• 33 Replies

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« on: June 02, 2013, 04:05:52 pm »
Quote from: sologdin
just wanted to say thanks for administering this site.  i think it's a valuable contribution and am pleased to particpate.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 04:05:59 pm »
Quote from: Wilshire
+2, sir.
Without you running this show it would be a mess at best, but probably an utter disaster. Thanks for all you hard work.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 04:06:06 pm »
Quote from: Triskele
That is well said, solodgin.  Well said, indeed. 

I am a broken record on this, but I'm actually not a huge fan of fantasy.  GRRM and RSB are the only two where I would murder the world for the next book.

Madness taught me the lesson of lessons:  measure is unceasing. 

But Madness, I hope that you realize the significance of this lesson.  Old measure is only grounds for the new.

+ the 3rd

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 04:06:15 pm »
Quote from: Church
would also like to express my appreciation. Here's a little madness related quote for you:

"In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom" (Ballard)

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 04:06:22 pm »
Quote from: Madness
Don't know what to say. I will strive to be measured. Cheers. I'm also excited to be an aspect of this experience. It's going to get mind-blowing :D...

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 04:06:29 pm »
Quote from: Curethan
we <3 you madness ;)

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 04:06:36 pm »
Lmao, for laughs I reread that as we greater 3 you madness... Now I can't get that song from Slackers out of my head.

Musical interlude:

Three is a magic number[/u]

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 04:06:43 pm »
Quote from: Curethan
lol, I could've just +4'ed the thread, but I had to go with <3.

:D

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 04:06:50 pm »
Quote from: Triskele
By the way, Madness, here is some totally unsolicited advice for the nascent board.

I feel like this, while it doesn't have a lot of traffic, is very strong post-for-post in the early-going.  There's only a handful of regulars, but most posts are either substantive, ironic, or appropriate in some fashion.  The posts are neat and easy to follow.  This is good.

Over at westeros.org they do the God's work in keeping things tidy, but work it remains.  There are plenty terrible contributions that think it's a chat room (full disclosure:  I was once one of these) or people quoting the entire large body of a post and other messy stuff. 

Anything you can do to maintain the quality if and when the quantity goes up would be most noble. 

What's that, Wilshire?  Did you just volunteer to be a board moderator?  That is noble stuff, Sir.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 04:06:59 pm »
Ty, Curethan.

I'm in for the adventure, Trisk. I haven't felt overwhelmed in the least and if and when I do I'll put up notice for volunteers... I share your hope that I one day will be :D!

Who knows. This place might just explode with avid posters one day - they seem to be trickling in already. Plus, the regulars provide such quality examples of manner and composure ;).

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2013, 04:07:10 pm »
Haha Trisk I see what you did there. I'd be some kind of something if asked, but Madness has everything under control as far as I can tell.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2013, 04:07:18 pm »
Quote from: lockesnow
having run a smallish author-related fan board like this for the last ten years (with about this level of activity that whole time) I think you won't have to worry about having as active moderation as the westeros staff.

What will probably happen is that each of the book forums will stagnate because the topics for each book will be more less retired by the current generation of posters and when noobs come knocking it will seem that no one is home because the other community discussion has migrated to the non-book fora (for example the current misc forum is likely to become the center of most board discussion)

otoh, westeros hasn't suffered from this problem too much but then the new book and the show has reinvigorated the old book forums in a remarkable way, resulting in a new generational wave rather than a trickle.  It's unlikely, in my experience, that such a wave will happen here.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2013, 04:07:26 pm »
That's real cool, lockesnow.

Lol, the fact that there's even a slow trickle of new membership and only a fraction of us post is hopeful, in and of itself. The way back machine puts old Three Seas membership at 297 as of May, 2011. So we're over halfway there already.

I guess it depends on whether Bakker breaks out, either through the existing medium of the books themselves, or some new medium like a show, movie, comic, and depending on how much social dissemination helps him out as he's put himself into the social intranet.

I'm beyond pleased with where we're sitting 7ish months in. I'll be ecstatic if this ever challenges my engagement. Regardless, I'm only too happy to perpetuate the social dividends of Bakker having an active membership.

We're generating something novel here... it'll all come back around in more mind-bending writing - by Bakker and by members - which then challenges me and sharpens my worldview. Too cool.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2013, 04:07:36 pm »
Quote from: bbaztek
Gotta say out of all the forums I've been a part of, I've never seen so many bright, articulate people coming together and actually discussing something with a minimum of bullshit and e-pissing contests. I like to think Bakker lurks here, and even he's slapping his forehead sometimes going 'why didn't I think of that?' That's about the best compliment I can give a fan board. Keep up the good work, guys.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2013, 04:07:44 pm »
Quote from: bbaztek
Gotta say out of all the forums I've been a part of, I've never seen so many bright, articulate people coming together and actually discussing something with a minimum of bullshit and e-pissing contests. I like to think Bakker lurks here, and even he's slapping his forehead sometimes going 'why didn't I think of that?' That's about the best compliment I can give a fan board. Keep up the good work, guys.

You know its funny you think that, because he does, albeit rarely, wonder around this forum. He's said the he has to stay away from places like this because some of the stuff that is said does make him question.

:)