Musings on Techne creations

• 27 Replies

Inraus Ghost

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« on: January 30, 2014, 10:13:55 pm »
A couple things occurred to me.

The inchorai made sranc from nonmen and dragons presumably from a life form existing on one of their previous conquests. So why no human techne toys?

From where are all the sranc coming? I don't recall seeing any females and they sure ain't keeping human women alive long enough to come to term.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 11:17:26 pm »
I don't have a page number for you, but somewhere in the text it said that there used to be Female Sranc in the fields during the First Apocalypse. I actually seem to remember that the Consult preferred female Sranc for some reason. It might have only be referenced once or twice in the books though, easy to miss. There should have been plenty left for them to breed among themselves.

The reason sranc exist in the first place was to eradicate the Nonmen but leave the rest of the world untouched. They feed on mostly grubs so as to leave the world untouched for their masters.
Wracu were created to contend with the Nonmen Quya, when that failed, they tried to graft on the ability to see the Onta.

Arguable, skin-spies Are human teckne toys. In my mind, I see them as the Consults bid to destroy what remains of the Mandate. After hundreds of years they couldn't destroy the Mandate by force, so they turned to espionage.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Inraus Ghost

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 12:49:55 am »
Wutteat claims to "watching my makers decend as locusts on world after world" hence my ET assertion. How many of his progeny predate landing on Earwa we do not know.

Thanks on the female sranc part, missed or forgot that.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 12:55:49 am »
That, Wilshire, I believe is TTT Glossary under Sranc. From the Wiki (which is mostly lifted from the Glossary):

They reproduce rapidly. Though no outward physical differences are readily visible, female Sranc seem to have roles identical to those of male Sranc. Apparently, a great number of Sranc in various stages of pregnancy were observed in battle over the course of the Apocalypse.

Have you read this interview yet, Inraus Ghost?

Specifically:
Pat: Wutteat mentions that he journeyed with the Inchoroi across the void, and that Sil rode him. The Appendix of TTT says that dragons were created after the first engagement between the Nonmen and Inchoroi, where Sil was killed. Did the Inchoroi, for some reason, leave their dragons behind in the first battle?

Bakker: Wutteat is the prototype, the genotypical template the Inchoroi used to spawn the Wracu. In a sense, he is no more ‘another dragon’ than the original 1889 prototype for the metre in Sevres, France is another metre.

My favorite nerdanel about Wutteat is that he's from Cybertron before the civil wars ;)... or rather in an alternative universe where the Inchoroi nerf Cybertron, anyways.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 12:57:27 am by Madness »
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Francis Buck

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 04:21:35 am »
Something I've wondered recently was why the skin-spies aren't used in a more combative role. I mean they're basically supersoldiers. Strength, speed, senses, and utterly driven to achieve their goals (oh yeah and they can change faces). Even Cnaiur and pre-sorcerery Kellhus had trouble fighting them, so imagine an army (or hell, a hundred of them). Plus, their usefulness as spies seems...not all that useful, especially not anymore in the New Empire. There's also the implication that the Consult is running out of them -- Aurang muses about "how few of his children are left". So who made them, and why did they stop? They appear to be a relatively new creation, as we've never heard of them being around during the First Apocalypse.

I do hope we get to see some kind of crazy, brand new Tekne creature in TUC that the Consult has been working on.

ETA: I've speculated before that the Bashrag were made from humans rather than Nonman. Their descriptions always seem to lean towards human-analogies rather than Nonman ones, and they also have hair.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 04:23:11 am by Francis Buck »

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 04:51:19 am »
The advent of the skin-spies is implied when the Mandate lose track of their Mission in Atrithau 300ish years before the Holy War.

I actually figure that the skin-spies will be used in an active combat role when it comes to Dagliash and the future narrative.

I do hope we get to see some kind of crazy, brand new Tekne creature in TUC that the Consult has been working on.

Pretty sure, this is the implication of the skin-spies and the Ursranc - someone, likely Shauriatas, has been relearning the Tekne. I mean, this is the ticking inevitability of the Second Apocalypse... During the First Apocalypse, the Consult had the perfect balance of working Tekne knowledge to raise/summon/create/trap/etc the No-God. The Inchoroi's memory was declining, and Mekeritrig and Shaeonanra had only toyed with the Tekne for a thousand years (Inraus Ghost mentioned it but there have only ever been two great productions of Sranc; the Cuno-Inchoroi Wars circa. the Womb-Plague and shortly after the Mangaecca retreats permanently to the Ark circa. the False Sun - the TTT Glossary mentions the Great Sranc-Wars in the Apocalypse entry I believe).

So it took Shaeonanra/Consult 1700 to learn enough of the Tekne to pick up the slack of the Inchoroi's declining memory to make one new thing, the skin-spies. Since then they've also made Ursranc - and probably other things.

Eventually, they will figure out the No-God again.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Inraus Ghost

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 08:55:25 am »
Wow, no I had not. Thank you sir may I have another. No seriously, are there more like this in a thread I somehow overlooked? A lot of cool stuff in there. But the Tusk? Really? Balls. That has a ton of potential implications.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 01:17:58 pm »
Lol - Umm... ;).

There is a thread stickied at the top of all the Earwan subforums entitled Links to Fan Resources and within you might find a link to Interviews & Articles. I whole-heartedly suggest that you expose and subject yourself to them :). Apologies that they aren't chronological - that bothers me. I might just affect change.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Alia

• Kijneta
  • Of The Knife
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 03:39:16 pm »
As for female Sranc - if you read the description of Sranc in the glossary at the end of TFT, here they are.
The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom - William Blake

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 05:21:05 pm »
Wow, no I had not. Thank you sir may I have another. No seriously, are there more like this in a thread I somehow overlooked? A lot of cool stuff in there. But the Tusk? Really? Balls. That has a ton of potential implications.
lmao because:
There is a thread stickied at the top of all the Earwan subforums

Madness has tried so hard to make that topic easier to find  ;D

Inraus Ghost

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 09:30:51 am »
lmao because:
There is a thread stickied at the top of all the Earwan subforums

Madness has tried so hard to make that topic easier to find  ;D
I've a mental quirk where I read things like forums, textbooks, and RPG books in bits that seem most interesting first rather a sensible order that lets me see where I'm going. So sometimes I miss the obvious, and unfortunately look the fool. :)

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2014, 01:44:30 pm »
and unfortunately look the fool. :)

The only fools around here wouldn't admit this.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Phallus Pendulus

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 01:06:22 pm »
I remember at least one reference to female Sranc - it was probably in one of the appendices, a part about female Sranc fighting in battles even while heavily pregnant.

(Knowing Bakker, we'll probably have at least one scene of Kellhus's soldiers eating Sranc fetus, or maybe snorting them like Qirri.)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 01:17:05 pm by Phallus Pendulus »

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2014, 02:58:26 am »
EDIT: Moved comments to here

http://second-apocalypse.com/index.php?topic=1135.msg12501#msg12501

Had too many tabs open :(

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2014, 04:07:09 am »
Nah the nonman blood reference came from some removed Appendix excerpt that someone got a hold of on ZTS.