• 135 Replies

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2016, 03:59:16 pm »
Animated? I think that an injustice to this story and to Bakker's work, tbh. Anime is a niche and will not help to bring this story to the mainstream. I'd be very, very disappointed if it ends up being taking in that direction. TSA is a great story and I can see it being done really well. Not a whole lot that needs to be done in special effects. Everyone has voiced concern about the inner dialogue, but why is that a problem? Not very hard to bring that to the screen, seen it done in many films. I do think this will work better as a trilogy set of movies, though. Though, I figure it would be a TV show done by Showtime or Starz.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Bolivar

• Great Name
  • The Articulate Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2016, 05:09:07 pm »
I always thought animated would be a good option since you don't need an insane special effects budget to bring the more fantastical elements to screen. You could also get away with more of the graphic content with that kind of audience.

It wouldn't have as big of a reach as live action but it might have a better chance at making something truly special.

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2016, 06:08:45 pm »
I'll just read the books.

However money in Bakker pocket means easier life finishing the novels, so it does have an upside.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2016, 06:55:26 pm »
I'll just read the books.

However money in Bakker pocket means easier life finishing the novels, so it does have an upside.

If it turns out to be anime, I'm with you, I'll stick to reading the books. Anime is not my thing. Is I see it on tv I switch the channel immediately. Not my thing.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2016, 12:54:16 am »
A niche adaption for a niche series, sub-niche lol. Seems like something Bakker will do.

It can be animated without being anime, but I'd like either. Plenty of pros and cons for animated or live action. I'll take either, or both. Both would be ideal, for.

Anything that makes Bakker money is good. More money means more books, and unless the quality slips, that'll make me happy.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 12:29:50 pm by Wilshire »
One of the other conditions of possibility.

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2016, 02:56:05 am »
I said animated. I didn't say anime.

It's a great tragedy those are synonyms now.

Bolivar

• Great Name
  • The Articulate Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2016, 03:04:08 am »
The waifus can't be stopped.

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2016, 03:17:28 am »
The waifus can't be stopped.
-Timeless quote by the first Inchoroi to discover his damnation, upon being asked to repent. To this day his dedication to his fictional anime girls is scrawled upon every inch of the ark in indestructible soggomant.

Cynical Cat

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2016, 05:32:59 am »
I don't think it's going to be animated.  Adult orientated, serious animation isn't really something the West does but swords and intrigue is booming on cable.  It's also worth mentioning that The Prince of Nothing would involve a smaller cast and fewer locations than Game of Thrones, and thus lower costs.  It's also worth mentioning how much of the books is a couple of characters talking.  There's a lot of that and it's often pretty high stakes, but it's also comparatively cheap to film leaving more budget for the big battles.  It's also likely that we will see more of the "armored in lacquered human finger nails sranc" and fewer of the "sporting huge erections sranc".

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2016, 06:57:59 am »
Oh I never thought it would be animated. Not in a million years. It would be a terrible financial decision. I just really wish it was. And let's face it, this is a horrible financial decision anyway.

I object to the idea that it would involve a smaller cast and fewer locations than GoT. Maybe then the last few books/seasons, but The Darkness That Comes Before at least starts off quite a bit more widespread than Game of Thrones. The thing is GRRM's narrative flows and balloons outward, whereas Bakker's (mostly) consolidates around a few key points after the first book. I doubt we'll see any big battles at all, honestly. That is incredibly expensive and even GoT couldn't really justify having more than one or two after it's first season. Make no mistake, Prince of Nothing is not A Song of Ice and Fire. It's significantly more impenetrable, downright offputting to most audiences, and its main claim to fame in terms of the general geek public is being part of a particularly nasty social media spat.

Callan S.

• Old Name
  • Warrior-Profit
    • View Profile
    • Philosopher Gamer
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2016, 08:19:33 am »
Given the CGI that I imagine would be involved, oh yes, to some degree it is going to be animated no matter what!

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2016, 02:28:47 pm »
Anime, animation, if there is a difference well excuse my ignorance. Here I put it like this, I DO NOT WANT TO WATCH A FUCKING CARTOON OF MY FAVORITE SERIES!!!!!!!!!!

Onrack

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2016, 02:40:29 pm »
Holy shit. I honestly never thought this would happen. I mean, I really like these books, but I'm far from convinced they could ever have mainstream success. Prince of Nothing just doesn't have the soapy elements required, unless they drastically re-write this stuff. And then there's a bunch of other challenges, like how to convincingly portray the fact of Kellhus constant manipulations. Or how mainstream audiences would react to say, the Epilogue in Warrior Prophet...Well, exciting stuff regardless, though I have a feeling nothing will come of it.

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2016, 03:06:53 pm »
Anime, animation, if there is a difference well excuse my ignorance. Here I put it like this, I DO NOT WANT TO WATCH A FUCKING CARTOON OF MY FAVORITE SERIES!!!!!!!!!!
It'll probably be pretty cartoonish regardless t be honest, animation or no.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2016, 05:52:41 pm »
It'll probably be pretty cartoonish regardless t be honest, animation or no.

This is a great story with complex characters, mystery, great plot and lots of action and intrigue. If done right, it could be brought to life and be a top notch series. I don't even begin to understand how you think it would be cartoonish. Haters gonna hate.