Earwa > General Q&A

[PoN SPOILERS] Why are the Dunyain stronger and faster?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Madness:
I can't find the quote - and can't dig up my books at the moment - but every wiki (and -adjacent) description on the interwebs uses:

"[T]he Dûnyain have concealed themselves, breeding for reflex and intellect, and continually training in the ways of limb, thought, and face—all for the sake of reason, the sacred Logos."

EDIT: The latter half of that is almost certainly a direct quote from TDTCB. Also, my bold.

EDIT/EDIT: Unless it's a quote by Cnaiur in TTT to Achamian but I feel like this is a quote from TDTCB from Kellhus' POV.

H:

--- Quote from: Madness on February 27, 2020, 07:48:42 pm ---I can't find the quote - and can't dig up my books at the moment - but every wiki (and -adjacent) description on the interwebs uses:

"[T]he Dûnyain have concealed themselves, breeding for reflex and intellect, and continually training in the ways of limb, thought, and face—all for the sake of reason, the sacred Logos."

EDIT: The latter half of that is almost certainly a direct quote from TDTCB. Also, my bold.

EDIT/EDIT: Unless it's a quote by Cnaiur in TTT to Achamian but I feel like this is a quote from TDTCB from Kellhus' POV.

--- End quote ---

It is actually from the What Came Before, in TWP and TTT.

Madness:
I'll have to look, I'm almost positive Kellhus' reminisces in TDTCB about the training in the ways of limb and face.

EDIT: Oh, yes, that quote. Right. Still, what I wrote above.

H:

--- Quote from: Madness on February 27, 2020, 07:55:31 pm ---I'll have to look, I'm almost positive Kellhus' reminisces in TDTCB about the training in the ways of limb and face.

EDIT: Oh, yes, that quote. Right. Still, what I wrote above.

--- End quote ---

There is this line from Chapter 17, which is what you are probably recalling (Kellhus talking to a Pragma):

--- Quote ---“Yes. The Logos is without beginning or end. And yet Man, young Kellhus, does possess a beginning and end—like all beasts. Why is Man distinct from other beasts?”
“Because like beasts, Man stands within the circuit of before and after, and yet he apprehends the Logos. He possesses intellect.”
“Indeed. And why, Kellhus, do the Dûnyain breed for intellect? Why do we so assiduously train young children such as you in the ways of thought, limb, and face?”
“Because of the Quandary of Man.”
--- End quote ---

And the appendix has under Dunyain:

"A hidden monastic sect whose members have repudiated history and animal appetite in the hope of finding absolute enlightenment through the control of all desire and circumstance. For two thousand years they have bred their members for both motor reflexes and intellectual acuity."

Madness:
The quote from Ch.17 was the one I was thinking of, thank you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version