The Slog TDTCB - Part One: Prologue & The Sorcerer [Spoilers]

• 135 Replies

morkypep

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 16, 2015, 03:38:22 am »
These are the types of questions that I drive myself further insane by debating an answer, given the way my answers collapse ambiguity and mystery by giving indication of what comes after (or that lack).

However, my guess has always been that Inrau found proof of Maithanet's correspondence with his father, Moenghus - more horrifyingly known to Inrau and the Inrithi as Mallahet, especially as Aurang doesn't seem to know what Inrau found either. After all, Inrau already had his evidence that Maithanet did sincerely treat with the Scarlet Spires.

This makes the most sense. The perfect explanation to what Inrau could have found that would explain his reaction. I will from here on out consider it canon.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #91 on: December 16, 2015, 03:59:13 am »
I've always suspected it was something along those lines, but why would moenghus commit anything to writing?

He probably wouldn't. I can't imagine what Inrau could've found as proof but it seems the MacGuffin - that Maithanet treats with the Cishaurim - that would be too great a revelation for Inrau's character.

This makes the most sense. The perfect explanation to what Inrau could have found that would explain his reaction. I will from here on out consider it canon.

Lol - as you said, morkypep. It just seems to make sense.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 16, 2015, 07:36:30 am »
Why doesn't proyas recognize kellhus as looking like maithanet?

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 16, 2015, 11:05:35 am »
Why doesn't proyas recognize kellhus as looking like maithanet?

Do they really look alike?  I thought Maithanet had darker skin and a black beard, Kellhus is fair skinned and blonde though, right?

My mental image of what everyone looks like is completely wrong, so I constantly have to go back to the books to remind myself what it's said they look like.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 16, 2015, 12:51:45 pm »
Morkypep, I wouldn't go so far as considering anything we discuss as canon. I mean, that's usually a authorial decision.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 12:53:50 pm by MSJ »
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 16, 2015, 12:59:20 pm »
The pollution of non dunyain mothers. Is it at some point mentioned they look alike?
One of the other conditions of possibility.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 16, 2015, 01:14:01 pm »
The pollution of non dunyain mothers. Is it at some point mentioned they look alike?

I think they would if it wasn't for Maithenet dying his hair and beard and his tan.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 16, 2015, 01:15:04 pm »
I've always suspected it was something along those lines, but why would moenghus commit anything to writing?

He probably wouldn't. I can't imagine what Inrau could've found as proof but it seems the MacGuffin - that Maithanet treats with the Cishaurim - that would be too great a revelation for Inrau's character.

Lol - as you said, morkypep. It just seems to make sense.

Well, the issue I have with that explaination is it doesn't really square with that Inrau says about the revelation (my underline):

If only he could have forgotten . . . forgotten what the Mandate had taught him. If he could’ve done that, then this last heartbreaking revelation would have been meaningless to him. If only Achamian had not come. The price was too high.

So, why would him treating with the Cishaurim cause him to wish he forgot what the Mandate had thought him.

Invoking the Mandate would seem to implicate the Consult, but I'm still confused on what he could have seen that would have drawn a connection between the two.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 16, 2015, 03:25:55 pm »
Mandate also teaches dead languages, not just consult knowledge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 16, 2015, 03:29:58 pm »
I still don't see a connection at all. His timeline starts with him entering a building. He hasn't found anything yet, and he is yearning to forget his allegiance and debt to his old teacher. He says as much.

At what point do you guys think he found something?

Edit
Sure the bird says he was in the shriah's apartment, but that hardly implies he found anything.

Inrau is a boy torn between loves. Between a man that saved his life, and a man he gave his life too. There are whole paragraphs of him mulling over this dilemma and then specifically crying to himself to forget
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 03:35:01 pm by Wilshire »

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 16, 2015, 04:28:11 pm »
I still don't see a connection at all. His timeline starts with him entering a building. He hasn't found anything yet, and he is yearning to forget his allegiance and debt to his old teacher. He says as much.

At what point do you guys think he found something?

Edit
Sure the bird says he was in the shriah's apartment, but that hardly implies he found anything.

Inrau is a boy torn between loves. Between a man that saved his life, and a man he gave his life too. There are whole paragraphs of him mulling over this dilemma and then specifically crying to himself to forget

Well, his quote implies he found something, "then this last heartbreaking revelation" seems to imply a revelation after the Scarlet Spires information.

Mandate also teaches dead languages, not just consult knowledge.

So, perhaps correspondance with Moe(?) in Dûnyanic, which he would then be able to read, since he knows Kûniüri?

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 16, 2015, 05:11:55 pm »
If you say so... but to me, the last revelation is simply the last revelation form the previous page. Inrau realizes that he would give anything, everything, pay any price, to repay his teacher. Also, he realized he believed I  the consult still, and that no price was to high to stop the second apocalypse.
It's all right there in the pages. His entire thought pattern is fragmented, spirals in on itself, and continously repeats. This is shown with the initial thought he gives us "my life". We start in the middle, but hes just repeating the same arguments and thoughts so it's fine.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 16, 2015, 06:10:30 pm »
If you say so... but to me, the last revelation is simply the last revelation form the previous page. Inrau realizes that he would give anything, everything, pay any price, to repay his teacher. Also, he realized he believed I  the consult still, and that no price was to high to stop the second apocalypse.
It's all right there in the pages. His entire thought pattern is fragmented, spirals in on itself, and continously repeats. This is shown with the initial thought he gives us "my life". We start in the middle, but hes just repeating the same arguments and thoughts so it's fine.

Every time I reread that part, I get more confused than I was before.  I'll have to get to do a re-re-re-read again at some point.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 16, 2015, 06:17:45 pm »
Trackless steppe

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 16, 2015, 06:39:27 pm »
The text is pretty clear he's just exited maithanets apartments and therin discovered an upsetting revelation.

Ignoring that just seems like wishful thinking.