[TUC Spoilers] The Judging Eye is not Blinded by the No-God

• 5 Replies

bridgeburner

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« on: August 06, 2017, 06:28:23 am »
I don't know why this didn't occur to me before, but I just went back and re-read the last few pages of TUC and the moment when Mimara saw "Kellhus" at the end. The line "It does not matter. The Judging Eye is open."

This is after Kel was put into the carapace. This is after resumption. Whatever powers The Judging Eye isn't blinded by the No-God. What the hell does that mean? Is it a power separate from "the hundred"? Is it truly powered by the "God of Gods"?

Edit: This almost seems to contradict a previous scene from Kel's POV where Mimara doesn't seem to see him at first (until presumably the Judging Eye closes). I'm not sure what to make of it to be honest.

[EDIT Madness: Title.]
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 02:08:54 pm by Madness »

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 07:25:21 am »
Aye, the God is immanent in the World. The Outside (souls, ciphrang and gods) is how It experiences Itself, kind of like a dream, I think.

The Object collapses the subjective lens through which It interacts with creation. So the Judging Eye is super important. Interesting that Akka knows about the Judging Eye, yet there are no mentions of it in the Sagas or the Dreams. Perhaps it has been excised from history, except for that tapestry that Mimara sees.

There is the question of whether Ajokli became immanent in Creation through Cnaiur, or if that scene represents him dissolving along with the Outside.

Then I think it might be interesting what might happen with all these other mummified souls we have littering the narrative. Malowebi, Seswatha, probably Shauritias, maybe Kellhus and maybe the Amiolas guy.

edit
Oh yeah, what's the deal with anarcane ground in this case? Might be important as Atrithau seems like a sensible place for Mimara et al to run to.

As to Kelmomas, the No-god is an inversion. It seems like it would be the one thing the Eye can't countenance. Indeed, when Mimara does look upon it with the Eye she pierces the hologram and sees the sacrophagus. Then the questions start and the whirlwind rises. There is a hum of power from the Upright Horn too, but I think it's all about the timing.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 08:11:30 am by Cüréthañ »
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 02:10:31 pm »
Edit: This almost seems to contradict a previous scene from Kel's POV where Mimara doesn't seem to see him at first (until presumably the Judging Eye closes). I'm not sure what to make of it to be honest.

I read that recently and I imagine this could go either way. Either Kelmomas is seeing the Judging Eye close OR it's simply Mimara's inattention and it's a misdirect on Bakker's part.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 05:24:35 pm »
I still like to think that it's not actually God's judgement Mimara is seeing, but Mimara's.

solipsisticurge

• Momurai
  • There is a head on a pole behind him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 07:05:04 pm »
I still like to think that it's not actually God's judgement Mimara is seeing, but Mimara's.
I've wondered about that myself, as it seems to reinforce her already extant opinions and desires. Her and her mother escape damnation despite numerous sins. The only person she really cares about confirmed as damned is Akka, and perhaps her care doesn't trump her preconceived cultural judgment of sorcery.

Do wr have any confirmed salvations not rendered by the Eye other than the one warrior who dies near the end? Up to that point I had been certain that damnation was universal, and the Eye was somehow either inaccurate or a means of forestalling it without severing the Outside.

(It took five tries to get my phone not to autocapitalize Trump. I hate modern living.)

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Kings never lie. They demand the world be mistaken.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
    • The Original No-God Apologist
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 12:25:45 pm »
I've wondered about that myself, as it seems to reinforce her already extant opinions and desires. Her and her mother escape damnation despite numerous sins. The only person she really cares about confirmed as damned is Akka, and perhaps her care doesn't trump her preconceived cultural judgment of sorcery.

Do wr have any confirmed salvations not rendered by the Eye other than the one warrior who dies near the end? Up to that point I had been certain that damnation was universal, and the Eye was somehow either inaccurate or a means of forestalling it without severing the Outside.

I've said it before and I probably will until I am thoroughly disproved, but I think part of the point of the Eye is that it isn't just Divine Sight, it's Divine Sight and mundane sight rolled into one.  So, what Mimara sees is both divine and mundane.  It's both her view and the God of God's.  In other words, like Kellhus says, the prophet brings the word to God, not really the reverse.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira