Miscellaneous Chatter > General Misc.

Quotes

<< < (3/62) > >>

H:

--- Quote from: Wilshire on June 12, 2018, 06:13:08 pm ---"Though well-equipped, we know not who we are or where we are going"
- Dr. Leon Kass on the possibilities of genetic engineering and modern science.

I encountered this line when I was much younger (still in grade school), doing 'research' for a 'paper' I was 'writing'. It stuck in my mind, though now I can't recall exactly what paper I got it from. A quick search pulls several hits- it seems its oft quoted - so I'm no longer sure exactly where it came from or the exact context. Great line though.
--- End quote ---

Reminds me of a Timothy Leary quote I have memorized thanks to it being in a song:

“Throughout human history, as our species has faced the frightening, terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are, or where we are going in this ocean of chaos, it has been the authorities, the political, the religious, the educational authorities who attempted to comfort us by giving us order, rules, regulations, informing, forming in our minds their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question authority and learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable, open-mindedness; chaotic, confused, vulnerability to inform yourself.”

MSJ:
Just wanna say I like the thread, and ill share how ive been vulnerable to my own biases, yet I (hopefully I am, but I indeed try to admit when I'm wrong and proof is put in my face) usually keep an open mind in any subject. I love this community because when people do disagree, its civil. I really enjoy that. And, I have had many views changed by just reading posts here. And, please feel free to call me out when I am not. I can fully admit to being wrong. I love that quote from above, first time ive heard it. Good words to live by.

themerchant:

H:
"And, as for such faith: it is not at all the will to believe things that you know perfectly well to be false. Faith is not the childish belief in magic. That is ignorance or even willful blindness. It is instead the realization that the tragic irrationalities of life must be counterbalanced by an equally irrational commitment to the essential goodness of Being."

Jordan B. Peterson, 12 Rules For Life

H:

--- Quote ---Christ would never have made the impression he did on his followers if he had not expressed something that was alive and at work in their unconscious. Christianity itself would never have spread through the pagan world with such astonishing rapidity had its ideas not found an analogous psychic readiness to receive them. It is this fact which also makes it possible to say that whoever believes in Christ is not only contained in him, but that Christ then dwells in the believer as the perfect man formed in the image of God, the second Adam. Psychologically, it is the same relationship as that in Indian philosophy between man’s ego-consciousness and purusha, or atman. It is the ascendency of the “complete”——or total human being, consisting of the totality of the psyche, of conscious and unconscious, over the ego, which represents only consciousness and its contents and knows nothing of the unconscious, although in many respects it is dependent on the unconscious and is often decisively influenced by it. This relationship of the self to the ego is reflected in the relationship of Christ to man.
--- End quote ---

C. G. Jung - "An Answer to Job"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version