Illuminatus

• 7 Replies

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
  • There are no facts,only interpretations- Nietzsche
    • View Profile
« on: December 27, 2013, 10:31:39 am »
Just wanted to shear this passage with you:)

"And Spaceship Earth, that glorious and bloody circus, continued its four billion-year long spiral orbit about the Sun; the engineering,
I must admit, was so exquisite that none of the passengers felt any motion at all. Those on the dark side of the ship mostly slept and
voyaged into worlds of freedom and fantasy; those on the light side moved about the tasks appointed for them by their rulers, or idled
waiting for the next order from above".

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 07:56:50 pm »
Spiral orbit? Thought it was elliptical :P

Cool post though.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 08:41:55 pm »
 :o!

Good sir. Have you of all people not been exposed to the spiral or vortex motion of the solar system?

If true, rectify this. Even if the spiral or vortex conception of the solar systems movement through the galaxy isn't valid, it makes for amazing looking diagrams.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wic

• The Afflicted Few
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 11:30:33 pm »
Mad - absolute, nonsensical garbage has to have amazing diagrams, if anyone's gonna take it seriously. ;) 

Ya ever notice how they make it look like the solar system's plane is about a right angle to the galactic plane?  It's really more like 60 degrees.  That would just look way more ridiculous.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 01:29:34 pm »
Mad - absolute, nonsensical garbage has to have amazing diagrams, if anyone's gonna take it seriously. ;) 

Ya ever notice how they make it look like the solar system's plane is about a right angle to the galactic plane?  It's really more like 60 degrees.  That would just look way more ridiculous.

Lol - amazing diagrams are a must.

I realize we mathematically verify as much as possible but I think, however you slice it, that we constrain our assumptions about trajectory to collisions. If we haven't witness a novel collision in an unexpected way, it doesn't inform our hypotheses. It could be increasingly chaotic out there; I'm not sure we have a great enough understanding of how we're whirled about galatic center or the gravity that greases set whirling. I always did think it makes very little intuitive sense that all the planets would be restricted to some kind of plane, like imaging the planets circling each other and the sun and galactic center on the flat plane of a table top.

Ender's Game forever made my perception of space malleable. The enemy's gate is down ;).
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wic

• The Afflicted Few
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 06:16:03 am »
Sure, in many aspects we're just creating models that are approximate versions of the way things really behave, but the question of our solar system's orbit through the galaxy is relatively (ha!) simple.  Intuitive sense goes out the window when we talk about gravitation on a scale that large - our intuition with gravity amounts to 'up and down'.  We even speak of the Earth orbiting the sun, even though they both orbit around a central point in equal parts, according to mass.

The flatness of our galaxy (and many others, but maybe not most) and our solar systems owes to entropy and the tendency to settle and radiate energy.  This covers it pretty well.  Mathematically, this actually gives us a reason to think the universe on large scales truly is 3D (or holographic 2D), as most other sets of dimensions don't possess the capacity for a construct called 'curl', which is what causes things like eddies and tornadoes and anything where a substance spirals in two dimensions and relieves that energy through a third.

...anyway, the point is that spiraling planetary orbits would just be so blatantly obvious, through redshifting, transverse motion of other stars, internal behavior, and surely all kindsa other shit, it's silly to bring up right from the word 'go'.  Like young- or hollow-earthers.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 02:06:57 pm »
You make me happy in the brain, Wic ;).

Thanks for the taking the time. And for the link; though your explanation was absolutely adequate.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 03:13:52 am »
Now I'm afraid to look it up for fear of putting on a dunce cap and being sent to the corner.
One of the other conditions of possibility.