• PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 26, 2015, 04:18:44 am »
I think in the books they just call it Zaudunyani Inrithism. As opposed to Orthodox Inrithism.

/party pooper

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 26, 2015, 12:03:27 pm »
I think in the books they just call it Zaudunyani Inrithism. As opposed to Orthodox Inrithism.

/party pooper
:(
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Simas Polchias

• Kijneta
  • Consult Fanboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 26, 2015, 01:32:50 pm »
Skin-Spies are exceedingly shallow creatures
I wonder, what will change of that feature when the NG walks? As far as I remember, hordes of scranc were rallied by his influence to a point when they were instantly screaming his (inner?) monologue to the mundane world. It's hard to decide if that shallowness helps such posession or complicates it.

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 26, 2015, 04:23:52 pm »
I always wondered how the NG "seized" the Sranc when they are soulless?

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 27, 2015, 12:38:11 am »
The No-God itself is supposedly soulless. It's a mystery.

I wonder, what will change of that feature when the NG walks? As far as I remember, hordes of scranc were rallied by his influence to a point when they were instantly screaming his (inner?) monologue to the mundane world. It's hard to decide if that shallowness helps such posession or complicates it.
The general effect seems to be a newfound fanaticism on behalf of the No-God. Though I'm not sure all of the Derived are really shallow. Skin-Spies and Sranc are about as deep as they need to be. Wracu may be different.

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 27, 2015, 02:40:38 pm »
I wonder if the No-God counts as an ensoulled creature once it has begun hoovering operations?

On a serious note intellect and the soul have some connection in Earwa, paradoxical understanding being an example. If the heart is the seat of the soul, where is the seat of the intellect?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 07:30:03 pm by SilentRoamer »

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 27, 2015, 04:24:55 pm »
The head/brain area? Where else would it be.

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 27, 2015, 07:31:32 pm »
For some reason I just feel like all thought arise from the soul in Earwa - that's how I think the Cants of Compulsion work. You're probably right though - dumb supposition.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 27, 2015, 07:43:34 pm »
It can't simply be just the soul though, since you can have soul/intellect without the other.

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 27, 2015, 08:38:17 pm »
I think most thought and emotion is actually wetware and the people of Earwa for the most part attribute it to the soul out of ignorance. Except in the case of Shauriatas, who has managed through unknown means to house every aspect of his mind in a free-floating soul. But that was apparently really strange and unexpected.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 27, 2015, 09:33:48 pm »
I think that exception disproves your rule. If Shauriatas could do it, I think its pretty safe to say that anyone can because of something fundamental he figured out (but no one else has) about the connections between intellect/emotion/soul. Sauriatas wouldn't be able to work with something that isn't there.

Same idea that with the Inchoroi grafting sorcery making it fundamentally genetic, i.e physical, rather than spiritual. If it wasn't genetic, they wouldn't have been able to do it.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 27, 2015, 09:49:04 pm »
My crazy ass speculation is that Kelmommas will kill the WLW. I've thrown this out at Westeros and never got any input back on it. First, Kel and WLW are obviously both in Momemn so the setting allows it. What I envision is that the WLW will be waiting in Esement's bedroom to kill her. And, Kel will be in the hidden tunnels and will see him. And, we don't have to discuss the links he will go to protect his mothers love. He'll sneak up on him and skewer him in the eye. His traditional method. I don't see the WLW killing the Anasurimbor family, he'll be stopped, and this is in my mind, the most likely outcome.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 27, 2015, 10:02:17 pm »
I think that exception disproves your rule. If Shauriatas could do it, I think its pretty safe to say that anyone can because of something fundamental he figured out (but no one else has) about the connections between intellect/emotion/soul. Sauriatas wouldn't be able to work with something that isn't there.

Same idea that with the Inchoroi grafting sorcery making it fundamentally genetic, i.e physical, rather than spiritual. If it wasn't genetic, they wouldn't have been able to do it.
If I make a digital copy of my brain via computer, does that mean my mind wasn't based in neurochemistry at all?

Rather, I think that Shauriatas accomplishing that proved that, under normal conditions, it's almost all wetware. Since before him any soul transplants left nothing like a mind intact. He had to come up with new things to host his intellect and emotions outside of his brain.

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #89 on: March 04, 2015, 07:06:40 pm »
My crazy ass speculation is that Kelmommas will kill the WLW. I've thrown this out at Westeros and never got any input back on it. First, Kel and WLW are obviously both in Momemn so the setting allows it. What I envision is that the WLW will be waiting in Esement's bedroom to kill her. And, Kel will be in the hidden tunnels and will see him. And, we don't have to discuss the links he will go to protect his mothers love. He'll sneak up on him and skewer him in the eye. His traditional method. I don't see the WLW killing the Anasurimbor family, he'll be stopped, and this is in my mind, the most likely outcome.

nice!  u got me thinking -- since the WLW is supposed to kill the emperor, the WLW might end up killing Kelmomas who becomes the emperor when his dad and all of his older siblings are killed