Other Titles > Neuropath

Is a Neuropath future inevitable and/or unavoidable?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Wilshire:

--- Quote from: jamesA01 on July 13, 2017, 12:28:25 am ---If it's not then we're all failures.

--- End quote ---
Welcome back :) .

jamesA01:
Good to be back, this place looks a lot better now.

The tech in Neuropath/Crash Space is exactly the kind of tech we need to STOP johnny serial killer and muhammed el boom boom before they go loco. Sorry if it doesn't respect hallucinatory religious notions of a transcendental self and it's holy agency. The buddha is laughing at you while he reads a thinkpiece on how diets rich in rice seem to produce less individualistic cultures. It's all material folks.

We always were stupid violent gene replicating trash and we've always been doing the kind of evil shit depicted in those novels to each other and covering it over and getting away with it. Being able to lock someone up after the fact is enough to stop them doing it again, but it's hardly good enough.

Yeah, I know this tech is neutral, it's gonna be used for good and bad. No, I am not implying that it will only be used for good. But the faster we get there the better IMO.

It all depends on how good you think current humanity is. I think we're pieces of shit (I, we, you) and our history bears that out, and even the best of us are still pretty horrible.

Wilshire:
Hope you stick around for a while. And thanks, its taken some work but I'm glad some people like the new look.

I'm with you.

Recently read, Madness probably gave me the link, something about how post-humanism will likely not start on Earth. Reasoning basically because there's too much cultural inertia and too little incentive. Too much excess for those who could develop and implement it to drive them to do it, then throw in corrupt religion and politics and you're sunk.

No, the post-humanist movement will occur in frontier societies whose need to enhancements will take precedence over millennia of historical baggage. (pie-in-the-sky: ideally that'd be Mars/moon/lagrange colonies, far enough away and far enough along to avoid a catastrophic failure of Earthicans)

I largely agree with this sentiment. Then, fast forward a few decades/centuries and our post human brethren will come back to earth and wonder how such simple animals could still be in charge.

I just have so little faith in 'humanity' as a whole. Better to chop it up into isolated segments and have the creme rise, though I don't think that's truly possible in the society we live in today.

Though I'd like to contradict myself as well. I think if some progress is made in the avenues of Crash Space / Neuropath, it'll be controlled here by small groups of powerful people. The rich and well connected circumventing laws and genetically enhancing their children directly. Why bother paying for something so ethereal as 'better schools' when you can concentrate your assets to directly benefit yourself and your offspring. This divide, imo, would progress rapidly after it began, and create a kind of permanent divide between the top and bottom.

After all, people are terrible creatures. That we've made it this far on our own is a miracle, I just hope we don't hit the self-destruct button before securing ourselves or our progeny a place to live safely once that happens. (I like Kakku's idea that there are no visible type 1 alien civilizations because they all blow themselves up before they get there).

H:

--- Quote from: Wilshire on July 28, 2017, 12:45:47 pm ---Though I'd like to contradict myself as well. I think if some progress is made in the avenues of Crash Space / Neuropath, it'll be controlled here by small groups of powerful people. The rich and well connected circumventing laws and genetically enhancing their children directly. Why bother paying for something so ethereal as 'better schools' when you can concentrate your assets to directly benefit yourself and your offspring. This divide, imo, would progress rapidly after it began, and create a kind of permanent divide between the top and bottom.
--- End quote ---

An EPS cycle, perhaps?  I mean, probably not exactly.  In fact, perhaps more of a E-S-P cycle, where once the elite have proven it effective, specialized private sectors will get involved (looking first, of course at military uses) then eventually trickling down to popular use.

Wilshire:
Unless it goes full nonman/emwama dichotomy, that's pretty reasonable. I'm just of the mind that those who start will have an insurmountable lead.

Like if you discover an AI/machine leaning/algorithm to beat the stock market. Yeah, other people will get it at some point, but the longer it's just you, the more assets you'll have accumulated, and those compound to the point where you're functionally infinetly ahead... clunky analogy. Point being, will the headstart rapidly become insurmountable.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version