Earwa > The Judging Eye

The Replacement Witch

<< < (2/5) > >>

Cüréthañ:
To me, that is just how the probability trance works.

If Kellhus knows there is a chance something 'bad' will happen, he still ends up profiting.  Otherwise he chooses a another 'golden path'.

In this case, we just don't know exactly how he benefits from his initial gambit failing.

Madness:

--- Quote from: mrganondorf on April 01, 2014, 11:41:21 am ---A few thoughts:

- probably the work of gnostic glamour
--- End quote ---

That's my bet. Though due to the "ghostly ramparts," which I believe is the description of her defensive Ward cast, I suspect Kellhus didn't limit the Swayali's education to the Gnosis.

--- Quote from: mrganondorf on April 01, 2014, 11:41:21 am ---- possibly something we won't see again in the series, since this seems like a high risk/desperation move (witches are so valuable and so exposed by their mark)
--- End quote ---

I can't remember if Psatma can see as the Few...

Regardless, you'd think with the unclear metaphysical nature of the Catacombs and it being Psatma's high table someone would notice the Mark... unless that was the function of the person replaced.

--- Quote from: mrganondorf on April 01, 2014, 11:41:21 am ---- riffing off that last thought: there must be a whole class of people throughout Earwa who missed being snatched up by schools when they were young, but they can still see the onta--these people would be invaluable as spies!  every great faction has to have some!
--- End quote ---

The Thousand Temples had the College of Luthymae (featured in my Swayal story). All the secular factions must use the non-Marked Few as such, especially the Inrithi faithful. But the Schools. They probably train all their Few.

(click to show/hide)
--- Quote from: mrganondorf on April 01, 2014, 11:41:21 am ---- if we do see it again, who will be unmasked? perhaps someone we already think is marked? Cleric wasn't Cleric, Mimara takes a wrong turn in the maze, jogs back to be with Akka, he's been *replaced*
--- End quote ---

Subforum is TJE, MG :P. Anything past should be tagged.

But you know, I often wonder if Bakker is going to start killing characters The Departed-style. It makes me fear for the future.

--- Quote from: mrganondorf on April 01, 2014, 11:41:21 am ---- could be Kellhus' dunyain/neuropuncture/skin spy mess?  The passage reads so much like a skin spy substitution, I gotta think Bakker was trying to communicate that vibe.  Kellhus is worse than the Consluts to Psatma.
--- End quote ---

Consluts... lol.

I think Kellhus could easily have fucked with a skin-spy. But I think he probably uses his instruments...

That'd be some good atrocity tales, of Kellhus' Ministrate fighting to take over the Three-Seas, cloak and dagger-like.

(click to show/hide)Tsuor could be Kellhus' neuropunctured/skinspy, MG.

--- Quote from: mrganondorf on April 01, 2014, 11:41:21 am ---- chorae: either it is as the priestesses think in the above passage (Eleva is replaced after the touching a chorae) OR Eleva was handling a fake chorae--which got me thinking, there must be a lot of those around.  If you don't have the ability to discern a fake one from a real tear of god, you could be totally tricked into buying one at a bargain rate in the streets of Momen.

--- End quote ---

Given that they are a mark of nobility in the Three-Seas, I'm going to say that vendor's dealing fake-Chorae get put in the River Phayus real quick.

mrganondorf:
Fixed!  ;D

Madness:
Lol :).

mrganondorf:
In this thread:
http://second-apocalypse.com/index.php?topic=736.0
Socrates made an interesting observation:

--- Quote ---in the beginning of The Judging Eye, you may recall the Yatwer cult has a meeting and a sorceress spy is uncovered and killed with a Chorae. Everyone assumes she is Swayali and a spy from Kellhus. But what makes me doubt this is that right before being killed, she raises what are pretty clearly Anagogic Wards. It is pretty explicit.

--- Quote ---Eleva leapt to her feet, her arms outstretched, her eyes and mouth shining sun-white, her hair and robes boiling in some intangible tempest. [...] Spectral walls parsed the Charnal Hall, the ghosts of cyclopean bricks.
--- End quote ---

That doesn't look like Gnostic Abstractions to me. It makes me wonder if with the creation of the Swayal Compact, some of the other Anagogic Schools decided to quietly accept some female students. With the Schools off on the Great Ordeal, a School that had witches as secret members left behind in the Three Seas could possibly seize an advantage in the turmoil.
--- End quote ---

Maybe just an author mistake, I don't know.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version