Yearly Targets (2016) - Totals and Specifics

• 155 Replies

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2016, 11:55:20 am »
Reviewing it, SR?

Yes definitely giving this one a review. Been working on a lot of site redesign stuff but starting to get the reviews back up to date soon.

Hey SR/anyone, did you read Night's Dawn by Peter F Hamilton? I think it starts with The Reality Dysfunction.
I read Nights Dawn a while back. I really enjoyed it when I first read it as it was the First Hamilton I read. I think its the weakest of the larger series though (although the Void series lost its way in the second trilogy).

I wouldn't say it's essential reading but as with most Hamilton it does really well with big ideas.

Ok so I have been and updated my own reads. 11/20 so far so looks like I *might* make my target. I'll try and update everyone else's totals when I get home this evening.

Great participation from everyone :)

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2016, 12:54:04 pm »
I should be at 5. TWP, TTT, TGO, Dust of Dreams, and The Wise Man's Fear. Closer to my target 10 than I expected.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2016, 03:02:47 pm »
Reviewing it, SR?

EDIT: I'll have to update later but I finished The King's Blood in the second of five in The Dagger and the Coin series by Daniel Abraham.

Burned through, actually.

I've got Dagger and Coin, and something always comes up and I never get to them. Should I quit putting them off?

They're supposed to be Abraham's attempt at full-on generic fantasy; not tweaking the tropes but embracing them. I like them, they're easy reads. A little episodic but I'm excited for the third volume.

Reviewing it, SR?

Yes definitely giving this one a review. Been working on a lot of site redesign stuff but starting to get the reviews back up to date soon.

Sweet. Heinlein is perfect fit for that classics theme you've had going.

Oh, SR don't forget I was part of the slog and The Afflicted Few. So add 6 on to my count. :)

Ok so I have been and updated my own reads. 11/20 so far so looks like I *might* make my target. I'll try and update everyone else's totals when I get home this evening.

Great participation from everyone :)

Yeah, sorry, MSJ. Hopefully, SR and I get it together ;).
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Onrack

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 17, 2016, 04:31:35 pm »
For my money, the Dagger and Coin gets better with each successive volume. The setting is underdeveloped at times, but my god does he know how to write a character arc. Have yet to read the final book, though I can't imagine it all crashing down. Particularly since he nailed the ending of The Long Price.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 17, 2016, 04:40:25 pm »
Finished Dancer's Lament, and it is all that I thought it would be. There wasn't any grand ending to this book, but I expected that. Its the first leg of a trilogy, and I don't see how this story fleshes out in just 3 books. I won't spoil, but the story is set in Li Heng and follows Dorin (Dancer) and Wu (Kellanved). The way they meet is really neat and shows their immaturity at their ages. Also, we get POV's from Iko, a Itko Kan Sword Dancer and Silk a city Mage of Li Heng. A couple others thrown in there too. Classic Malazan.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 04:46:08 pm by MSJ »
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 17, 2016, 04:45:27 pm »
For my money, the Dagger and Coin gets better with each successive volume. The setting is underdeveloped at times, but my god does he know how to write a character arc. Have yet to read the final book, though I can't imagine it all crashing down. Particularly since he nailed the ending of The Long Price.

I've read TLPQ and really enjoyed it. Getting ready to start The Wheel of Osheim, and hopefully TGO will be out and I can take my time with it on a re-read. When I'm done with those, I'm gonna give Dagger&Coin a go.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Onrack

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2016, 08:44:02 pm »

I've read TLPQ and really enjoyed it. Getting ready to start The Wheel of Osheim, and hopefully TGO will be out and I can take my time with it on a re-read. When I'm done with those, I'm gonna give Dagger&Coin a go.
How is that new Lawrence series so far? I quite liked the Broken Empire, even if I found ending disappointing and rushed.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2016, 09:01:48 pm »
The first two were good, not groundbreaking or anything. Don't get me wrong, I liked them a lot. But, is it anything compared to TSA? No, no it isn't. Quick, fun reads.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #68 on: June 18, 2016, 02:19:20 am »
Yeah, I just started and might get half-way through The Liar's Key tonight.

Lol - I just read an interview with Lawrence. Hilarious. Blessed with skills - and a lifetime of narrative practice.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 02:20:53 am by Madness »
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Alia

• Kijneta
  • Of The Knife
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 18, 2016, 06:18:54 pm »
I'm at 4 completed books now, as in addition to Harari and Brunner I've read two Polish novels (among them one by my high-school friend).
At the moment I am reading Polish military s-f written by an army doctor who spent some time in Afghanistan (and it shows). The book is very entertaining, has several likeable characters (bonus points for the fact that they are on different sides) but it's quite long and I'm halfway through.
The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom - William Blake

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 28, 2016, 02:10:22 am »
Finished The Wheel of Osheim last night. Great book. Really enjoyed this the whole way through. The pacing was great and I was glued the entire time. Good ending, and still leaves the possibility for further storylines.

Just starting The Grim Company. 3 or 4 chapters in and I'm liking it. Has a lot of potential, but you can tell this is his first book. Prose isn't too great, isn't bad enough to kill my interest though.

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 05, 2016, 11:48:18 pm »
So I finished The Great Ordeal ARC last week. I really liked this book, this may even be topping my favourite of the series (previously TWP). I can't really go into details here but this was a great book.

Currently rattling through Brian Aldiss Hothouse which is proving very weird, I know some of the science is off but it's all based on realistic principles. I'm quite enjoying this and I haven't read Aldiss before. He has a style of putting you in a definite god position, to paraphrase; "the plants are so large now because of x but of course character y does not know this as she walks along..." that sort of odd style.

Alia

• Kijneta
  • Of The Knife
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 09, 2016, 04:34:54 pm »
While on holiday, I finished the military s-f novel I was reading (the "Afghanistan in space" one). I really enjoyed it, it was fast-paced, with likeable characters and some nice twists in the plot - and the fact that I know the author and heard some of her stories from her stay in Afghanistan only added to the fun factor.

Now I'm reading an urban fantasy by another friend of mine, so far I'm enjoying it.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 10, 2016, 12:07:54 pm »
Finished Grim Company. Started The Sword of the North, the sequel by Luke Scull.

Alia

• Kijneta
  • Of The Knife
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 13, 2016, 07:03:08 pm »
Now that was fast. I finished the urban fantasy novel over the weekend. It was definitely helped by the fact that, firstly, the book is rather short, and secondly, I had a bit of a hangover on Sunday and I didn't feel like doing much apart from lying on the sofa with my kindle and reading. Which makes it 6 books so far this year.