Miscellaneous Chatter > General Misc.

Text based browser game musings

(1/4) > >>

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Callan S. ---Yes, musings!

Anyway, I was thinking in terms of a browser game, have it set around the scalpoi era/area, but not just instantly bashing monsters/Sranc, but trying to track down a small mob first, then building a pit trap and finally baiting them (then comes combat with whatever gets past the pit). Just there's alot of games where you just bash on a monster instantly and...kinda jaded on that idea. If anyone is familiar with text based browser games and has some method for the gameplay of tracking down appropriate mobs of Sranc, pitch it to me. I think at the start you deal with the 'scraps', ie, the weakling sranc who are far out from the main horde. The real nasty and strong Sranc are to be found latter.

Thinking of there being fighters and scouts (ranged). Schoolmen are just too rare to just choose - I'm thinking maybe if you level a regular class enough, it unlocks the ability to play a schoolman. But if the schoolman dies, he perma dies (so you have to play a regular class again to unlock another schoolman).

In terms of tracking, I'm thinking players develop 'patches' areas they are tracking down Sranc within. But other players can poach these areas. I want to have ways players can be petty to each other and thieve from each other (not that they have to, but after someones stolen your patch for the ninth time, your probably tempted to...). Bring it down to a grubbier level.
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: sciborg2 ---I'm assuming you'd allow movement along the 8 compass-rose directions? Would Sranc be moving as well?

So you step into a patch and the Sranc are there, what happens next? Turn based fighting ala Might and Magic I, II, III <- not talking Heroes but the actual RPGs.
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Callan S. ---Depends on whether you have a map. One method for text based is rather like urban dead, which is quite a popular browser game. However, even as it's popular, how does combat work? Press attack - it rolls percentile to hit or miss. Keep hitting attack (turn based). Though there's a certain elegance in that - why get more complicated (or more to the point, what goal is one heading toward in trying to get more complicated than that?)

So yeah, turn based. And Sranc could be made to be on the move, so last known scouting intel isn't necessarily up to date.

I suppose a question is what is the goal for the player? To become a mighty and bad ass scalpoi (and that being up for a lil subversion, of course...). Could even have 'scalping retirement' goals, like the character wants to gain enough to go back to civilisation to execute some plan or such.
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Curethan ---Depends how abstract you want it, I guess.
Rewards..

1)Get bounties.
Hire more scalpers. 
Get gear. 

2)reputation based on groupsize/gear/killcount
Better class of recruit to replace the death toll or sanity toll - 'weepers'
Have one quya and a couple hedge mages and wizards and rules for how they get passed about between parties.

You should probly decide if you want to use a map.
Assuming you want track/chase things down, sranc and other parties and thus have them leaves traces etc its kinda necasary.
Mebe randomly gen a new one every week, give it a different area name.

hard work is the behaviour algorithims i guess.
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: The Sharmat ---You can offer more gameplay choices by actually having players manage their outfitting for each expedition. Then it's some sort of horrible multiplayer version of Oregon Trail, only instead of trying to get to Oregon you're hunting rape monsters.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version