The Womb-Plague (A new theory, perhaps?)

• 60 Replies

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2015, 11:11:51 pm »
Personally I think the discovery of sorcery was a big clue.

profgrape

• The Afflicted Few
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2015, 03:11:20 am »
Ha!  Good point. Which makes me wonder when and from whom they first learned of sorcery. Would it have been from Nin?

geoint

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2015, 07:41:18 am »
Kind of unrelated and trivial but do we know what the average lifespan of nonmen was before the womb plague made them all immortal?

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2015, 07:48:28 am »
Ha!  Good point. Which makes me wonder when and from whom they first learned of sorcery. Would it have been from Nin?
Their first exposure may well have been at Pir-Pahal.

Kind of unrelated and trivial but do we know what the average lifespan of nonmen was before the womb plague made them all immortal?
Bakker has said at one point, but I can't remember the figure, beyond that it was significantly longer than a natural human lifespan; and that they apparently had the capacity to hold two or three times that span in memory before issues began to crop up.

Simas Polchias

• Kijneta
  • Consult Fanboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2015, 11:42:42 am »
As far as I remember, 300-400 years or so.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2015, 01:53:18 pm »

I would tend to agree, but the fact that their Arc crashed into Earwa makes me want to belive that they knew it was the promised land from the start. Would be terribly inconvenient if they lost 99% of their population and rendered their spaceship inoperable on a planet that wasn't Eden. Would slow them down immensely if that was there strategy every time, and then they just rebuilt the ship and repopulated before moving on.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
    • The Original No-God Apologist
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2015, 03:18:17 pm »

I would tend to agree, but the fact that their Arc crashed into Earwa makes me want to belive that they knew it was the promised land from the start. Would be terribly inconvenient if they lost 99% of their population and rendered their spaceship inoperable on a planet that wasn't Eden. Would slow them down immensely if that was there strategy every time, and then they just rebuilt the ship and repopulated before moving on.

I think so too.  Perhaps the reason it crashed is that it was never made to enter the atmosphere.  It only made landfall because they knew this would be the last stop.

However, if they knew that before they landed, why didn't they know it on any of the other worlds?  Or perhaps they didn't know what to look for, but when they finally saw it, they knew.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Francis Buck

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2015, 02:31:32 am »
I agree with the above. I also think that, somehow, they knew Earwa was the promised land once they found it. They must have had some method of detecting it, or at least the presence of altered metaphysics. Wutteat was on the Ark at least a little while before it got to Earwa, and considering he's "sustained by Hell from within", I feel like they must have had some knowledge of the metaphysics and what to expect. They were either literally just traveling through the cosmos destroying planets (presumably life-bearing ones?) at random, or they knew SOMETHING to give them a form of direction, even if it wasn't a 100% guarantee.

Bolivar

• Great Name
  • The Articulate Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2015, 05:47:30 am »
What if Earwa is the closest inhabitable planet to the center of the universe? I think I remember seeing this theory floating around before, given how the rest of the stars seem to revolve around the nail of heaven. Not sure if that was just the vision Kellhus had on the circumference though.

I think the Ark crash landing might have been another result of Inchoroi impatience - they were so ecstatic they finally found the promised land that they didn't even think to make a safe landing

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2015, 03:00:14 pm »
I always assumed the Ark's crash was either an accident on the Inchoroi's part or some God or Goddess seeing all those juicy damned souls approaching a place they could actually affect and crashing it for them.

Simas Polchias

• Kijneta
  • Consult Fanboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2015, 05:53:46 pm »
I would tend to agree, but the fact that their Arc crashed into Earwa makes me want to belive that they knew it was the promised land from the start.
Maybe they made a mistake.
Maybe Earwa is a trap for those who try to defy the Outside & Gods.

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2015, 05:33:12 am »
maybe whatever was chasing them damaged their ship just before it came through the nail of heaven.

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2015, 07:43:24 am »
Ah, the "Nail of Heaven as a distant star shining through a wormhole" theory.

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2015, 04:53:43 am »
nah the nail of heaven is where all of heaven shines through a single crack

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2015, 10:32:17 am »
If the other stars rotate around the Nail of Heaven it doesn't preclude Earwa to be the center of the universe.

Polaris (The North Star) is a stationary (from the perspective of a Northern Hemisphere observer) star that others "rotate" around - well it is not exactly centre as it does have some lateral motion of its own.

Just thought I would throw that out I have seen the centre of the Universe theory before.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 11:24:06 am by SilentRoamer »