Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« on: March 03, 2017, 01:42:53 pm »
Anyone of you play Starcraft?

Madness and I play a few rounds from time to time (most recently the games were 1+ year apart...), and we aren't any good, but its still fun.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Francis Buck

• Kcub Sicnarf
  • Kijneta
  • The Lordlady
  • Philosoraptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 02:07:22 am »
I'm actually trying to expand my horizons a bit gaming-wise, as I'm typically more of an "action-oriented" gamer (not so much literal action scenes with fighting and stuff -- even though that tends to be the case given the market) but for some reason I am inclined toward games where I have a very direct control over an "avatar" of sorts. Things like Dark Souls, MGSV, etc., appeal to me greatly, and for the same reasons that say, a Metroid or even Mario game would. Still, I've been trying to get more into strategy games as of late. The indie game Kingdom, which is basically a real-time tower defense, is a weird half-way point for me in that in combines the strategic elements with the feel of being tethered to an in-game avatar (also it has the best pixel art water FX I've ever fucking seen).

The only RTS I was ever really into at all was WC3, and I could never even beat the first mission or two of the Undead campaign (it was a while ago that I last played TBF but I doubt I'd be much better).

Nonetheless, I did enjoy failing miserably time and again and just building stupidly large bases. My thing with Starcraft (I'm assuming we're talking Starcraft 2) is I don't know where to begin, exactly. Is each expansion its own thing, or is there a basic game package I need? Is one better than the other? I haven't followed this at all aside from watching Blizzard's kick-ass cinematic trailers, but I'd be down to pick it up and tool around anyway!

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 03:43:43 am »
Lol, FB. I think getting a combo pack with all three SC2 games would be the way to go. I'd assume you'd want to play through the campaigns... well that might run you $60. You could start with the first one, Wings of Liberty, try out the campaign, see if its fun. If you like it, the next expansion is Heart of the Swarm. The third and most recent is Legacy of the Void, that's what we play online.

I don't want you to run out and drop a bunch of money on games you don't like. You'll have a bad time trying to torrent them, blizzard had a lot of DRM on their games.

Btw have you played Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen? That's a first person action game in the same vein as Dark Souls. 

Hirtius/Pansa

• The Afflicted Few
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 09:01:59 pm »
What are ya'lls battle.net tags? I'm Mekeritrig#11454.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 02:25:35 pm »
Wilshire
not sure what the #is, I'll take a look.

I'm terrible, but if that doesn't bother you then we should try to get a game going.
I should also probably get Discord - conversing is superior to typing  ... Though in options I saw some kind of voice thing, does bnet/sc have an internal voice chat system?

I'm usually available in the evenings EST.