Earwa > The Great Ordeal

New Cover Discussion

<< < (2/6) > >>

Madness:
Lol - yeah. There's a whole unfortunate series of face covers...

Somnambulist:
Before I weigh in on covers, can anyone elaborate on exactly why they feel the 'face' covers are so crap?

Madness:
Well, I know very little about the study of art and only a little bit more about why the brain seems to find certain principles in art more aesthetically attractive than other particular visual cues...

But I "feel" like the Rankine series (TWP, for instance) is on the other spectrum of quality covers than the face series.

EDIT: Also, let it be officially declared by myself that I'd love to see Somnambulist do the next cover and/or illustrated editions of PON, TGO, TUC, whatever.

Aural:
Speaking of faces, someone mentioned on the other board that this face is a blind man with a serpent. Wonder what people here think about that.

Somnambulist:
Lol, come on, buddy!  I appreciate the 'United Nations' answer, cuz Kellhus knows I've given a shit-ton of them in my own life. :)

Are the Rankine covers the originals from Canada?  Like, the ones you're used to?  Taking nothing away from them at all, because they're elaborately beautiful (imo), but I wonder if it's a mental connection to the text.  The copy of TDTCB I found/bought all those years ago was the face cover.  TBH, it's one of the reasons I bought the book.  It was dark, mysterious, serious looking, and along with the title, just blew away every other book in the 'fantasy' genre that was out at the time (that I remember, anyway).  So, I wonder if that's my mental connection.  Like, that's the way it's supposed to look or something, so I'm partial to those covers now.

I just found it interesting how a few of you seem to despise those face covers.  Maybe if the one I'd bought had been a Rankine version, I'd feel the same way.  Just thought it was curious.

Now you can blast me for liking the face ones.  Ooh, I can feel the damnation welling up...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version