mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2014, 11:27:19 pm »
I always had a feeling that the stork on the wall WAS Kellhus.  Meta-gnosis shape shifting to spy on Sakarpus because he knew that he totally could in their favorite bird shape.  Prolly been scoping it out for ages that way.  Or just looking through all the fires.

@ Madness - What you said about the God of Gods and the Solitary God being the only new gods made me think--the first trilogy is the near annihilation of the SG's followers, what if TUC concludes with some kind of epic collapse of Inrithism?

@ Duskweaver - That's awesome, what you said about the Tusk uniting 4 tribes and the other one rejecting the Tusk.  Neat!  The fifth tribe could regard everyone else as heretics!  If they have spent, say 3000 years, making their own version of Dunyain, how would a Dunyain even know?  The deception would be so subtle!

It's so weird that the one tribe that has the Tusk changes it's religion so much: Tusk --> Inrithism --> Kellhus-worship.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2014, 09:14:13 am »
I always had a feeling that the stork on the wall WAS Kellhus.  Meta-gnosis shape shifting to spy on Sakarpus because he knew that he totally could in their favorite bird shape.  Prolly been scoping it out for ages that way.  Or just looking through all the fires.

@ Madness - What you said about the God of Gods and the Solitary God being the only new gods made me think--the first trilogy is the near annihilation of the SG's followers, what if TUC concludes with some kind of epic collapse of Inrithism?

Quite possible. Zeum stuck to the old ways, right?

It's so weird that the one tribe that has the Tusk changes it's religion so much: Tusk --> Inrithism --> Kellhus-worship.

Well, it's a little bit all over, right? All the tribes, save the Sayothi (Zeum), have changed their beliefs at least twice now. Thunyersus is in the Three Seas proper and it only just caught up to the latest (2000 year old) shift to Inrithism.

I need to hear about Eanna and the Xiuhanni. Maybe the Inchoroi or Nonmen will offer some narrative on the 4/1 split.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2014, 11:32:08 pm »
Any interest in compiling a comprehensive list of holy animals?  To start

Storks for Sakarpus
Snakes for Fanimry
Peacocks for Nansur

Are herons holy for someone?   Holy for Mandati?

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2014, 12:18:40 pm »
Any interest in compiling a comprehensive list of holy animals?  To start

Storks for Sakarpus
Snakes for Fanimry
Peacocks for Nansur

Are herons holy for someone?   Holy for Mandati?

There have been requests and this thread easily serves as the place. I believe when I was last perusing TWP, I caught Hippos for the Shigeki... can't wait till I have a desk again and can have my books besides me.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Alia

• Kijneta
  • Of The Knife
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2014, 02:06:58 pm »
I've found the relevant passage - and there's even a bit more about holy animals there. It's TWP, beginning of Chapter 11:
Along the river, the Men of the Tusk saw sacred ibis and heron wading among the reeds and great flocks of egret wheeling over the black waters. Some even glimpsed crocodiles and hippopotamuses, beasts which, they would learn, the Shigeki revered as holy.

As for snakes, there's this passage in TJE (Chapter 4, Mimara and her Judging Eye):
The way good men shine brighter than good women. Or how serpents glow holy, while pigs seem to wallow in polluting shadow. The world is unequal in the eyes of the God—she understands this with intimate profundity.
This would suggest that snakes are holy not only to fanimry.
The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom - William Blake

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2014, 12:21:35 pm »
Thanks, Alia.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2014, 01:11:40 pm »
Poor Mimara, it must have been hard to be a little kid and have the Judging Eye.  Laughed when I reread this part:

"Mimara, sweet Mimara, who as a child would only hold her mother's thumb when they walked hand in hand, who would cry inexplicably at the sight of solitary birds"

The Judging Eye, US edition, p 79, near the end of chapter 3

Alia

• Kijneta
  • Of The Knife
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2014, 03:09:33 pm »
Great insight, never really thought about that.
The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom - William Blake

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2014, 03:46:48 pm »
Great insight, never really thought about that.

Thanks!  Once I got thinking down that line, I wonder if TUC will include a bunch of revelations about what Mimara's seen before she met Akka: Mom, Proyas, Maithanet, Kelmomas, the Tusk...