[TUC Spoilers] Consideration on the book and 23 burning questions

• 26 Replies

Gorgorotterath

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2017, 04:04:30 pm »
Yeah, it's not clear that the Consult even knew that they needed an Anasurimbor before the Mutilated came around.

Right it is not clear, but honestly I do not think you need a post-human Dunyain to figure that out knowing the Celmoman Prophecy and that Nau-C was the guy who activated the No-God...otherwise how could Aurang think that the resurrection of the No-God was really close ("Soon enough. Soon enough") in TWP.

Does anyone have any idea on what "system initialization" and "system resumption" stand for? They sound vaguely Neon Genesis Evangelion to me, not sure why

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2017, 04:05:23 pm »
Nonman and human blood. That's about the only unique thing i can think of.

Is that something confirmed in TUC? I haven't read the actual book yet or TUC Glossary. Wert mentioned it in his History of Earwa that Seswatha is Nau-Cayuti's father, as well.

Yeah, it's not clear that the Consult even knew that they needed an Anasurimbor before the Mutilated came around.

Right it is not clear, but honestly I do not think you need a post-human Dunyain to figure that out knowing the Celmoman Prophecy and that Nau-C was the guy who activated the No-God...otherwise how could Aurang think that the resurrection of the No-God was really close ("Soon enough. Soon enough") in TWP.

Does anyone have any idea on what "system initialization" and "system resumption" stand for? They sound vaguely Neon Genesis Evangelion to me, not sure why

But by the Seswatha paternity logic, Nau-Cayuti isn't an Anasurimbor...
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2017, 02:55:45 pm »
Nonman and human blood. That's about the only unique thing i can think of.

Is that something confirmed in TUC? I haven't read the actual book yet or TUC Glossary. Wert mentioned it in his History of Earwa that Seswatha is Nau-Cayuti's father, as well.

But by the Seswatha paternity logic, Nau-Cayuti isn't an Anasurimbor...

No not confirmed that i can remember. Is it confirmed that seswatha is  Nau-Cayuti daddy

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
  • Approximation of a Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2017, 03:01:53 pm »
No not confirmed that i can remember. Is it confirmed that seswatha is  Nau-Cayuti daddy

It's never confirmed or denied, it's a possibility that is brought up by Akka's dreams in TJE.

In fact, if I remember correctly, Akka ponders on how Kellhus resembles both Celmomas and Nau-Cayûti in two separate occasions during PON (coming shortly after dreams of Celmomas' death and Seswatha and Nau-Cayûti in Golgotterath). That, to me, lends credence to the idea that Celmomas was Nau-Cayûti's father after all, since there appears to be a strong resemblance between the two (no resemblance between Seswatha and Nau-Cayûti is ever noted - not that it definitely proves anything, anyway).
"But you’ve simply made the discovery that Thelli made—only without the benefit of her unerring sense of fashion."
-Anasûrimbor Kayûtas (The Great Ordeal, chapter 13)

"You prefer to believe women victims to their passions, but we can be at least as calculating as you. Love does not make us weak, but strong."
-Ykoriana of the Masks (The Third God, chapter 27)

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2017, 03:02:59 pm »

It's never confirmed or denied, it's a possibility that is brought up by Akka's dreams in TJE.

In fact, if I remember correctly, Akka ponders on how Kellhus resembles both Celmomas and Nau-Cayûti in two separate occasions during PON (coming shortly after dreams of Celmomas' death and Seswatha and Nau-Cayûti in Golgotterath). That, to me, lends credence to the idea that Celmomas was Nau-Cayûti's father after all, since there appears to be a strong resemblance between the two (no resemblance between Seswatha and Nau-Cayûti is ever noted - not that it definitely proves anything, anyway).

It's mentioned in the TTT Glossary as well i believe. I also agree there was no paternity issue.

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
  • Approximation of a Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2017, 03:07:28 pm »

It's mentioned in the TTT Glossary as well i believe. I also agree there was no paternity issue.

That's right, the possibility of Seswatha being Nau-Cayûti's father was mentioned in TTT, I had almost forgotten about it. It's still most likely a red herring, and Akka was inclined to believe that Seswatha was the father of Nau-Cayûti due to the influence of his own circumstances with Kellhus/Esmenet/Mimara.
"But you’ve simply made the discovery that Thelli made—only without the benefit of her unerring sense of fashion."
-Anasûrimbor Kayûtas (The Great Ordeal, chapter 13)

"You prefer to believe women victims to their passions, but we can be at least as calculating as you. Love does not make us weak, but strong."
-Ykoriana of the Masks (The Third God, chapter 27)

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2017, 06:25:49 pm »
Right. Thanks, you two :).
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

codebread

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2017, 03:49:46 am »
Well for me as I said the Inchoroi and all the backstory up to the Fist Apocalypse
 was supercool, so this having the Dunyain “conquering” the Consult was quite a letdown. You have the fascination of a multi-millennial conspiracy crafted with great care along 5-6 books, and now these suckers of monks the overtake it in couple of years and a couple of chapters? It was a letdown for me, though I guess it sort of makes sense, it is just my personal taste. Reducing the dreadful Inchoroi and the fascinating Shauriatas/Shauriatis (can we decide his name by the way?) to puppets easily disposed of was a waste of great material I think.

I hate to say it, but I agree with you. The Dunyain being the ultimate bad guys was a big letdown for me. That, plus the ease with which the OG Consult was disposed of. I was really hoping to see a a huge payoff for all of this slow burn surrounding them, but just like Ishual it was destroyed before we had the chance to see it.

That being said, the Ajokli twist and the No-God's rebirth were awesome. I just wish it had been at the hands of Shauriatas and the Inchoroi. I suspect it won't matter as much in the grand scheme of things, but as a temporary finale it was disappointing in that regard.

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2017, 09:19:29 am »
I've just finished the book and I totally agree that my first thought about it is a great WTF, hahaha. I expected some kind of conclusion with this book so I feel fucked as the ordealmen are. The first thing I will do is reading it again to grasp the absolute of it.

The big question for me is "what now?". I hope that all other burning questions that remain unanswered (and obviously are bothering me too) will have some kind of explanation in the future books, but my main concern is what is going to happen next.
So I can only wonder how much we will have to wait with this pain in our asses.

Know what your slaves believe, and you will always be their master.

TheCulminatingApe

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2017, 05:50:55 pm »
so I feel fucked as the ordealmen are.

I think the head-fucking scenes can be read as a message from author to reader.  Mr Bakker is fucking with our heads

The first thing I will do is reading it again to grasp the absolute of it.

I feel like I need to re-read all seven books.  Twice.  And make notes
Sez who?
Seswatha, that's who.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2017, 02:56:34 pm »

If you haven't, you should :) . There is an incredible amount of story packed into each book. I am consistently surprised about what new things I learn each time around.

Do please share you notes when finished, or even as you go.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2017, 12:18:04 am »

If you haven't, you should :) . There is an incredible amount of story packed into each book. I am consistently surprised about what new things I learn each time around.

Do please share you notes when finished, or even as you go.

Indeed. Add to the Almanac even ;).
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer