Earwa > The No-God

Will Akka and co even make it back to the TS?

(1/10) > >>

profgrape:
At some point, Bakker described Atrithau as something we'll visit in future books.  Which now means TNG.  And given the parallels between Akka and Seswatha's roles in their respective Apocolypses, if we ever see Atrithau it seems like it would be through Akka's eyes. 

I could see Esme and Mimara will end up crossing the Leash, skirting the Demua mountains (perhaps picking up a certain crab-handed boy along the way) and heading for Atrithau. 

Of course, Atrithau will be in chaos.  Their king was killed by Cnaiur and the Scylvendi at the Battle of Eels just a few months prior to the NG's advent.  And like Seswatha, Akka will come in and fail spectacularly at rallying the troops.

The question of where they go next is where things get interesting.

If they want to head for the Three Seas, they'd either have to cross the Jiunati Steppe (which might be fine as the Scylvendi warriors are elsewhere) or head for the pass into Galeoth -- both treacherous options.   But would Esme even want to do that after witnessing the empire's literal collapse in Momemn?  Wouldn't they want to head someplace where they could at least mount some sort of resistance? 

Instead of the TS, they might leave Atrithau, head south, skirt west of the Sea of Jorua and then cross the unnamed tributary into High Holy Zeum!

ThoughtsOfThelli:
I think it's very likely we'll see Atrithau early(ish?) in TNG, for all the reasons you pointed out. Things over there do seem to have been in quite a bit of disarray even before the start of the Second Apocalypse...it's likely whatever they manage to accomplish there won't last for long.

I have a guess which may be entirely wishful thinking - they might go to Conriya at some point (geography-wise people, feel free to tell me if I'm being a complete idiot here). Esmenet has already been established as trusting Proyas' wife (now widow) Miramis, and actually thought of finding refuge there following Maithanet's coup:

--- Quote from: TWLW, Chapter 14 ---She understood the force of his argument--not a day passed where she failed to inventory all those she thought she could trust. House Nersei, in particular, in Aöknyssus. Surely she could depend on Queen Miramis--Saubon's niece and Proyas's wife--to at least give her sanctuary, if not prosecute the interests of her family.
--- End quote ---
Of course, Miramis might not be so willing to help out the widow of the man who set up her husband to be executed as a traitor (especially if they only go there after months have passed and Mirathais and other possible survivors have had time to take news back to Miramis). We don't know what Miramis' relationship with Proyas was like (considering he wasn't even around most of the time), but I'd be very surprised if there weren't at least quite a few people in Conriya who refused to believe or at least were strongly suspicious of the accusations against Proyas. He seems to have been a well-loved king.

On Zeüm - I think Akka and co. may not go there for quite a while, but we'll get an idea of what is going on there before that via one or more new POVs (Likaro, another Mbimayu sorcerer, maybe even the Satakhan or any of his surviving family members before they get murdered by the Malowebi-faced demon...).

H:
Well, I'd think it would be nearly impossible for Akka, Mimara, Esmenet and the baby to foot-slog it all the way back, now that there is no Ordeal to draw the Sranc to it.  It would also be a bad idea to try to cut through Scylvendi territory.  So, I think it will have to either be a deus ex machina to get them out, or that they somehow carve out a hiding somewhere they can get to.  The last option would probably be finding some actual people along the coast who would sail them south.

ThoughtsOfThelli:

--- Quote from: H on May 29, 2018, 02:18:07 pm ---Well, I'd think it would be nearly impossible for Akka, Mimara, Esmenet and the baby to foot-slog it all the way back, now that there is no Ordeal to draw the Sranc to it.  It would also be a bad idea to try to cut through Scylvendi territory.  So, I think it will have to either be a deus ex machina to get them out, or that they somehow carve out a hiding somewhere they can get to.  The last option would probably be finding some actual people along the coast who would sail them south.
--- End quote ---

For the time being at least, hiding seems like the best option. The No-God is not that likely to get to them if they stay away from densely populated areas. (Of course, they can't do so forever...)
I'd think that most of the capable Scylvendi warriors were with Cnaiür and would currently still be away from their territory (the ones that are still alive, that is)...but it'd still be a bad idea for Akka and co. to go through the Steppe, yes.

TaoHorror:
Did we see them "leave" at the end of TUC? I don't recall. Another option is to enter The Ark.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version