What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2013, 07:16:21 pm »
Quote from: Madness
Seconded on the good post.

You should take a gander at my Unholy Consult post, Wayward. I think you'd be able to catch everything I missed.

Quote from: Wayward Ishroi
Cishaurim use serpents to, "see," the most objective world on this side of reality

This actually isn't specifically the case. The Cishaurim use serpents to see "mundane" creation - however we might define that in this series - and blind themselves in order to see the Outside. Kellhus explains some measure of this to Achamian in TTT and Meppa offers some rounding descriptions, however, I like TWP perspectives best. This is Achamian's:

"Achamian and Xinemus walked the ways of twilight, between light and dark, where only shadows are known. There was no food in this place, no life-giving water, and their bodies, which they carried across their backs the way one might carry a corpse, suffered horribly.

The twilight way. The shadow way. From the port city of Joktha to Caraskand.

When they passed near the camps of the enemy, they could feel the Cishaurim's plucked eyes - brilliant, pure, like a lamplight before a silvered mirror - search for them from beyond the horizon. Many times Achamian felt that otherworldly light throw shadows from their shadows. Many times Achamian thought they were doomed. But always those eyes turned away their inhuman scrutiny, either decided or... Achamian could not say why." p.642-643, TWP

Also, Xinemus soon after offers his perspective.

"'Akka,' Xinemus said, scowling in his queer, eyeless fashion. 'When we walked as shadows ...' ... 'I'm blind,' Xinemus continued, 'Blind as blind could be, Akka! And yet I saw them ... The Cishaurim. I saw them seeing!'

'You did see,' he said carefully, 'in a manner ... There's many ways of seeing. And all of us possess eyes that never breach skin. Men are wrong to think nothing lies between blindness and sight.'

'And the Cishaurim?' Xinemus pressed. "Is that ... Is that how they-'

'The Cishaurim are masters of this interval. They blind themselves, they say, to better see the World Between. According to some, it's the key to their metaphysics.'" p.651-652, TWP

Also, the World Between has it's own Glossary entry.

As to the Nonmen, I just had one thing to add, Wayward. I find it interesting that you think Nil'giccas contemporaneously disagreed with Cu'jara Cinmoi's decision to have the Womb Plague give them immortality - not that the Inchoroi came selling Womb Plague and if the scenario even happens as you say it.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2013, 07:16:29 pm »
Quote from: Wayward Ishroi
Yes, sorry, you've described the Cish use of serpents to see much better... Sort of what I was getting at but didn't come out right. The 'mundane' sight is probably the key descriptor there.

Regarding the Womb Plague and immortality... Yes I think that accepting and consuming it was a choice for the Nonmen, a choice that Cu'jara Cinmoi made first, and through his actions and position as King/Ishroi/Quya influenced the rest of the non men to follow suit.

From Cinial'Jin:
Something. Something in the meat.

I don't actually think it was Nil'giccas who disagreed with the choice to accept the Immortality, and subsequently the Womb Plague , but rather Cinial'jin... The bit about the Ishroi kneeling and madness becoming religion was from one of the earlier edits of T4RoCJ short story:

Cu’jara Cinmoi’s glare somehow slips the uproar and picks him from the confusion. Yes. You know.

From TTT glossary:

Then Nin’janjin returned. Invoking the ancient codes, he appeared before Cû’jara-Cinmoi begging Mercy and Penance. When the High King of Siöl bid Nin’janjin come near so he might see him, he was astonished to discover his old adversary had not aged. Then Nin’janjin revealed his true reason for coming to Siöl. The Inchoroi, he said, were too terrified of Cû’jara-Cinmoi’s might to leave their Ark, so they dwelt in confinement and misery. They had sent him, he claimed, to sue for peace. They wished to know what tribute might temper the High King’s fury.

To which Cû’jara-Cinmoi replied: “I would be young of heart, face, and limb. I would banish Death from the halls of my people.”

So "immortality" was the request CC made of the Inchoroi via Nin'janjin