Merchandising the Second Apocalypse

• 57 Replies

Ciogli

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« on: August 07, 2017, 02:03:39 pm »
In the author threads someone suggested Bakker selling Earwa and I think that would be a good idea.  I would love to have some figurines,  Golgotterath with the Golden horns reaching high. The extrinsic gate compare with gweriguh bookended by mighty Corrunc and the other tower, the oblitus. Or the weeping mountain,  Oirunas with his chorae studded armor, Nil giccas, the red ghoul, Cujara cinmoi.  Todd McFarlane does high quality figures,  get someone like somnabulist to design them even people who are not nescesasarily fans of the series would still buy them. Merchandising would probably bring in more money than straight book sales anyway. I'm sure there is some company that would be interested in the rights.
The world holds no terrors for me, I stand naked as the falling sword, I am the Terror.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 03:03:40 pm »
The only issue I see is the impossibility of having Bakker involved. It might be able to set up basic stuff without garnering too much attention from lawyers - t-shirts, bumper stickers, posters, etc. We could probably host it on our server and link it through this site.

Something more complex, like the physical constructs you are suggesting (which sound awesome!) almost necessarily would need to involve laywers, rights purchasing, etc. More money up front plus soon as Overlook and Bakker get involved, I'd guess things would grind to a screeching halt.

But that won't stop the dream! I'm not a big figurine guy, or nicknaks of any kind, but I'd venture to say that you are right - there's great imagery in the books, we just need to find the creative types to turn it into reality.
Warhammer 40k: Earwa Edition ;) .
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 03:24:21 pm »
I never bought a figurine but I swear by the Hundred that I would buy a fucking whole horde of sranc if available.
Know what your slaves believe, and you will always be their master.

Walter

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 03:32:48 pm »
Tee-shirt:

"I crossed the Field Appalling to fight for the Aspect-Emperor and all I got was damnation after all."

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 03:34:41 pm »
Tee-shirt:

"I crossed the Field Appalling to fight for the Aspect-Emperor and all I got was damnation after all."

Damnation and a sranc in the ass.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
    • The Original No-God Apologist
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 03:39:43 pm »
Tee-shirt:

"I survived The Great Ordeal and all I got was damnation (and this lousy t-shirt)."

Agonic Collar - stylish chokers, for your "alternative needs."

We had a thread kind of like this in the old days, when someone made a Wutteät shirt...
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Duskweaver

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 03:58:35 pm »
On a red baseball cap: "Make The World End Again"

On a T-shirt: "Kelmomas/Samarmas 2020 - A Better Deal (Than Damnation)"
"Then I looked, and behold, a Whirlwind came out of the North..." - Ezekiel 1:4

"Two things that brand one a coward: using violence when it is not necessary; and shrinking from it when it is."

Likaro

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 04:58:12 pm »
Bakker doesn't even promote his books online in any fashion, and seems to loathe promotion so the odds of him going for this are zero. Bakker would jump out of a window if Hot Topic was selling little metal Chorae necklaces.

I'm also just picturing some little kid getting a realistic Inchoroi toy under the Christmas tree. *Enter Lawsuit*.

I would however, be down with the following bumper stickers to mystify other drivers:

"The Logos is without beginning or end"

"No sobbers on the slog !"

"144,000"

"Curse Likaro!"

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 05:12:49 pm »
Lol Likaro, we've gone this far without consent from Bakker, I assume we'll be fine moving forward ;) . Granted, once money starts getting involved, everyone suddenly wants to participate.

a realistic Inchoroi toy under the Christmas tree

Nothing wrong with a 3 legged alien.

Duskweaver

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 05:18:35 pm »
I assumed this thread was intended to be tongue-in-cheek. For the record, I am strongly against anybody selling Second Apocalypse merchandise against the express wishes of Bakker himself. Just printing some T-shirts for personal use would be OK, I think. But the moment actual money is involved, I think that crosses a line.

"Two things that brand one a coward: using violence when it is not necessary; and shrinking from it when it is."

SuJuroit

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2017, 05:20:35 pm »
I never bought a figurine but I swear by the Hundred that I would buy a fucking whole horde of sranc if available.

I'd totally buy a sranc figurine, but between RSB being RSB and the fact that sranc are typically depicted as naked and with raging erections, I'm not super optimistic.

How about a Circumfix T-shirt?

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2017, 05:27:15 pm »
I assumed this thread was intended to be tongue-in-cheek. For the record, I am strongly against anybody selling Second Apocalypse merchandise against the express wishes of Bakker himself. Just printing some T-shirts for personal use would be OK, I think. But the moment actual money is involved, I think that crosses a line.
Plenty of tongue-in-cheekery around, but no, I assume this thread is 100% serious.

What line is crossed, and why? But what if it serves the greater good - couple of t-shirts and a sranc figurine funding all of Bakker's future writing?

[edit]
Follow up, actual money is always and already involved. Server space, domain names, hosting sites, it ain't free I'll tell you that. Mind you, I'm not disagreeing with you, just curious.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 05:31:12 pm by Wilshire »

Duskweaver

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2017, 05:41:41 pm »
What line is crossed, and why? But what if it serves the greater good - couple of t-shirts and a sranc figurine funding all of Bakker's future writing?
Making money out of somebody else's intellectual property in violation of their wishes is immoral. It is no different from theft as far as I'm concerned.

Obviously, if Bakker says it's OK to sell stuff in order to cover the costs of running this site, then that is a different matter. But unless he consents, his world is not yours to sell.

SuJuroit

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2017, 05:55:57 pm »
And yeah, I'd assumed it went without saying that any merchandizing of the Second Apocalypse would hinge on RSB's consent.

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2017, 06:10:35 pm »
Obviously. I hope he consent. And why not doing more promotion of his books or at least let others keep his page actualized?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 06:52:39 pm by Woden »