Miscellaneous Chatter > General Misc.

Video Game Thread! What are you playing?

<< < (27/28) > >>

sciborg2:

--- Quote from: sciborg2 on January 28, 2020, 08:17:47 pm ---Unavowed: Great little point-click adventure game. Your character is a bit different than the usual - you were possessed and murdered a LOT of people. After the demon is exorcised the Unavowed offer you cover from being arrested in return for your services.

Unworthy: 2-D Dark Souls, very basic graphics. Boss battles are fun, currently fighting the Heir of Ambition aka a fucking archer bastard who was murking me on the daily until I put the game to the side to take a break.

Have a bunch more, I usually grab a lot of pixel art games on sale...

--- End quote ---

Beat Unavowed. Fun game, puzzles aren't too hard. Really liked the story.

Killed that archer boss in Unworthy, here's a link to what I was talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEUwUv758dM&feature=youtu.be&a=

sciborg2:

--- Quote from: sciborg2 on February 07, 2020, 06:41:23 am ---
--- Quote from: sciborg2 on January 28, 2020, 08:17:47 pm ---Unavowed: Great little point-click adventure game. Your character is a bit different than the usual - you were possessed and murdered a LOT of people. After the demon is exorcised the Unavowed offer you cover from being arrested in return for your services.

Unworthy: 2-D Dark Souls, very basic graphics. Boss battles are fun, currently fighting the Heir of Ambition aka a fucking archer bastard who was murking me on the daily until I put the game to the side to take a break.

Have a bunch more, I usually grab a lot of pixel art games on sale...

--- End quote ---

Beat Unavowed. Fun game, puzzles aren't too hard. Really liked the story.

Killed that archer boss in Unworthy, here's a link to what I was talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEUwUv758dM&feature=youtu.be&a=

--- End quote ---

Gotten further in Unworthy. Game definitely worth the price, even for someone who kinda sucks at Roguelites/RogueLikes. The one thing I would say is the platforming aspect gets less interesting, though eventually you gain means of circumventing a lot of the mega-dungeon. Still I love the boss battles and there is a good bit of satisfaction in finding the right combination of weapons to kill particularly frustrating enemies. 

Couple other Rogulelikes I started on are Mana Spark, Scourge Bringer, Ashen Forest, and Chrono Ark.

The last is a Card Based Combat system RPG with the death/resurrection/upgrade loop built into the narrative. I do wonder if I would ever unlock the whole story as you would need to loop through the game a LOT to get every cut scene I suspect...still I do think this idea of blending Magic/Pokemon/Digimon combat into an RPG has merit. It makes me wonder if this could be done without the roguelike like aspect, just a straight RPG where your deck gets better & better...

Wilshire:
Deck building RPGs were popular in the early 2000s iirc. Baten Kaitos "eternal wings and the lost ocean", for the Gamecube, A couple of the Kingdom Hearts games, but at least Chain of Memories for the gameboy.

Also one of my favorite franchises growing up was the Megaman Battle Network games, I think there are 6 of them.

Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean, is a more classic turn based game, but your attacks are all cards, drawn from a deck you build. Bonuses for certain type of cards played. I believe it had a later sequel but never played it.

Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories was real time, but still with attacks based on cards drawn from a custom built deck.

Megaman Battle Network (1 through 6, several of the later games had two different versions with slight different stories a la Pokemon) was something of a hybrid. Both sides got a 3x3 grid, you build your deck with cards, certain chains letting you use more in a tern or unlock souped up versions. Combat consisted of moving around the grid and firing your standard megaman blaster, with the cards you picked for that turn letting you do extra damage or giving you some buff, you get some X second before the turn bar refills, game pauses and you select a new hand to play, resume with new cards.

I'm sure there has got to be more recent versions of this but it has been a while. If you find any, let me know. I like the strategic flexibility of building a deck in an RPG.

Also, Slay the Spire is a popular roughlite deckbuilder, but there's little-to-no upgrades to your deck, its all about building it right, you can select incrementally higher difficulties as you complete the game loop each time.

sciborg2:

--- Quote from: Wilshire on February 19, 2020, 12:54:33 pm ---Deck building RPGs were popular in the early 2000s iirc. Baten Kaitos "eternal wings and the lost ocean", for the Gamecube, A couple of the Kingdom Hearts games, but at least Chain of Memories for the gameboy.

Also one of my favorite franchises growing up was the Megaman Battle Network games, I think there are 6 of them.

Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean, is a more classic turn based game, but your attacks are all cards, drawn from a deck you build. Bonuses for certain type of cards played. I believe it had a later sequel but never played it.

Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories was real time, but still with attacks based on cards drawn from a custom built deck.

Megaman Battle Network (1 through 6, several of the later games had two different versions with slight different stories a la Pokemon) was something of a hybrid. Both sides got a 3x3 grid, you build your deck with cards, certain chains letting you use more in a tern or unlock souped up versions. Combat consisted of moving around the grid and firing your standard megaman blaster, with the cards you picked for that turn letting you do extra damage or giving you some buff, you get some X second before the turn bar refills, game pauses and you select a new hand to play, resume with new cards.

I'm sure there has got to be more recent versions of this but it has been a while. If you find any, let me know. I like the strategic flexibility of building a deck in an RPG.

Also, Slay the Spire is a popular roughlite deckbuilder, but there's little-to-no upgrades to your deck, its all about building it right, you can select incrementally higher difficulties as you complete the game loop each time.

--- End quote ---

Nice - thanks for this list!

If I come across some good Deck-based RPGs I'll let you know, I have Slay the Spire as well as Hand of Fate but haven't done much in the first and never yet installed the latter...

sciborg2:
My pride is being tested by the Korean roguelite Skul: Hero Slayer - you are a tiny skeleton who gets different powers from sticking different skulls atop your spine.

I've done much better in darker atmosphere roguelike/lite games, so it's a bit frustrating to continually die before the first boss unless I get a really good skull to wear like Ghostrider.

I think I am up to the (not really) final boss in Unworthy, which is good but I got kinda tired of playing. Knowing I am gonna have to do another playthru to get the true ending is tiring at the moment...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version