[TUC Spoilers] Conditioned ground

• 28 Replies

Stip

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« on: July 30, 2017, 06:14:06 pm »
so how much of the events of The Aspect Emperor are we comfortable attributing to Kellhus

Did he anticipate his posession?

Did he anticipate his death

Did he anticipate the ressurection of the no-god via his son?

Did he anticipate the arrival of mimara and drusas at golgotterah?

Did he anticipate moenghus reuniting with Cnaiur and assuming control of the horde?

Did he anticipate Cnaiurs posession?

Is it possible he knew about Sorweal and wanted kelmonas to interrupt that assasination to set other events in motion?

without some of these moments set up by Kellhus im not sure why he abandons the ordeal to rescue esmenet and kelmomas from mommen

[EDIT Madness: Title.]
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 03:07:55 pm by Madness »

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 06:32:10 pm »
1. No, i dont think he did, but i dont believe, after rereading, that Ajokli is the only one talking in those scenes. I agre with Walter, the bolded is Ajokli.

2. Yes, without a doubt. I surmise that he tricked Ajokli and the only way to do that was through death and "hiding" from him. Also, as Merch pointed out he had Akka come to the Ordeal to rescue Esme and there are other clues he knew he was going to die.

3. I think so, yes. Its all part of tricking Ajokli. He was never going to let Ajokli rule over a hell on Earth. He has come to believe in humanity. The clues in the text also confirm this. Calling him an abomination,  goading Esme into releasing him. He knew.

4. Yes, as i said, i think Merchant provided evidence that Akka's journey was to ensure the safety of Esme.

5. No, i dont. But, there is a case to be made that he did. That he knew the Nonmen would break him and he would turn to the People. But, that is tin foil really, because Moe Jr. joining the People seemed to be purely happenstance.

6. Maybe? He knew Ajoklinwpuld be pissed and go looking for him, thats for sure.

7. Good question. I think he always knew. Sorweel was an enemy, which is why he sent him to the Niom. You ask why? The seeing hearth and Sorweel's conversations with Zsoronga.

8. One he loves Esme and doeant want to see her die from his actions. Two, the whole Kel is the No-God and part of his plan to trick the Trickster.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Dunkelheit

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 06:35:48 pm »
I would go yes on the first question and no on the rest. There is only so much that you can predict no matter how smart you are. Butterfly effect and all that. I think what Moe sr. was able to predict about the Prince of Nothing plot line is a good measure of what a Dunyain is capable of predicting or not.

I think he mostly abandoned the Great Ordeal because they were becoming impossible to control even by him. If he had staid it would either expose the limits of his power or his immorality. It's better to just leave and let Proyas take the blame for what happens. As for why he spend his free time to rescue Esmenet, he seems to have feelings for her. As much as Dunyain is able to at least. That's both what he claims, and what Maithanet already suspected. Also, the fact that he strings up Proyas in a way that doesn't kill him is evidence that he doesn't just act purely according to what is most efficient at this point.

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
  • Exalt-Smiter of Theories
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 06:38:46 pm »
Yes
Probably not, but he might've prepared for the eventuality.
No.
Probably.
Did he anticipate moenghus reuniting with Cnaiur and assuming control of the horde?
Probably.
Probably not.
Is it possible he knew about Sorweal and wanted kelmonas to interrupt that assasination to set other events in motion?
No, unless you believe that Bakker is intentionally trying to mislead the reader.
without some of these moments set up by Kellhus im not sure why he abandons the ordeal to rescue esmenet and kelmomas from mommen
I don't know. He says something about Esmenet being his only darkness, only place he can hide etc.

Stip

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 06:43:41 pm »
i want that to be true, re: Esmet, but it is nearly impossible to trust anything he says - we can only infer from the consequences of actions.  its part of what makes this story and that character so intriguing. 

obstinate

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 06:57:00 pm »
Right. This is the real challenge. Dunyain do not speak to communicate. Instead, their words only steer. So we cannot take anything he says for true, unless it is known by some other witness.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 01:05:17 pm »
I think he mostly abandoned the Great Ordeal because they were becoming impossible to control even by him. If he had staid it would either expose the limits of his power or his immorality. It's better to just leave and let Proyas take the blame for what happens. As for why he spend his free time to rescue Esmenet, he seems to have feelings for her. As much as Dunyain is able to at least. That's both what he claims, and what Maithanet already suspected. Also, the fact that he strings up Proyas in a way that doesn't kill him is evidence that he doesn't just act purely according to what is most efficient at this point.

Yup. I like this.

Basically the same reason he abandons the Empire to Esmenet. Essentially, he tyrant-ed for a decade after a decade of war then left the fall of the Empire in her most capable hands. Kellhus tells Esmenet that the Empire fell in every iteration of the Thousandfold Thought. The river Sursa catching the Horde and grappling it whole were always axiomatic as was the exhaustion of supplies and eating Sranc en masse. The Ordeal probably succumbed to the consequences of Sranc consumption in every version of the Thousandfold Thought as well.

Aside, Sorweel suggests that every winter some idiot eats Sranc when stuck beyond the Pale and does Earwa's version of "The Shining." Classic Bakker, Sorweel also references a simple cure in a one-liner.

Saubon called it in TGO. You don't know what role you are to play when Kellhus leaves you to your own devices. Only that you've been conditioned to act or to break as per His nefarious design. The Ordeal was going to consume itself, no matter who was at the helm.

Random aside, Kellhus leaves Kelmomas and Esmenet part-way through Chapter One when they are nearish (by Esmenet's reckoning) to Sumna to get clothes and supplies... where and what did he stash?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 01:06:50 pm by Madness »
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
  • Approximation of a Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 06:12:13 pm »
My thoughts on these:

It seems like the possession was an important part of Kellhus' plan as implied by the "struck treaties with the Pit" line. As others have said, he needed Ajokli to be able to take on the Consult and have a higher chance of success.

It's very likely that he did, couldn't really discount that as a possibility when going against the Consult (especially after he realized the Dûnyain had taken over).

Still unsure about this one, he definitely seemed to intend to have Esmenet release Kelmomas, but after that... Could he anticipate that Kelmomas would be able to reach the Golden Room? I suppose so, it just doesn't seem as certain to me as the previous ones.

Almost certainly, it's implied that he knew exactly what Achamian had been up and planned on doing (travelling with the Skin Eaters, Ishuäl, etc.). And similarly, after Mimara fled Momemn, it would make sense he'd expect the two of them to eventually end up at Golgotterath.

I might be mistaken, but I don't believe Moënghus the Younger was that important to Kellhus' plans (he was just used by Serwa to manipulate Sorweel, then left behind as he had been too traumatized by Ishterebinth/was no longer needed).

I don't think he did, as Ajokli only seems to have possessed Cnaiür after being unable to find Kellhus' soul.

I don't think he was ever able to realize Sorweel was an agent of Yatwer. He was lucky that Kelmomas was able to see through him.
"But you’ve simply made the discovery that Thelli made—only without the benefit of her unerring sense of fashion."
-Anasûrimbor Kayûtas (The Great Ordeal, chapter 13)

"You prefer to believe women victims to their passions, but we can be at least as calculating as you. Love does not make us weak, but strong."
-Ykoriana of the Masks (The Third God, chapter 27)

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 08:07:26 pm »
My tally?

Did he anticipate his possession?
Yes. Part of the plan. His way of circumventing damnation and attaining the absolute. I'm still a bit confused and my thoughts haven't settled, but I am almost inclined to think that he is, and always was, Ajokli, since the Outside is timeless. So whenever someone called him a malefic deceiver demon they were actually right, to an extent.

Nope. Should have learned from his father. Even one such as him is blind to his blindness. Just like Moënghus the elder, he died at the hands of a mad son to no point. But it's ok, he's already secured his afterlife so it's just everyone else that's screwed.

Not even remotely.

No idea. It's possible but I doubt he much cared. They make little difference to his plans.

I doubt it. Too far removed in time and space, and well into where the Darkness was building.

Mortal Kellhus? No. But if Kellhus truly is Ajokli than I guess that form of him did.

Anything is possible but I find that highly improbable.

He's a mad and broken Dunyain.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2017, 05:40:19 pm »
Classic Bakker, Sorweel also references a simple cure in a one-liner.
"there is a cure" is all we get, lol.

The Ordeal was going to consume itself, no matter who was at the helm.
Thus Proyas' role to be the scapegoat. Proyas himself tells us this once Kellhus returns

Random aside, Kellhus leaves Kelmomas and Esmenet part-way through Chapter One when they are nearish (by Esmenet's reckoning) to Sumna to get clothes and supplies... where and what did he stash?
Proyas, same scene as above, mentions that Kellhus was wearing a robe he had seen in his baggage a few weeks prior. This seems to imply that, wherever the Ordeal was 'several weeks' ago, Kellhus has decided he was going to be returning to save Esmi, or at least have the foresight to pack a to-go bag and store it somewhere accessible.

Maybe he was doing this throughout - blinking off for a few minutes to store things in safehouses along the way for his inevitable journy back and there again.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2017, 03:40:37 am »
Classic Bakker, Sorweel also references a simple cure in a one-liner.
"there is a cure" is all we get, lol.

Classic ;).

Proyas, same scene as above, mentions that Kellhus was wearing a robe he had seen in his baggage a few weeks prior. This seems to imply that, wherever the Ordeal was 'several weeks' ago, Kellhus has decided he was going to be returning to save Esmi, or at least have the foresight to pack a to-go bag and store it somewhere accessible.

Maybe he was doing this throughout - blinking off for a few minutes to store things in safehouses along the way for his inevitable journy back and there again.

I can get behind that thought.

Also, holy shit, when was the last time we interacted with each other directly on the forum? Madshire 8).
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

OntaSensitiveCone

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2017, 01:29:04 pm »
A thought regarding why Kellhus went back for Esmi:

He says a couple things to her about why he went back; one is that she is his only darkness, which seems straightforward enough. But there may be more significance to his other claim: "[you are] the only place I can hide."

We know Kellhus has to find a way to hide his soul from Ajokli. My take was that somehow, something about the metaphysics of Earwa allows one to hide one's soul in darkness/oblivion. How those two concepts are related, I'm not completely sure, but I assumed that Kellhus brought Esmenet back to the Great Ordeal because he needed to hide his soul in her shadow.

SuJuroit

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2017, 02:34:41 pm »
Wow, I like that one a lot.  I'd be really surprised if that's something RSB intended, and I'm not sure how it would work within the metaphysics of the books, but I LIKE it.

OntaSensitiveCone

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2017, 08:11:09 pm »
@SuJuroit, okay, let's run with it:

• The Judging Eye (in communicating with Koringhus) seems to tell us that the Dûnyain and their mission is evil because they seek to control the world; this seems an indication that, to the God of Gods at least, the Darkness is Holy and warring against it is Unholy
  • The Psûkhe is non-cognitive, born of feeling/intuition rather than intellect, and thus feels like the purview of the Darkness; of course, it does not damn its users
  • The Nonmen worship the space between the Gods; according to Cleric they worship what they do not know, presumably as a means of finding Oblivion. This feels like they see the Darkness as that means. (See also the "The space between the gods" thread on the WLW section of this forum.)
  • Creatures such as Sranc, which are naught but the Darkness, are neither damned nor holy (almost like they find oblivion by default).
  • The erratic who finds oblivion was an erratic. But to be an erratic is to be entirely surrounded by the Darkness, no?
  • When Sorweel descends to the depths in TGO, where the Nonmen go to seek Oblivion, the entire venture is filled with literal darkness and silence that seem more than casually related to the search for Oblivion

I would propose that it works something like this: an easy interpretation of the Darkness is that it represents the intent of the God; that when the world began it was naught but the Darkness that the God set in motion. As Nonmen then later Men warred against the Darkness and attempted to impose their own meaning on the world, they shattered the Darkness and made space for the Gods and Damnation. To bargain with the Gods is to seek redemption in mankind's interpretation of reality; to seek redemption in the Darkness is to seek it from/with the God of Gods. To seek Oblivion is to seek to reunite your soul with the Darkness from whence it came---to release the impositions of meaning and control and to embrace the Holiness of ignorance. I don't know how the specifics of that work in Kellhus's case, but we do know that the only Darkness he has consistently known is his love for Esmenet.

Essentially, ignorance and doubt, above all else, are Holy.

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2017, 08:16:49 pm »
Excellent hints.
Know what your slaves believe, and you will always be their master.