What are you watching?

• 357 Replies

Alia

• Kijneta
  • Of The Knife
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 08, 2017, 08:13:22 pm »
Watched Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency in one sitting. It's quite good, on the one hand absurd and funny, on the other very brutal and depressing. Quite like Douglas Adams (well, without the "brutal" part). And Elijah Wood is great as Todd.
The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom - William Blake

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 09, 2017, 01:22:09 pm »
I watched the first handful of episodes,  couldn't get into it :/
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Incontinent Water-bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 10, 2017, 11:06:23 pm »
Started The OA on Netflix... lost interest midway through episode 2.
Started The Magicians... lost interest midway through episode 3.
Persevered through Vikings... steadily grew less interested through the seasons.  Finished the most recent episodes. 'I must have Vengeance!' Meh.

I think something is wrong with me.
No whistling on the slog!

Alia

• Kijneta
  • Of The Knife
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 12, 2017, 11:42:09 am »
As for Vikings, the first season was OK, the second and third were really good and then the fourth was a real let-down. Sometimes I just had this feeling that the script-writers took the easy path, like "Ok, this character has outlived his/her usefulness, so what do we do? Let them die in some stupid way and get over it".
The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom - William Blake

Francis Buck

• Kcub Sicnarf
  • Kijneta
  • The Lordlady
  • Philosoraptor
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 13, 2017, 01:03:19 am »
Started The OA on Netflix... lost interest midway through episode 2.
Started The Magicians... lost interest midway through episode 3.
Persevered through Vikings... steadily grew less interested through the seasons.  Finished the most recent episodes. 'I must have Vengeance!' Meh.

I think something is wrong with me.

Nah, all of those shows have some considerable flaws (well I haven't seen The Magicians but if it turns into the next Sopranos I'll eat crow). The best fantasy I've seen on TV recently -- which basically makes it one of the best ever, given the competition -- is the BBC adaptation of Johnathan Strange & Mr. Norrel. Definitely worth checking out, especially if you haven't read the book.

I'm just twiddling my thumbs now waiting for Better Call Saul and Fargo...

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 13, 2017, 10:34:39 am »
Nah, all of those shows have some considerable flaws (well I haven't seen The Magicians but if it turns into the next Sopranos I'll eat crow). The best fantasy I've seen on TV recently -- which basically makes it one of the best ever, given the competition -- is the BBC adaptation of Johnathan Strange & Mr. Norrel. Definitely worth checking out, especially if you haven't read the book.

I'm just twiddling my thumbs now waiting for Better Call Saul and Fargo...

The OA is definitely flawed, but I like the idea of the show, "issues of perspective" are particularly interesting to me.

My wife and I are currently working our way through Vikings.  It's definitely not amazing, but mildly entertaining, as we are about halfway through season 3.

I read Johnathan Strange & Mr. Norrel years ago and found the book pretty insufferable.  The style was awesome, but the story itself was pretty lacking for me.  Maybe I'd like the show better.

Recently we watched The Young Pope and the Expanse, both which were good.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Incontinent Water-bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 13, 2017, 06:54:35 pm »
Alia: yes, Vikings season 4 seriously tanked my esteem of the show as a whole.

FB: Haven't seen Jonathan Strange, but you're the second person to recommend it, so might give it a go.  I, too, am waiting for Fargo.  Such a great show.

H: My wife loved The Young Pope, but I only ever saw snippets from a couple of episodes.  The Expanse keeps coming up, and I did begin watching it, but fell off for some reason.  I should go back and try again.

Sad that my favorite pirate show (Black Sails) is ending, but I've enjoyed it immensely over the last few years.  Billions is also a solid show with great characters.  The Walking Dead... my love/hate relationship with it continues.  I found I actually enjoyed Fear the Walking Dead much more the last couple of years, so looking forward to that coming back 'round again.  It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia continues to appall/delight me.  "Is that AIDS blood?! Goddamnit!"  If you need absolutely zero-PC behavior, that's the show.
No whistling on the slog!

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 13, 2017, 07:27:05 pm »
H: My wife loved The Young Pope, but I only ever saw snippets from a couple of episodes.  The Expanse keeps coming up, and I did begin watching it, but fell off for some reason.  I should go back and try again.

Well, if my wife wasn't particularly religious (i.e. Catholic) I doubt I would have really "gotten" the show.  I was raised Catholic, but I'm not really religious.  It's a good show and probably worth watching just for the visuals, but if you aren't Catholic, it might be hard to get into (maybe I'm wrong though).
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 19, 2017, 06:09:28 pm »
As for the Great Pyramid, the evidence that it was built as a tomb is pretty substantial, in my opinion.  Now, why Khufu would have thought that was needed is a whole different issue, but such seemingly unnecessary overdoing of such a thing is hardly unprecedented in human history.  Perhaps he was a "true-believer" or perhaps he wasn't, but just wanted to "be sure" to reach the afterlife.  Perhaps it was politically motivated, a way to demonstrate his power, something of a show of strength.  Consider even that it could simply have been a bad idea, an imperial whim, taken to it's most extreme.  I don't see any aspect of the Great Pyramid that speaks to anything that would seem out of the ordinary for any person, let alone an imperial ruler.

"You built it how high? 20,000 cubits? It was supposed to be 20 cubits high!! Did you stupid fucks even look at the fucking work order? Holy fucking Anubis, I leave for vacation with one simple task for you idiots, just a simple fucking tomb, and.....fuck me, would you look at that motherfucker? Hold on....I'll give you this, that's impressive work. No, no, don't fucking unbuild it, lemme think.....we may have something here. What, I have no fucking idea, but it's undoubtedly something...."
"The heart of any other, because it has a will, would remain forever mysterious."

-from "Snow Falling On Cedars", by David Guterson

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 19, 2017, 06:13:59 pm »
Arrival was a pretty interesting film!
Arrival was amazing! I didn't get the entire plot until the next day. Had to see it again. Excellent film.
"The heart of any other, because it has a will, would remain forever mysterious."

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 20, 2017, 04:30:04 am »
Just read this entire thread ... phew! No mention of True Detective? The first season was AMAZING. I liked the second season as well, but wasn't well received.

The Bridge was amazing, but ended the story after 2 seasons ( I want more! ). Boss was amazing, but Starz in their fuckheadedness cancelled it after 2 seasons ( Fuck you, Starz! You don't end a show that won emmy's, you hack piece of shit network! ). I didn't bother to watch Black Sails for fear they would cancel that too - but see some enthusiasm for the show in this thread, so maybe I'll check it out.

The known best shows of course ( Breaking Bad, GoT, Walking Dead ). Fargo awesome, Westworld awesome ( can you tell I watch a lot of tv? ), The Americans awesome, Homeland awesome, Luther awesome ( didn't know Idris was British, LOL ), Bosch awesome. Billions is awesome - nice touch in the first episode to first show you what you thought you were getting into ( more bullshit over the top trader behavior ) but then grows quick into something different/wild - Paul Giamatti's performance is one for the ages in this thing.

Loved all these ( got tired of typing awesome ): Dexter, The Shield, The Wire, The Fall, Goliath, Queer as Folk, Penny Dreadfull, Preacher, Mr. Robot, Taboo, Hand of God, The Leftovers, Sherlock, The Killing, Boardwalk Empire, Ripper Street, Lost.

American crime kicks you in the gut, so if you like that, watch it - good stuff, but very in your face intense social commentary.

Outcast is better than Stranger Things, by the way ( both very good, of course ). Been a long while since a show scared me ... I turned on all the lights in the house watching Outcast, like for real, LOL! Original\clever ending to the first season, nice to be surprised and still makes sense, making whole of some confusing parts along the way, nicely done.

Hannibal was more art than good story, but enjoyed it quite a bit all the same.

If you can accept B grade production, The Expanse is great ( very fun mystery ) and I even find it better than Battlestar Galactica. The Strain is fun. 12 Monkeys is descent, still watching it.

I didn't like Man in High Castle ( figured I would put at least 1 show I stopped watching, having embarrassed myself with my long list of tv watching ).

I did like Animal Kingdom and Mad Dogs, which was interesting since I expected to hate them. Mad Dogs has amazing ending, worth the effort.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 04:32:12 am by TaoHorror »
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 20, 2017, 03:35:49 pm »
TaoHorror, The Expanse is a fairly decent show, I think it's a worthy adaption from the books. I've never watched True Detective, but have heard a bunch of good things about it. I'm working my way through The Last Kingdom and getting caught up on Better Call Saul, on S3 E4 right now. I like BCS, but I hope they keep it original and don't lean to heavily on BB.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 20, 2017, 04:27:15 pm »
Yes, BCS is, like, wow! Everyone was kinda disappointed Vince wasn't doing something completely different, but man, it is so good. Its a real trick to have us in suspense even though we're supposed to know he makes it all out of this alive given it's a prequel.

Is The Last Kingdom any good?

If you like Cop shows, then True Detective ( at least the first season ) is required viewing, could well be the best cop story I've ever experience on tv - so creepy, so evil, so cool! VERY Bakker, you'll love it, hee hee

The Bridge was mad good as well, but only 2 seasons - they end the story, which is good, but wish AMC didn't "cancel" it by not ordering more seasons.

I left one out - Carnival ( HBO 2 season tv show ) - it's slow moving, but really trippy creepy stuff. I loved it - another Bakker sensibility story where no one is innocent.

Outcast really scared me in the traditional horror sense ( i.e. not a bunch of shock/surprise scenes, but slow moving into the evil, omg what's going to happen! stuff ). If you start this, keep with it, the end of the first season pays off big time ( that and I'm dying to talk about it with you guys! ).
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 20, 2017, 11:37:55 pm »
The Last Kingdom, is decent. Nothing groundbreaking and its probably what you consider B. But, its British, so I don't know if its high quality or not, really. Only thing I've watched that's British TV is Luther and Sherlock Holmes, the latter I really liked.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 21, 2017, 12:26:37 am »
Hey, Tao!

You should check out the "True Detective" thread on "The Forum Of Interesting Things". I'm sure there's a way to copy a link directly to the thread, but I can't remember how to do it. Maybe if I roll a wino, it'll come back to me.... ;)