Earwa > General Q&A

[TUC Spoilers] Tsinirû

(1/2) > >>

ThoughtsOfThelli:
From the TUC glossary,
"Ishterebinth" entry:

--- Quote ---This (likely apocryphal) prophecy of competition between Ishoriöl and Siöl did not come to pass until the famed marriage of Queen Tsinirû (one of the most gifted of the Quyil) with Sin'niroiha, the Nonman King of Nihrimsûl, the ancient rival of Kû'jara-Kinmoi.
--- End quote ---
"Nihrimsûl" entry:

--- Quote ---What little is known regarding Nihrimsûl comes refracted through the lens of Ishoriöl, which though unified with Nihrimsûl through the marriage of Sin'niroiha and Tsinirû, remained thoroughly Tsonic in custom and outlook.
--- End quote ---
"Sin'niroiha" entry:

--- Quote ---Nonman King of Nihrimsûl, initially, and thence Ishoriöl through his marriage to the sorceress Tsinirû, who would bear him Nil'giccas, his only son, and at long last unite all Mansions under the Blood of Tsonos.
--- End quote ---

Can we thus conclude that Tsinirû was the queen of Ishoriöl in her own right before the marriage to Sin'niroiha? If so, that's a tantalizing bit of information...we know so little about the Cûnuroi women, let alone their role in society and whatnot. They're mostly notable just for the fact of their deaths, and bits like this just make me want to know more about some of these female characters that are mentioned here and there throughout the books.

Wilshire:
You're delving into the glossary entries are very interesting, keep at it :)

Quyil - a female nonman magi?

The way the entry is written, it could be interpreted that she was a Queen prior to her union with Sin'niroiha. Its very easy to assume otherwise given the setting but the Nonmen did always have strange customs ;) .

ThoughtsOfThelli:

--- Quote from: Wilshire on March 12, 2018, 02:51:29 pm ---You're delving into the glossary entries are very interesting, keep at it :)
--- End quote ---

Thanks. :P "ThoughtsOfThelli muses about glossary details, Xth edition"...

--- Quote from: Wilshire on March 12, 2018, 02:51:29 pm ---Quyil - a female nonman magi?
--- End quote ---

I actually assumed that was a collective noun of some sort, but you might be right. Intriguing, wish someone would ask Bakker about some of these things I wonder about. ;)

--- Quote from: Wilshire on March 12, 2018, 02:51:29 pm ---The way the entry is written, it could be interpreted that she was a Queen prior to her union with Sin'niroiha. Its very easy to assume otherwise given the setting but the Nonmen did always have strange customs ;) .

--- End quote ---

It does seem to be the case, doesn't it? These sort of details just makes me want to know more, as I said in my previous post...
Also of note is the fact that Nil'giccas seems to have inherited his ability for sorcery from his mother (Sin'niroiha does not seem to be mentioned as being one of the Qûya, but I might have missed it?). Interesting in a series/universe where taking after one's father in looks and/or skills is most often the case.

H:

--- Quote from: ThoughtsOfThelli on March 12, 2018, 03:40:34 pm ---I actually assumed that was a collective noun of some sort, but you might be right. Intriguing, wish someone would ask Bakker about some of these things I wonder about.
--- End quote ---

Isn't the opposite as likely?  Quya is the group, a Quyil is one member?

Wilshire:

--- Quote from: H on April 11, 2018, 02:19:36 pm ---
--- Quote from: ThoughtsOfThelli on March 12, 2018, 03:40:34 pm ---I actually assumed that was a collective noun of some sort, but you might be right. Intriguing, wish someone would ask Bakker about some of these things I wonder about.
--- End quote ---

Isn't the opposite as likely?  Quya is the group, a Quyil is one member?

--- End quote ---

I'd have to look it up to be sure, but I'd say is that Quya is almost certainly the masculine noun that is both singular in plural.

My guess is that if it was something else, we'd have had references to "Quyas" or "Quyil" (or Quyari since the 'i' plural seems prevalent) at some point. Granted, most of the books we don't have multiple nonmen standing around to begin with, but certainly in TGO and TUC you think we've have at least on reference of a pluralized Quya. Given the absence of that, I think it far more likely that Quya/Quyil are gendered nouns.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version