Earwa > The White-Luck Warrior

Moenghus and the Sranc

(1/7) > >>

Trapshadow:
Not sure where this thread should go; if it's been discussed at some point in the past I apologize for wasting your time.

Moenghus came to be in Skiotha's possession when he was "taken from a band of Sranc travelling across Suskara" (TDTCB p. 340).

If it was anybody but a Dunyain we have to assume that a human would have been captive and requiring rescue. Surely Moenghus would have had the capacity to dominate the sranc and condition them.

Any thoughts as to what he might have been up to? Perhaps conditioning them for either his or his son's return?

Francis Buck:
Hm, I'd always assumed he was willingly captured or something, but I suppose conditioning if possible. Can something without a soul be conditioned? The skin-spies seemed pretty resistant to the Dunyain methods, but it might different in the case of the Sranc.

Cüréthañ:
If it was anyone other than a dunyain they would have been killed.  I think that is mentioned in Cnaiur's recollections.  Sranc are programmed so they can only find 'release' via murder and violation, its amazing that even a dunyain was able to forestall that fate.

Welcome to the boards =)

locke:

--- Quote from: Curethan on December 02, 2013, 12:38:03 am ---If it was anyone other than a dunyain they would have been killed.  I think that is mentioned in Cnaiur's recollections.  Sranc are programmed so they can only find 'release' via murder and violation, its amazing that even a dunyain was able to forestall that fate.

Welcome to the boards =)

--- End quote ---
I assumed Moenghus demonstrated his chief-sranc ness by achieving release via murder and violation, thus the Sranc accepted him as one of their own.  He certainly learned their language.

And it is not mysterious at all that Kellhus encountered no sranc on his sojourn to Leweth.  nope, not remotely suspicious, not at all like treading a conditioned path deliberately cleared for him. 

As to whether or not Moenghus was "up to something" with the sranc, that's something I've long wondered about.  Perhaps he was the chief dunyain engineer on sranc reprogramming techniques?

;)

Here's a wild question.  Dunyain would presumably preserve no knowledge of nonmen (Kellhus calls them 'another of Leweth's myths') nor Sranc.  The Dunyain went into isolation mid apocalypse and presumably would assume they were the only surviving humans. 

Fast forward 2000 years, when the dunyain encounter sranc, do they think the sranc are men, changed over 2000 years?  How would they know them to not be men, Sranc are equally slaves to their passions...

Cüréthañ:
Looked it up, and Cnaiur's cousin wasn't that shocked to find Moe as a prisoner - he merely notes that 'few men survived such captivity'.  I guess the Consult still needs to capture people to torture and experiment on.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version