• 81 Replies

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2013, 12:31:52 am »
Quote from: Madness
Second time you've thrown a wrench in my speculation with Anissi's entry, Duskweaver ;).

I should learn.

Another issue is that this leaves the possibility of a "Kelmomas" inside Anissi... I wonder that she and Kellhus wouldn't have had a more interesting interaction if either sensed the truth of the other.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2013, 12:31:58 am »
Quote from: Wilshire
I'm sure she was just another whore like all the rest.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2013, 12:32:04 am »
Quote from: Auriga
Another issue is that this leaves the possibility of a "Kelmomas" inside Anissi... I wonder that she and Kellhus wouldn't have had a more interesting interaction if either sensed the truth of the other.

Yeah. Kellhus would definitely have recognized Anissi as his half-sister, if she was. (We learn in WLW that the Dunyain are easily recognizable to each other, so it's impossible that he'd miss her). And it's very unlikely that Kellhus wouldn't have commented further, in the next two books, about finding his half-sister on the Scylvendi steppe.

It's a shame we didn't see Kellhus' interactions with Cnaiür's wives. We know they had a lot of conversations (because of Cnaiür using his wives as intermediaries for a long time, since he didn't want Kellhus to "read" his own face), but never actually hear those. I always find Kellhus' manipulation skills pretty fascinating to read about.

I'm sure she was just another whore like all the rest.

You're probably right - Moënghus' daughter, if she survived, definitely ended up as a whore.

This, after all, is Bakker.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2013, 12:32:14 am »
Well the whores can be kahit and we already have two examples. the whores are like the damned blind people. too much insight.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2013, 12:32:24 am »
Quote from: themerchant
In TWP, near the front (of the book) while Cnauir is ruminating on how easily everyone is succumbing to the Dunyain, he thinks how easy it must have been for Moe, one stripling lad and his mother, he also thinks about how on producing a blond child his mother was killed and his blond haired brother cast into the fire.

Sorry don't have the book to hand, it's before the  Kellhus internal dialogue where he thinks about the plains churning up bodies and after where he starts to teach Akka Logic etc.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2013, 12:32:31 am »
Quote from: coobek
WHO ARE THE DUNYAIN, comes to mind for some reason.

This is good for a T-shirt. As it promotes interest and in google Dunyain will point to RSB books. Disease will spread quickly and at the far end I see a movie.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2013, 12:32:38 am »
he also thinks about how on producing a blond child his mother was killed and his blond haired brother cast into the fire.

That's interesting. I just reread TDTCB, Ch. 12 for the Almanac and Cnaiur reflects on how they killed his mother when she gave birth to a blond girl - I wonder... a symptom of Cnaiur's madness by TWP or twins?

coobek, Wilshire. You've given me a fantastic idea. Big +1.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2013, 12:32:47 am »
he also thinks about how on producing a blond child his mother was killed and his blond haired brother cast into the fire.

That's interesting. I just reread TDTCB, Ch. 12 for the Almanac and Cnaiur reflects on how they killed his mother when she gave birth to a blond girl - I wonder... a symptom of Cnaiur's madness by TWP or twins?

coobek, Wilshire. You've given me a fantastic idea. Big +1.

Looked it up on my kindle

7% into the book first Cnauir chapter when he is watching Kellhus talk, and just before he asks him if he still has his chorae.

"Images, stark and dry, of the Steppe assailed him. The other woman tearing at his mothers hair, clawing at her face, clubbing her with rocks, stabbing at her with sticks. Mother! A bawling infant is hoisted from her yaksh, tossed into the all-cleansing fire- his blonde-haired half brother. The stone faces of the men turning away from his look. . ."

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2013, 12:32:55 am »
From my Almanac post, “two seasons later, the other woman strangled his mother for giving birth to a blonde girl" (TDTCB, p371).

Retcon, batshit, or twins?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2013, 12:33:02 am »
Quote from: lockesnow
Twins I'd say.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2013, 12:33:09 am »
I wonder why they didn't kill the girl.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2013, 12:33:16 am »
Quote from: Duskweaver
I vote for "unfortunate mistake caused by writing and re-writing the story over 20 years". ;)

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2013, 12:33:23 am »
Quote from: Duskweaver
I vote for "unfortunate mistake caused by writing and re-writing the story over 20 years". ;)

Same.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2013, 12:33:30 am »
Quote from: Curethan
Strangled his mum for giving birth to a girl, then threw the baby into the fire cuz it kept changing gender.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2013, 12:33:40 am »
Lmao. +1 Curethan.

The only contrary evidence I can offer, Duskweaver & themerchant, is that there is such a distinction between how they treat a boy and how they treat a girl born of, but not of, the People of War...

The girl is allowed to live. The boy gets tossed into a fire. It seems like a really obvious mistake - especially while writing the line - because I'm sure Bakker has the cultural practices of the Scylvendi pretty well decided, neh?