mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2014, 01:35:26 am »
Maybe some of the Nonmen will be willing to be burnt, who knows what sways the minds of the Intact? Thinking about how little we know of the Nonmens overall motives.

If Kellhus has found a way to offer them the oblivion they seek, yeah, I could see this happening.

Francis Buck

« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2014, 04:11:41 am »
I think the idea that only "great" Nonmen can be turned into Qirri might be false. What I mean is, theoretically all Nonmen can be made into the substance, but it rarely happens since only the ones deemed to be "great" are ever burnt in the first place.

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile

Garet Jax

« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2014, 01:49:23 pm »
I was thinking along the same lines MG.  But, I am fairly positive that 'using' any nonman would enhance all non-Dunyain humans.

I wonder if only the greatest are historically allowed to 'use' their greatest?  A drug fit for kings?

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2014, 03:18:13 pm »
Oh yeah, most likely.  Kellhus can snort Mekeritrig, Sacarees can snort Nin'sariccas, and so on down to Galeoth grunt #14332 snorting nonman janitor.

When Kellhus has the Consult backed up all the way to Golgotterath, Shaurias will turn to Mekeritrig for 'help.'  Kellhus will have to go up against a qirri-mad 10-souled abomination!

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2014, 03:02:39 pm »
Qurri yet reminds me of chanv on steroids. A steroid for the mind at least. After all, the mind can overcome just about anything, who needs steroids for the body? Sure the skin-eaters where wasting away on the stuff, but they hardly knew. The body obeys what the mind commands.

I was thinking along the same lines MG.  But, I am fairly positive that 'using' any nonman would enhance all non-Dunyain humans.

non-Dunyain humans? Why that notation?
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Garet Jax

« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2014, 07:16:38 pm »
Qurri yet reminds me of chanv on steroids. A steroid for the mind at least. After all, the mind can overcome just about anything, who needs steroids for the body? Sure the skin-eaters where wasting away on the stuff, but they hardly knew. The body obeys what the mind commands.

Just my take.  I feel the "lowest" Nonman, whatever the fuck that means, wouldn't sharpen let's say, Kellhus' intellect as much as it would for anyone who might not be on his level. 

If in fact, that the strength of Qirri is relative to the "strength" of the burnt Nonman, and if there is such a thing as a "lowly Nonman".

Garet Jax

« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2014, 07:22:34 pm »

Just my take.  I feel the "lowest" Nonman, whatever the fuck that means, wouldn't sharpen let's say, Kellhus' intellect as much as it would for anyone who might not be on his level. 

If in fact, that the strength of Qirri is relative to the "strength" of the burnt Nonman, and if there is such a thing as a "lowly Nonman".

A lot of if's down this rabbit hole...

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2014, 07:37:48 pm »
Yeah can't say I agree with most of the stuff here :P

How would one measure great? Who would be the judge? If there was some God that was the judge, that wouldn't make much sense. Something would have to give the mundane (i.e. ash) metaphysical properties, and I doubt that any of the Gods would do that for the Nonmen.

I still hold that its a physical translation, perhaps due to the tekne affects, but not involving Gods or metaphysics. Though, one could still say that the "greatest" (smartest, strongest, etc.) could have received "more" of whatever "it" is that the Inchoroi did to them. But here "great" is simply a byproduct of the drugs taken.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 07:56:26 pm by Wilshire »

Phallus Pendulus

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2014, 04:56:50 pm »
Qirri and chanv aren't the same thing, lol.

Qirri's made of Nonmen ashes, chanv is a homage to 'Spice' from the Dune books.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2014, 06:48:34 pm »
Same could be said about qirri though. Its not all that different than spice.

With absolutely no idea where chanv come from, its really difficult suggest that it has no relation to qirri. We don't even know what makes qirri/nonman-ashes special. They could be connected in a really obscure way.

I'm not saying that they necessarily are related, but there is plenty of mystery surrounding the stuff to make a case either way.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 06:51:48 pm by Wilshire »

Phallus Pendulus

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2014, 08:39:32 pm »
Maybe, maybe not. Qirri's purpose in the story is totally different from chanv, tho. (AFAIK, chanv is only there as a cool homage to Dune and to make Iyokus a vampiric junkie.)

I dunno what the effect of Sranc-eating would be, compared to snorting Nonman-ashes...probably like paco to cocaine.

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile

Wic

• The Afflicted Few
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2014, 07:44:02 am »
The fact that Bakker closes out the Great Ordeal POV with Kell telling them they'll be eating sranc means it's a significant act.  I assume.

And so: is it because sranc are somehow polluted by being of the tekne, or because they are soulless yet active entities, or do they echo the spiritual vacuum of the NG, or...

I feel like insight in how eating sranc affects the GO is insight in why eating anything sorcerous might perturb a life.

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2014, 10:47:45 am »
The fact that Bakker closes out the Great Ordeal POV with Kell telling them they'll be eating sranc means it's a significant act.  I assume.

And so: is it because sranc are somehow polluted by being of the tekne, or because they are soulless yet active entities, or do they echo the spiritual vacuum of the NG, or...

I feel like insight in how eating sranc affects the GO is insight in why eating anything sorcerous might perturb a life.

Reminds me of that cool moment in Prince of Thorns

(click to show/hide)

Really curious to see if they end up eating dragon or bashrag.

Perhaps Kellhus is preparing the Great Ordeal to eat something really really saturated with sorcery?  Will he go all Jesus an feed himself to his followers?