Professor pail's Preponderance of Perplexing Puzzles

• 59 Replies

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2017, 08:49:30 pm »
Maybe that was his gaming Map for when he played D&D and then as the story of the 2nd apocalypse grew in his mind he adapted it.

I love the maps and the details though :)

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2017, 12:26:46 am »
Likely that it was one of their D&D maps, merchant.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Hopper8r

• Emwama
  • Disciple of the Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2017, 11:11:40 am »
The detail and imagination behind it is impressive.  I cannot imagine the wild flux of emotions Scott must be feeling bringing his story to light after so many years.

THE COFFERS!

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2017, 01:40:33 pm »
Other things we don't really know about:

How did the Dunyain find Ishuäl?  (Was it really an accident?)

What the hell is the Worldhorn, really?  (And what did it actually do?)

Where did the Heron Spear go to?  (Was it even real in the first place?)

What are Wracu even, really?  Why do Chorae affect them?  Where are the rest of them (post-TFA)?  Which one was at the bottom of Cil-Aujas?

What is the Nail of Heaven actually?

Who was it that caused the "Burning of the White Ships" during TFA?  Was it skin spies?
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Walter

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2017, 05:00:11 pm »
What's up with anarcane ground?

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2017, 06:27:36 pm »
Other things we don't really know about:

How did the Dunyain find Ishuäl?  (Was it really an accident?) ... good point, it did seem they were just kinda walking down the road looking for a dungeon ( since it was brought up, D&D reference )

What the hell is the Worldhorn, really?  (And what did it actually do?) Since everything on the internet is true, according to PON Wiki: Worldhorn is a ceremonial sorcerous artifact belonging to the Aörsic House of the Anasûrimbor and lost in the destruction of Shiarau in 2136. Reference: Encyclopedic Glossary, ‘Worldhorn’ ... I'm thinking it was nabbed by the Shriekers when the Inchoroi ransacked Ishual

Where did the Heron Spear go to?  (Was it even real in the first place?) Seemed like it got pass around and then "lost" ... either someone hid it and died leaving no evidence or word behind where they put it or it's broke, hanging in a non-mansion as a wall hanging. I don't see it making a return, or in Bakker fashion, there will be a "quest" to find it only to discover it's now useless ( even better, it still works, but the new and improved Mog can defend against it )

What are Wracu even, really?  Why do Chorae affect them?  Where are the rest of them (post-TFA)?  Which one was at the bottom of Cil-Aujas? ... From my personal deduction: they were "dragons" manufactured to use sorcery, so they have the stain. Some killed off, some flew away hiding, some appear to be un-dead ...

What is the Nail of Heaven actually? ... I simply thought it was the brightest start in the heavens ( like the North star ),
 but it does get mentioned/referenced a lot and apparently the Ark "came" from it with it getting bright, etc ... could be the Inchoroi created a worm hole inside a star to travel from system to system ... or a black hole that obscured a star.

Who was it that caused the "Burning of the White Ships" during TFA?  Was it skin spies? ... I don't know
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 06:32:22 pm by TaoHorror »
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2017, 10:12:02 pm »
What's up with anarcane ground?

http://princeofnothing.wikia.com/wiki

Which doesn't make sense as Kellhus had no problem. But, it Kellhus we're talking about.....
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2017, 11:00:32 pm »
Off the top of my head :

What's up with HITB?

How did cnaiur get through kellhus defenses when they first dueled?

Who did kellhus converse with when on the circumfix (and later in TGO)?

Why does serwe see halos on the skin spy?

How is serwe the cipher for ____?

Why did moenghus really leave Ishual?

Did moenghus tutor conphas?

How much of cnaiurs role did moenghus condition deliberately?

Did moenghus prevent cnaiur from attacking conphas after the battle of kiyuth?

Was kellhus supposed to join the holy war or avoid it? (He only joins because they run into serwe, he was going to kill cnaiur and head south before that)

What's up with the ensouled skin spy, is it a consult or moenghus artifact?

How come the synthese can find the skin spy with mimara but not moenghus imprisoned skin spies in kyudea?

Just what did mimara accomplish when she passed through the chorae (an event that presages the first appearance of the wight)?

Akka says the topos was supposed to negate the chorae with the wight and the seal, mimara used it anyway, successfully, was this use novel and unique to her or antique (but forgotten lost over the years) ? Why did the chorae continue to salt Akka and cleric in the topos?

When maithanet says his siblings were drowned is that literally mean they were killed or figuratively indicate some sort of baptism like ceremony?

Was maithanet killed or a body double?

Was theliopas stutter a result of inrilatus' abuses?

Who was theliopa named after?

Was kellhus path to leweth conditioned (aka, why no sranc)?

Why did mekeritrig let kellhus go?

What is the crab handed boys name?

What is going on with Kelmomas and his voice?

What kind of singing did serwa do, mundane or sorcerous?

Who is emilidis, is he still alive? Any more artifacts?

Is the inverse fire true or false?

Is Meppa alive?

Do cishaurim salt when choraed?

Are skin spies repurposed sex dolls?

Was wutteat the last wracu?

Are wracu machines, organic machines, or organic entirely?

What's up with wreoleth and the survivors of said?

Really? Nukes? Are there more? deliberately triggered or a foiled plot?

Was the person in the line going to the golden room nau cayuti?

Was nau cayuti the no god?

What is the no god?

Did the heron spear successfully kill the no god as in legend or misfire (as in Akkas last dream in TTT)?

Where is the heron spear?

What was the crab handed boy doing when he caused squirrel and the chorae to interact and "make light"?

Is the zero God a thing or a red herring?

Can you make qirri from sranc?

Can you make sranc from humans?

Who is the traveler from the TJE prologue?

Is kellhus guiding Akkas changed dreams?

Is Akka right about the judging eye? Will mimara lose it when she gives birth.

codebread

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2017, 12:26:44 am »
Doing a re-read of TTT right now and the three questions I have off the top of my head so far (that haven't been mentioned yet):

1) What's up with the halos on Kellhus' hands? Other characters have seen them, so it's not something Kellhus is imagining

2) What did Kellhus do when he hypnotized Akka in TTT and "spoke with Seswatha"? How did he know he could do it? It mentions that Kellhus "stared at a point between [akka and Kellhus]" before realizing it was Seswatha that was stopping Akka from yielding the Gnosis.

3) What's up with this "Head on a pole" thing from TGO?

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2017, 01:23:54 am »
Doing a re-read of TTT right now and the three questions I have off the top of my head so far (that haven't been mentioned yet):

3) What's up with this "Head on a pole" thing from TGO? ... man, I had no clue what the deal was with all that, and I reread it like 5 times ... appears from chatter elsewhere in this forum he was "visiting" hell ... even knowing that, I fail to make sense of the text

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2017, 01:30:56 am »
Looks like you double posted, Locke - may want to delete one of them to make room.

Off the top of my head :

What's up with HITB? … Who?

How did cnaiur get through kellhus defenses when they first dueled? … Kell hasn’t fully “formed” or a manipulation to reduce his “threat” to Cnaiur.

Why did moenghus really leave Ishual? … to get some descent Chinese takeout

Did moenghus tutor conphas? … yes, sorta

How much of cnaiurs role did moenghus condition deliberately? … Just about all of it

Did moenghus prevent cnaiur from attacking conphas after the battle of kiyuth? … No

Was kellhus supposed to join the holy war or avoid it? (He only joins because they run into serwe, he was going to kill cnaiur and head south before that) … he was in the midst of recalculating “sorcery” into his path to kill his father, thought bringing an army would do the trick

How come the synthese can find the skin spy with mimara but not moenghus imprisoned skin spies in kyudea? … Who says he couldn’t? Maybe he did visit them from time to time, leveraging their imprisonment to leech more information.

Was maithanet killed or a body double? … He was killed

Was theliopas stutter a result of inrilatus' abuses? … Yes, but could have been done on purpose as her way of announcing the violation, constant reminder to her parents

Was kellhus path to leweth conditioned (aka, why no sranc)? … No, while Scranc are numerous, they don’t cover every square inch of the North

Why did mekeritrig let kellhus go? … Good question given all we now know – at the time, I simply bought the explanation that he hauled ass – but given the mad power of that dude, seems like he could have caught up with him

What is going on with Kelmomas and his voice? … Insanity

Is the inverse fire true or false? … Trick question? It’s both and neither.

Is Meppa alive? … Yes

Are wracu machines, organic machines, or organic entirely? … organic machines ( the smell of kerosene, but they are sentient – maybe AI, but the Inchoroi are big on constructing life, so organic “machinery” like the Shranc and Bashrag

Really? Nukes? Are there more? deliberately triggered or a foiled plot? … unclear it was a “nuke” … if it were, Nagliash would be uninhabitable for 1,000+ years … appears it was a “bomb”, but it’s complete nature is unclear given the area of effects ( that and radiation is not catchy, so either the afflicted HAD to be abandoned as contagious which suggest not nuclear or they were abandoned for other reasons – seems culling the herd is in vogue with the story - that or a rouse by Kell to get the unaffected to be able to abandon their brothers so they can continue unencumbered)

Was nau cayuti the no god? … No

What is the no god? … either gone, baby, gone or being reconstructed Ha! I misread this as "Where" at first - will leave my original response, but the No God is a creation of the Inchoroi, a super weapon of sorts

Did the heron spear successfully kill the no god as in legend or misfire (as in Akkas last dream in TTT)? … It did, but unclear if more was done in concert with other attacks to achieve ultimate defeat

Is the zero God a thing or a red herring? … it did exist, unsure if it’s making a return

Can you make qirri from sranc? … No, but it makes one hell of a fondue

Can you make sranc from humans? … No, but could come up with sorta the same thing with a human face – but it would be at least slightly different if not wholesale something way different

Who is the traveler from the TJE prologue? … The White Luck Warrior

Is kellhus guiding Akkas changed dreams? … No

Is Akka right about the judging eye? Will mimara lose it when she gives birth. … would be true, but she won’t be giving birth

[EDIT Madness: Fixed locke's double post.]
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 02:07:55 am by Madness »

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2017, 04:33:58 am »
Tapatalk double posts every time I try to post!

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2017, 04:46:07 am »
I'll look into that.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Hiro

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2017, 08:54:05 am »

1) What's up with the halos on Kellhus' hands? Other characters have seen them, so it's not something Kellhus is imagining

2) What did Kellhus do when he hypnotized Akka in TTT and "spoke with Seswatha"? How did he know he could do it? It mentions that Kellhus "stared at a point between [akka and Kellhus]" before realizing it was Seswatha that was stopping Akka from yielding the Gnosis.

3) What's up with this "Head on a pole" thing from TGO?

Regarding 1, the halos start already being seen by other characters in TWP, starting with Serwë. At that time I thought, illusion from someone who is not quite 100% mentally coherent. Yet later on, the halos are seen or glimpsed by others as well. I dunno...
Mystery denotes darkness

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2017, 10:09:40 am »
Who was theliopa named after?

Bakker actually said she was named from some actual Latin name he heard and decided that was what he wanted to use.  It was in one of the more recent podcast interviews.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira