• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2013, 09:03:58 pm »
Sorry, Trisk.

But do us all a favour, please, and read all of Frank Herbert's Dune books :).
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Triskele

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
  • Condouchioned
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2013, 10:52:54 pm »
Sorry, Trisk.

Veering off topic, but I was not all that impressed with the first one.  I think I have to be fair to Herbert and realize that it was written decades ago and was probably incredible for its time, but I didn't get too strong of an urge to read on.  I do have a copy of book 2, so perhaps I'll summon the courage to persist.

It does certainly seem that one ought to know both their Tolkien and their Herbert to fully appreciate Bakker.

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2013, 12:01:53 am »
@ Trisk, I don't think so.

People just like drawing parallels and using analogies. 

Nonmen are elves, Shae is Saruman, Skin-spies are face dancers etc etc. 

These analogs don't really give a better understanding - they might be useful descriptions for those more familiar with the later, but any extra information they transmit is far more likely to diverge from authorial intent than form derived insight.

I suspect authors very rarely base their plotting off the influences that go into their world building.   OTOH if Akka destroys Mog by throwing a ring into a volcano I shall retract this.

That said, God Emperor was a lot better than Dune.  I don't think I can even remember what happened in Messiah, and I could not be arsed reading more after GE -seemed like a great place to leave the series.

On a side note, where are the threads investigating the thematic and stylistic similarities with Homer and Gilgamesh?
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2013, 03:37:05 pm »
I've free much more over Christmas, Curethan :).

I'll gladly attempt some parallels of the Iliad and the Odyssey with PON. Especially since we have a few fairly apparent threads right off the bat. I think Bakker has taken "the Gods moving men" idea and subtly woven it into TSA, and, obviously, we have "death swirling down" and the Homer-esque battle narratives (though, I think Harold Lamb affected Bakker's rendition of Homer's style in a pretty big way).
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2013, 04:52:23 pm »
Sorry, Trisk.

Veering off topic, but I was not all that impressed with the first one.  I think I have to be fair to Herbert and realize that it was written decades ago and was probably incredible for its time, but I didn't get too strong of an urge to read on.  I do have a copy of book 2, so perhaps I'll summon the courage to persist.

It does certainly seem that one ought to know both their Tolkien and their Herbert to fully appreciate Bakker.
take two sequels and call me in the morning.

I've free much more over Christmas, Curethan :).

I'll gladly attempt some parallels of the Iliad and the Odyssey with PON. Especially since we have a few fairly apparent threads right off the bat. I think Bakker has taken "the Gods moving men" idea and subtly woven it into TSA, and, obviously, we have "death swirling down" and the Homer-esque battle narratives (though, I think Harold Lamb affected Bakker's rendition of Homer's style in a pretty big way).
Don't leave out Orlando Furioso

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2013, 02:27:47 pm »
Lol that is interesting but then where do we draw the line ;)? The Renaissance? Enlightenment? Before the Millenia?
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2014, 01:12:04 am »
@ Ciogli - I think that avalanche is very suspicious too.  I suspect the psukhe!

I love the idea of lil dunyains following Akka.  Reminds me of what happens in the last dune book by herbert's son--the lil tliaxu following whatshisname around.

Also, I absolutely love this thing you wrote "The Niom will yield consequences, Sorweel looks to be some sort of sacrifice by Kellhuss to convince the Cunuroi, he no longer has any proximity to Kellhuss and his chorea has been given away. His connection with Yatwer may be suspected, and as the Cunuroi do not worship the spiritual agencies in the Outside, the fact Yatwer wars against Kellhuss may convince them of his mission."

If it does go in the direction of children fighting the war--I am really counting on Meppa teaching Kelmomas the psukhe!