[TUC Spoilers] About the glossary...

• 10 Replies

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
  • Approximation of a Human
    • View Profile
« on: July 19, 2017, 05:48:39 pm »
I've been wondering, is there any reason why some characters who died in TTT (Conphas, for instance) don't have their death date listed in the TUC glossary? It made sense for TTT, so that those looking at the glossary before reading the book could avoid spoilers, but these characters have been dead for 4 books now.

(By the way, not sure if "TUC Spoilers" should be in the title since this contains no actual spoilers for the book, but thought it best just in case.)
"But you’ve simply made the discovery that Thelli made—only without the benefit of her unerring sense of fashion."
-Anasûrimbor Kayûtas (The Great Ordeal, chapter 13)

"You prefer to believe women victims to their passions, but we can be at least as calculating as you. Love does not make us weak, but strong."
-Ykoriana of the Masks (The Third God, chapter 27)

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 05:51:58 pm »
(By the way, not sure if "TUC Spoilers" should be in the title since this contains no actual spoilers for the book, but thought it best just in case.)

You erred correctly. Quite probably that spoilers come up within thread at some point ;).
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 02:54:22 pm »
Conphas got beheaded. probably on Kellhus belt now.

I've been re-reading the other 6 books. Moe Sr is still in the game.

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 02:56:50 pm »

Conphas was just an example, I remember what happened to him, but his death date is not listed in the TUC glossary for some reason. However, other characters who died in TTT, such as Gothyelk, have their death year and manner of death listed. I still need to check who else is in the first situation, but I'm almost certain it's not just Conphas.
"But you’ve simply made the discovery that Thelli made—only without the benefit of her unerring sense of fashion."

"You prefer to believe women victims to their passions, but we can be at least as calculating as you. Love does not make us weak, but strong."

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 02:59:36 pm »

Conphas was just an example, I remember what happened to him, but his death date is not listed in the TUC glossary for some reason. However, other characters who died in TTT, such as Gothyelk, have their death year and manner of death listed. I still need to check who else is in the first situation, but I'm almost certain it's not just Conphas.

I have no way of working out why some characters have death dates and others don't, so i'm not going to worry about it. Could easily be a printing error, or bad editing etc. So much of that in the last 2 books i just put blinkers on with it.

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 03:03:32 pm »
I have no way of working out why some characters have death dates and others don't, so i'm not going to worry about it. Could easily be a printing error, or bad editing etc. So much of that in the last 2 books i just put blinkers on with it.

I'm the kind of person who pays attention to these nitpicky details, so I will always bring it up even if no one else cares much about it. ;)

I'm thinking this probably results from mistakes during editing...

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 03:08:40 pm »

I'm the kind of person who pays attention to these nitpicky details, so I will always bring it up even if no one else cares much about it. ;)

I'm thinking this probably results from mistakes during editing...

The thing is they could very well be useful. I'm just getting lazy with these things.

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 06:21:17 pm »
The thing is they could very well be useful. I'm just getting lazy with these things.

They probably won't be, unless one of these characters is somehow still alive. Doesn't seem likely, though.

Alright, so I've been checking (the wiki was a great help) and the following TUC glossary entries:
-Cememketri
-Conphas, Ikurei
-Eleäzaras, Hanamanu
-Gaidekki, Shressa
-Galgota, Nisht
-Ganyatti, Amurrei
-Ikurei Xerius III
-Opsara
-Pisathulas
-Sompas, Biaxi
are all missing a death date of 4112 (other characters who died in TTT either have it or are not in the glossary, I might have missed someone, though).

I'm assuming everyone who died before TTT was already listed as dead in the TTT glossary and thus won't have this problem (again, might need to check).
No idea if characters who died in TJE, TWLW and TGO might be missing death dates too, I will check those out when I get to those books during my current reread. :)

TheCulminatingApe

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 08:09:48 pm »
I've been wondering, is there any reason why some characters who died in TTT (Conphas, for instance) don't have their death date listed in the TUC glossary? It made sense for TTT, so that those looking at the glossary before reading the book could avoid spoilers, but these characters have been dead for 4 books now.

I'd suggest they've probably just been copied over from the TTT glossary without any updates
Sez who?
Seswatha, that's who.

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017, 09:05:16 pm »
I'd suggest they've probably just been copied over from the TTT glossary without any updates

It seems so, yes. It just bothers me that some were updated while others were not. :-\

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2017, 02:30:24 pm »

Bad editing by underpaid and overworked interns with the added benefit of bad and inexperienced oversight by the owner.

Most likely.
One of the other conditions of possibility.