Kellhus a student of the Aporos?

• 34 Replies

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« on: November 27, 2014, 08:43:57 pm »
Ok so we know that the Aporos is a sort of anti magic, regardless of the thematurgical implications. Do we think Kellhus has any knowledge and understanding of Aporetic sorcery? Could he manufacture a chorae (given the right materials) do we think he might know how? Could he work it out through inferred facts?

There might be Nonmen alive with knowledge of the Aporos.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 01:17:37 am »
I think that given the effects of chorae on a schoolman, I'm going to conlcude that no schoolman that has used any major cants/wards could actually practice the Aporos without salting.

That said, he might have had time to discover the lost art, extrapolate, and instruct some Few, like the college of Luthymae, how to use it.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 02:44:54 pm »
Ah so here is a crux. Do we assume the creators of the Aporos were not sorcerous? By its nature the creation of the Aporos circumvents its sorcerous creation?

Maybe the Chorae are themauturgical in nature? We know very little about the Aporos and the manufacture of the Chorae.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 02:56:14 pm »
I have speculated before, maybe on the Sorcery topic, but I'm not going to go back and look for it.

I think the Aporos would have been theorized by your typical Quya, or perhaps a Nonman philosopher. However, due to the Aporos being anathema to Sorcery, I think its practitioners would necessarily have to be of the Few, but unmarred by the use of magic.

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 10:49:36 am »
I think that given the effects of chorae on a schoolman, I'm going to conlcude that no schoolman that has used any major cants/wards could actually practice the Aporos without salting.

That said, he might have had time to discover the lost art, extrapolate, and instruct some Few, like the college of Luthymae, how to use it.

perhaps an Aporetic sorcerer could utter 1 nuclear cant before salting?  kind of sorcerous suicide bomber?

i love the idea of Luthymae hiding aporetic secrets!

that we have only ever seen aporetic sorcery in tiny spheres is strange, you'd think someone somewhere would prefer a tiny cube or ring or have a whole sword or shield made of the stuff

about Kellhus learning the Aporos, idk.  he seemed to require expert instruction to learn the Gnosis and the Daimos, it could be that the Aporos, whatever it is, is so technical that even a Dunyain can't backwards engineer it (within 20 years, while conquering/ruling the world, making babies, and preparing for the coming of Mog, looting nonman mansions, experiementing with the limits of the Gnosis, interrogating skin spies, brushing his teeth, probability trancing, the occasional poop and peepee)

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 02:32:00 pm »
I think once Kell had the Gnosis, if could have figured out the Aporetic cants, maybe even including the Daimos. They are all logically connected I would think. However, the Aporos might be on a whole different playing field, and he would need, at the very least, some texts describing the basics. He needs something to extrapolate from, and I'm not sure the Gnosis holds that key. The Nonmen had banned its use and research long before the Tutelage, so he'd have to find some Nonman to teach him.

Simas Polchias

• Kijneta
  • Consult Fanboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015, 12:33:52 am »
Wilshire, it seems we have a defining quote: "The Gnosis is simply what the Anagogis could be if the proper conceptual leaps were made" - which states an evolutionary link between two magical paradigms. All we need to consider is a factor of a nonmen participation, a true reason of that short "if".
Maybe, nonmen tutelage was just a time-saver which gave halaroi a new branch of sorcery a few thousand years earlier. Maybe, nonman's cognition is truly alien and acts as an essential ingredient, so halaroi by itself are limited to the forms of anagogic sorcery and, if they are too lucky, they can comprehend and repeat some gnostic explanations of Gin'Yursis.
First variant states for Kellhus ability to reinvent Aporos on the fly, because he was clearly making scientific breakthroughs while just listening to Akka's teachings abouth common math, logic etc. Second variant states for a bridge where even Aspect Emperor shall not pass. No halaroi allowed, lol, even if they are tweaked ones!
As for myself the second options looks more real. Two thousand years passed but there is no big signs that "conceptual leaps" could be made through pure human efforts. And we're talking abouth Scarlet Spires here. About few-hundred-year-old-mageocracy with tremendous intellectual power, who knows the overall direction of research.
So I can only guess what halaroi lack to invent gnosis and/or aporos by themselves. After all, cunuroi were a long-living specie with a lifespan about 400 years even before the inchoroi. Maybe it's just a difficulty of culture transmission & accumulation? One mortal cunuroi philosopher is equal to a sequence of 5-10 mortal halaroi adepts of a certain philosophic school, who will have to study their predecessors reflections and to live under a constant chance of extinction even before making their first worthwhile discoveries. Cunuroi is just a better basket for knowledge. :c

A second thought. Do they use aporos to make anarcane grounds or it's a meta-aporetic level of intervention? The most famous anarcane is Athrithau, located on the far north and near Ishterebinth. A former cunuroi lab, abandoned after ban on the Aporos?

A third thought. They should have some apotetics or meta-aporetics nerds in Min-Uroikas for anarcane is the opposite of topos. And it's generally a bad idea to be horribly damned and at the same time to live right somethere, where curious ciphrangs can just pop out of the thin air and grab your ancient consulty ass.

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2015, 06:03:53 am »
Aporetics have no effect on a topos because like the shade of gin yursis the frame moves with them, it's why akka thinks the chorae should not have worked

Simas Polchias

• Kijneta
  • Consult Fanboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2015, 01:49:42 pm »
Aporetics have no effect on a topos because like the shade of gin yursis the frame moves with them, it's why akka thinks the chorae should not have worked
So, it is actually a kind of dûnyain-esque challenge in accordance with their emperical priority principle?
1. When ciphrang are summoned to World, choraes turn them to salt, because World*Aporos comes before Outside.
2. When topoi are formed, Outside comes before World*Aporos and choraes turn out to be completely useless (at best; at worst they may even 'protect' the reality of a local hell like they've protected the reality of a world).
What am I sneaking to? Is meta-aporos or even plain aporos powerful enough to turn the balance again and to come before Outside that came before World? It seems it is all about the proper fulcrum.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 04:41:29 am »
Wilshire, it seems we have a defining quote: "The Gnosis is simply what the Anagogis could be if the proper conceptual leaps were made" - which states an evolutionary link between two magical paradigms. All we need to consider is a factor of a nonmen participation, a true reason of that short "if".
Maybe, nonmen tutelage was just a time-saver which gave halaroi a new branch of sorcery a few thousand years earlier. Maybe, nonman's cognition is truly alien and acts as an essential ingredient, so halaroi by itself are limited to the forms of anagogic sorcery and, if they are too lucky, they can comprehend and repeat some gnostic explanations of Gin'Yursis.
First variant states for Kellhus ability to reinvent Aporos on the fly, because he was clearly making scientific breakthroughs while just listening to Akka's teachings abouth common math, logic etc. Second variant states for a bridge where even Aspect Emperor shall not pass. No halaroi allowed, lol, even if they are tweaked ones!
As for myself the second options looks more real. Two thousand years passed but there is no big signs that "conceptual leaps" could be made through pure human efforts. And we're talking abouth Scarlet Spires here. About few-hundred-year-old-mageocracy with tremendous intellectual power, who knows the overall direction of research.
So I can only guess what halaroi lack to invent gnosis and/or aporos by themselves. After all, cunuroi were a long-living specie with a lifespan about 400 years even before the inchoroi. Maybe it's just a difficulty of culture transmission & accumulation? One mortal cunuroi philosopher is equal to a sequence of 5-10 mortal halaroi adepts of a certain philosophic school, who will have to study their predecessors reflections and to live under a constant chance of extinction even before making their first worthwhile discoveries. Cunuroi is just a better basket for knowledge. :c
I don't agree with your conclusion, mostly for the reasons you stated.
I think the quote points to a surmountable leap from the anagogic to the gnostic sorceries. The nonmen were absolutely ancient when men came to Earwa. 10,000+ years of research, in a society that revered magic, or at least held it in high esteem. Even the SS's several hundred years, or man's several thousands, do not at all compare to the time and resources the Nonmen had. Men have only just started their journey into the realm of magic.

Also, consider we have 2 kinds of sorcery, one of intellect, and one of emotions. The Psuke could never be derived or expounded by Kellhus, but the gnostic/anagogic certainly should be. It pure intellect, and like you said, Kellhus was making massive cognitive leaps when he was being tutored by Akka in all subjects.  I think Kellhus could have derived the Gnosis, if he had only an SS tutor and a few years or decades to study.

A second thought. Do they use aporos to make anarcane grounds or it's a meta-aporetic level of intervention? The most famous anarcane is Athrithau, located on the far north and near Ishterebinth. A former cunuroi lab, abandoned after ban on the Aporos?
I have often thought that this was a distinct possibility.

A third thought. They should have some apotetics or meta-aporetics nerds in Min-Uroikas for anarcane is the opposite of topos. And it's generally a bad idea to be horribly damned and at the same time to live right somethere, where curious ciphrangs can just pop out of the thin air and grab your ancient consulty ass.
The Aporos was pretty well buried when it was banned, so I think its an entirely lost art. Although, does anyone recall if the Consult manufactured their own chorae? If they did have some mastery before, then they might have some frustrating anti-magic tactics

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 01:48:00 pm »
I may be recalling incorrectly but I thought the Aporos was banned before the production of Chorae. The Chorae being made by the defected Nonman Quya who studied the Aporos inside the Ark under the Consult.

Anyone else clarify?

Garet Jax

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 01:56:25 pm »
I think you have it right SR.  The Quya that went over to the consult manufactured Chorae after the Nonmen under CC took them to task...

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2015, 03:09:46 pm »
This seems correct. They gave tons of chorae to sranc, and it seems unlikely that the Nonmen would ever have produced them in that number.

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2015, 03:45:52 pm »
I may be recalling incorrectly but I thought the Aporos was banned before the production of Chorae. The Chorae being made by the defected Nonman Quya who studied the Aporos inside the Ark under the Consult.

Anyone else clarify?
I think you have it right SR.  The Quya that went over to the consult manufactured Chorae after the Nonmen under CC took them to task...

Not the Consult, Inchoroi.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2015, 03:51:54 pm »
An interesting and important distinction. Since the Consult didn't exist for several thousand years, this could me a couple of things.

The Inchoroi themselves learned the Aporos from the Quya defectors. They would therefore have been manufacturing various aporetic devices for millennia.

The Quya Aporetics were unable or unwilling to give the sorcery to the Inchoroi, and it died with them. If some Aporeti exist still, it would potentially have the same effect as stated above.

Shae may have been able to learn the Aporetic arts from either surviving erratic Quya, or from information left behind.