• 7 Replies

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« on: May 14, 2013, 09:29:51 pm »
Quote from: Dædalus
This will be awkward as a first post, but whatever I've never shied from potential social bombing.

So I really like the style of all of Bakker's books, I also like to expand and consider the settings of books I really enjoy, especially in a shared experience like roleplaying can and should be. This could be done entirely through writing, forums or an IM, or in a video game like any MMO or other game with multiplayer capability.

For video games I'd like to suggest this server: http://prologue-wow.com/

This video convinced me it leaves enough leeway with interaction for anyone to create some interesting scenarios: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pitaNJRLcU4

Using that server does mean it can't actually be the proper setting, though we could take some steps to try to get a very similar atmosphere. Any thoughts on this?

Hope I'm not only talking to myself here.  ;)

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 09:29:57 pm »
Quote from: Duskweaver
I keep feeling the urge to write a sort of conversion kit to RP in the Second Apocalypse setting using White Wolf's New World of Darkness rules. But (1) I don't actually have the time available right now, and (2) whenever I start thinking about it, I always reach the conclusion that there's just too much Bakker has not yet revealed to us about how his world really works.

I'm only really interested in face-to-face tabletop RPing, to be honest. MMORPGs just aren't my thing. I can't even get into virtual 'tabletop' RPing; it seems like I need the other players to be physically in the room with me.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 09:30:03 pm »
Quote from: Madness
It's interesting, Daedalus... somewhere out there are members who signed up and have just never returned, likely awaiting the Holy Dispensation of The Unholy Consult. I'm sure there will be interested parties when they find voice.

I created the Viramsata: Battle of the Authors thread in Writing as I'm distinctly not into RPing but was always attracted by its exercise in writing - I just never made the time to sit down and play with my friends who did - If it happened, I might play a couple here though.

Welcome to the Second Apocalypse, Daedalus.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 09:30:07 pm »
somewhere out there are members who signed up and have just never returned, likely awaiting the Holy Dispensation of The Unholy Consult. I'm sure there will be interested parties when they find voice.
Perhaps they hide their Voices through fear of Damnation?

I propose we refer to lurkers as Nonmen from now on. :D

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 09:30:12 pm »
Quote from: Meyna
somewhere out there are members who signed up and have just never returned, likely awaiting the Holy Dispensation of The Unholy Consult. I'm sure there will be interested parties when they find voice.
Perhaps they hide their Voices through fear of Damnation?

I propose we refer to lurkers as Nonmen from now on. :D

I dreamed of this holy war, and so I have returned (but I never really left!).

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 09:30:19 pm »
Well, Meyna, the Nonmen do exist and you are not one of them ;).

Maybe those lost Ishroi and Quya will lend Sword and Voice to the Ordeal...

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 09:30:27 pm »
Quote from: Sideris
It's interesting, Daedalus... somewhere out there are members who signed up and have just never returned, likely awaiting the Holy Dispensation of The Unholy Consult. I'm sure there will be interested parties when they find voice.

I created the Viramsata: Battle of the Authors thread in Writing as I'm distinctly not into RPing but was always attracted by its exercise in writing - I just never made the time to sit down and play with my friends who did - If it happened, I might play a couple here though.

Welcome to the Second Apocalypse, Daedalus.

You rang?

And Daedulus, I understand what you mean. I've been wanting to write a conversion module for WoD concerning the Three Seas for some time. But school, an occasional lack of will, and trying to pierce the Sorcery question has been the biggest hurdles for me. I intend to someday run a nice little PBP game in Bakkerverse someday.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 09:30:45 pm »
Quote from: Davias
I have to join Duskweaver' opinion. I'm a defender of the old school Pen-And-Paper RPGs ( although it was a decade ago, when I was actually playing one with a group of people ) I have never grasped the fascination about those MMORPGs, despite being interested in PC games and RPGs for a long time.
Bakker's world and his books in general are in fact a thing, which put me off a lot of newer RPGs, because the concepts seems too be boring compared to the few fantasy books I've reading these days ( like Bakker and some other authors). I've struggling with writing my own stories for a few years now, because I have new, higher expectations than ten years ago.
Maybe I'm just getting old... :D