,you become aware of various kinds of education,and most defenetly will be compelled to his way of thinking well outside the box:)

Im not saying there is a right or wrong way,just that there are plenty of ways(if you think about it:))

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2013, 12:39:52 am »
I'm not exactly morning sharp at the moment, which is upsetting as I was startled awake and am starting my day early lol :(. Definitely first world problem. But there is a nice metaphor in conversation that Proyas reflects on between him and Achamian about saying "I don't know," doubting, and how only the wisest and most intelligent in Proyas' childhood environment are those to doubt most often.

All is learning, jan. Every moment, all experience. Measure is unceasing ;). To reject spontaneous knowledge because of its medium is ignorance in a most distilled form.

I've always loved McKenna's enthusiasm, his courage, his insight. I might not advocate some of his teachings but its hard not to read his words or listen to him speak without him seeming very concise, well-read, and topical. His understanding of social interactions and collective agency is peerless. And it helps that Food of the Gods might well be the most original and rigorous piece of academia on hallucinogens and human evolution ever.

Plenty of ways :).

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2013, 12:39:57 am »
Plenty of ways :).
the trackless steppe

What Came Before