• 33 Replies

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« on: April 26, 2013, 04:43:20 pm »
Quote from: sologdin
so who the hell is the "traveler"?  consult, imperial, a hunter seeking a hare and finding a dragon and unable to run it down therefor?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 04:43:26 pm »
Quote from: Madness
My best personal guess at this point is the Ministrate, who I expect to play a big role in the Momemn arc of TUC.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 04:43:35 pm »
Quote from: Wilshire
Well cyber space was hungery, decided to take my post for a snack. Oh well, I guess basically im with Madness, someone who commands "Ironsouls" respect and had the ability to track down the scalpers must be powerful, or at least working for AK. Otherwise, the traveler would likely have been killed.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 04:43:43 pm »
Quote from: Tony P
Well cyber space was hungery, decided to take my post for a snack. Oh well, I guess basically im with Madness, someone who commands "Ironsouls" respect and had the ability to track down the scalpers must be powerful, or at least working for AK. Otherwise, the traveler would likely have been killed.

Could you expand a bit? I thought it was revealed in TWLW, but I can't find it and I still have no idea who the traveller's supposed to be.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 04:43:49 pm »

Could you expand a bit? I thought it was revealed in TWLW, but I can't find it and I still have no idea who the traveller's supposed to be.

The 'traveler' that is being refered to here is the man who shows up in the prologue of The Judging Eye. He is only called "traveler" and it is in the pov of said character. He finds the scalpers in the wilderness and there is a quick exchange with "IronSoul".

Thats it. Its maybe 2 or 3 pages and nothing is ever mentioned of this "traveler" again. He walks off into the wilderness unmolested. I figure, based on what we know of lord kosotor that he must be working for Kellhus in some way, because nothing but his deep respect for Kell would stay his trigger happy personality.

It could be a magi or a skinspy posing as a minister for Kell, but I dunno what the point of the whole thing would be for the Consult, and magi or not the only person or group who (at least to my knowledge) would have a message to deliver to the Skin Eaters would be Kell (based on the conclusion of this particular story).

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 04:43:55 pm »
The 'traveler' that is being refered to here is the man who shows up in the prologue of The Judging Eye. He is only called "traveler" and it is in the pov of said character. He finds the scalpers in the wilderness and there is a quick exchange with "IronSoul".

Thats it. Its maybe 2 or 3 pages and nothing is ever mentioned of this "traveler" again. He walks off into the wilderness unmolested. I figure, based on what we know of lord kosotor that he must be working for Kellhus in some way, because nothing but his deep respect for Kell would stay his trigger happy personality.

It could be a magi or a skinspy posing as a minister for Kell, but I dunno what the point of the whole thing would be for the Consult, and magi or not the only person or group who (at least to my knowledge) would have a message to deliver to the Skin Eaters would be Kell (based on the conclusion of this particular story).

Thanks. I knew the character, but I thought there was a certain theory about who he could be (as in, a specific identity). I think it's fair to assume that he's Kellhus' agent, since Kosoter is an extreme Kellhus-fanboi, and apparently working under his instruction. IIRC, the Skin Eaters went back to Marrow to await their new orders (taking on Akka's mission), and the Consult were clearly surprised that Akka was back in the game, so it's definitely not them.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 04:44:02 pm »
Yeah that seems to be the most general opinion, but there isn't a ton of hard evidence.

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Incontinent Water-bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 05:02:15 am »
My guess is that it's Kayutas.  He would be able to fulfill all the roles necessary for the encounter.  His voice "possessed the gravel of an old officer's bawl" and "boomed through the gorge easily audible over the white roar of water."  A dunyain (or half-dunyain, in this instance) would have complete control over the pitch of his own voice, and Kayutas is the general of the Kidruhil, used to barking orders.  And he thinks "Just like animals" when all the scalpers turn to look at him.  A typically arrogant point of view for the eldest son of Kellhus, imho.  When addressing Kosoter, he knows the proper etiquette in addressing him as a Veteran.  He understood Ainoni, and I believe Kayutas has a particular facility with languages.  And who else would Kosoter deign to listen to unless it was the very son of Kellhus, his Holy Aspect Emperor who gave him the title Ironsoul personally?
No whistling on the slog!

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 12:18:42 pm »
That is a nice theory, I like it.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 03:29:31 pm »
Hmm... I still wonder how much a part the Ministrate, which almost certainly still be operating throughout the empire, is going to play in the Siege of Momemn and figure Kosoter might have obeyed them as easily; I think the "we find everyone" commentary lends towards an organizational perspective in the prologue.

Those it is concise, Somnambulist, and I appreciate simplicity.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

sologdin

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2013, 04:12:21 am »
ok, y'all convinced me that traveler is cnaiur.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2013, 02:52:30 pm »
Hugh Huge, solo.

What a twest.

EDIT: I'm dysfunctional sometimes.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 03:50:54 pm by Madness »
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Quinthane

• Old Name
  • WATD
    • View Profile
    • MyDeviantArt
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2013, 03:49:45 pm »
the Traveler is Akka's Wathi doll.
WATD --"the Logos is without beginning or end...and then it stops ."

Alia

• Kijneta
  • Of The Knife
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2014, 07:52:32 pm »
So. I had this crazy idea, when I was reading the book - what if the traveller is Sarl? We don't really know that the traveller left the company, because the scene ends with "We want you". Sarl talks instead of the captain, so he could be making decisions in his place. And he is almost always with the Captain, yet when the traveller first meets Lord Kosoter, he is accompanied only by Cleric sitting behind him. And then there's this scene in Marrow, where Achamian observes Sarl "pretending that he is one of them [Skin Eaters]".
Although now, having read all your posts, I don't think it's the best idea.
The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom - William Blake

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2014, 08:09:34 pm »
Hmmm interesting idea. I'm not certain how many scenes Sarl and Kosoter are together/apart, but if they are nearly always together than you could be right. Is there a decent description of the Traveler that can be compared to Sarl?

That quote with Akka is somewhere in the begging/first half of  TJE when he first sees the Skin Eaters right? I don't remember what made him think that. No one really seemed to like Sarl anyway, though I can't remember why.

So given all the I've forgotten or don't know, I'd at least say its possible  :)
One of the other conditions of possibility.