Earwa > The Almanac: PON Edition

TDTCB, Ch. 12

(1/6) > >>

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: kalstone ---I had some free time and I thought I would throw up a quick summary to keep the discussion going.

--- Quote ---I have explained how Maithanet yoked the vast resources of the Thousand Temples to ensure the viability of the Holy War.  I have described, in outline, the first steps taken by the Emperor to bind the Holy War to his imperial ambitions.  I have attempted to reconstruct the initial reaction of the Cishaurim in Shimeh from their correspondence with the Padirajah in Nenciphon.  And I have even mentioned the hated Consult, of whom I can at long last speak without fear of ridicule.  I have spoken, in other words, almost exclusively of powerful factions and their impersonal ends.  What of vengeance?  What of hope?  Against the frame of competing nations and warring faiths, how did these small passions come to rule the Holy War?
Drusas Achamian, Compendium of the First Holy War
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---... though he consorts with man, woman, and child, though he lays with beasts and makes a mockery of his seed, never shall he be as licentious as the philospher, who lays with all things imaginable.
Inri Sejenus, Scholars, 36, 21, The Tractate

--- End quote ---
Early Spring, 4111 Year-of-the-Tusk, the Northern Jiünati Steppe

Cnaiür takes a journey to the burial ground of his fathers.  He finds a few dead men and a mountain of dead Sranc surrounding Kellhus who sits atop a barrow.  Cnaiür sees the resemblance to Moënghus, but Kellhus loses consciousness before he can be questioned.  Cnaiür realizes that they are atop his father's barrow.

Cnaiür's wives nurse Kellhus back to health.  His arrival has given Cnaiür the hope that he could lead him to Moënghus to gain revenge.  He has a flashback to Moënghus' arrival at the Utemont camp as a slave captured from the Sranc.  He recalls his slow seduction by Moënghus and how Moënghus opened his mind beyond the narrow ways of the Scylvendi.  Moënghus helps him become chieftain by killing his father, but when his mother gives birth to Moënghus' son and is killed by the other women in the tribe, Cnaiür realizes how much he had been used by the Dûnyain.  Though he is chieftain, he has earned the derision of his people, and he knows how poisoned the gift was.  He has longed for revenge since, and now it seems fate has delivered the means to achieve it.

Cnaiür cautiously approaches Kellhus to determine his mission.  He is astonished by the ease with which Kellhus analyzes his current situation.  Cnaiür says, "Perhaps I should think like a Sranc" and has him tortured.  That night, Cnaiür returns to him and Kellhus tells him his mission is to kill his father.

Kellhus and Cnaiür set out together.  Cnaiür remains as silent as possible, trying to protect himself.  Kellhus tells him why he must kill Moënghus, but Cnaiür does not believe him.  Kellhus realizes that Cnaiür is highly resistant to his power due to his knowledge of the Dûnyain.  He decides "Nothing deceived so well as the truth" and tells Cnaiür much about the Dûnyain and their power over non-Conditioned men.  Even this fails, and Kellhus realizes that Cnaiür cannot be controlled as other men and that he also is insane.
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Triskele ---Is this the chapter where, in a flashback, Moenghus asks Sciotha if he's been measured?  That was awesome.
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Madness ---Real cool, kalstone. Cheers.

Ch. 6, Trisk :).
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: Mog Kellhus ---One of my favourite chapters in general.The first meeting between Cnaiur and Kellhus is great but what i like most is their journey across Suskara,mainly from Cnaiur's perspective.I think that it was here that he became my favourite character,he is the only one(with the exception of Conphas)who resists the Dunyain's possession and he managed that while he was alone with him for many days(weeks?).Only after Serwe joined them Kellhus finally managed to control him and even then he surprised him many times with his actions.The flashback with Moenghus and young Cnaiur was also cool and very interesting.All in all a great chapter!!!
--- End quote ---

What Came Before:

--- Quote from: lockesnow ---what a chapter, tis a slog!  Again the structure of the book makes this so frustrating, I feel as though we get about two or three chapters worth of material here, and it's difficult to ruminate on any one thing when this chapter advances so fucking rapidly.

Anyone else note that Kellhus tells Cnaiur many things about the Dunyain and then it switches to Kellhus' perspective after these "reveals" and at this point Kellhus decides that perhaps he should try the truth rather than misleading the Barbarian?
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version