Earwa > The Thousandfold Thought

So what exactly is the Thousandfold Thought?

(1/21) > >>

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Francis Buck ---I honestly don't get it. I read through that book really fast because I had it from the library late and wanted to finish it, and then I never got the chance to read it again. I've checked out forums to see if anyone ever mentioned it, but I've never seen anything. So I really want to know. Is it just supposed to be Moe's "plan" or whatever? I suspect it's more than that, but I've never been clear on it. Enlighten me.
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Madness ---This is from my Unholy Consult post. Pretty much sums up my views but, obviously, the social implications are always fun to parse. My bolding for context here and spoilers tags are from WLW.

--- Quote from: Madness ---The Thousandfold Thought - The Probability Trance followed long enough reveals the Thousandfold Thought. Moenghus saw it. Kellhus mined its labyrinthine possibilities. (click to show/hide)Inrilatas seems to have devised it in his cage. Maithanet knows of it. And Kelmomas seems able to grasp it.
p. 367, TTT - "The God sleeps ... It has ever been thus. Only by striving for the Absolute may we awaken Him. Meaning. Purpose. These words name not something given ... no, they name our task."

Moenghus seems to suggest that whomever delves the farthest will become Absolute, that the unmoved soul the Dunyain strive for, is the God itself.

Who has delved deepest?
--- End quote ---

It's like Laplace's Demon, Hari Sheldon's Sheldon Plan, Leto's Golden Path. I have another post around here talking about this. It basically describes, deterministically or otherwise, the unfolding of all events - in the Dunyain's case, past, present, and future.
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Swense ---So the Dunyain goal would be to strive to alter that at all - change the utterly deterministic path everything walks?

Edit: the absolute being the moment from which determinism begins?
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Callan S. ---I've only just started considering that it's cloud computing. Kellhus hypnotises them so he can pass data from and, via the fire watching spell, back to him. So he has vastly increased his processing power. His dad couldn't because he needed a way to feed the data back in, but had lost that capacity.
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: sciborg2 ---I thought the inclusion of the soul ensured Earwa was non-deterministic, but then Cnauir actually wonders about this in TTT. Akka talks to him about souls, but he notes that the Dunyain power comes from treating the world as causally closed.

So we're left with uncertainty, or perhaps forced to seek out Stapp's Quantum Consciousness theories. ;-)
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version