• 35 Replies

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2017, 09:06:26 pm »
My understanding is that people are arguing we should use the grammatical definitions of Subject and Object rather than the philosophical definitions because it fits the argument they support vis a vis the metaphysical mechanics of the No-god.
Is this not the case?

Yet in the examples I quoted it is clear that the philosophical definitions are appropriate. The outside represents subjective interpretations of objective reality, the No-god is intended to seal of the outside.

I don't understand why the No-god changing a situation where 'Tim throws the ball' into 'Ball throws the ball' or 'Tim throws the Tim' is compelling at all. (Even if it is just a semantic change instead of a change to reality)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 09:08:10 pm by Cüréthañ »
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

Yellow

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2017, 12:36:16 pm »
I think TheCulminatingApe is spot on.

Curethan, you're being too literal. Don't worry about balls throwing balls. Think about the entity that is embodied by the concept of the Subject. And similarly for the Object. Apply that analogy (which is exactly what language is in Earwan metaphysics) to the case of a soul.
You are the fist that beats us.

CondYoke

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2017, 03:32:30 pm »
What is the end goal of the No-God/ Consult? Ok, yeah, to close the world to the outside- so they don't go to hell. But play it out- the No-God walks, all births stop. Eventually, the world gets down to 144,000 souls, (it takes years, during which everyone just gets older)presumably, while the number of weapon races increases(continued breeding). The world is shut.
What now? Do the sranc stop raping the ~100,000 raisins left on the world? What happens when they have raped and killed all of the left-over elderly?  The Incorai are a race of lovers- nothin left to love (but seriously- what kind of fleshlight can you make with the Tenke?), what's left for them? Death and oblivion? What's Ark's final play? Does Ark have a soul? 

Ancillary, and maybe more apropos in a different thread;
And just to be clear, Aurang is in Hell, correct? He doesn't get out if the world is closed after his death, does he? Does Sil?
Crazy thought/ spoiler- If the world is closed sometime in the future (TSTSNBN) and the outside is timeless, then... wouldn't the gods be starving now? Is this a hint that the Dunsult fails?

While hell sounds like a big downer, the pleasures of the flesh are the Inchori's main thing- they are going to give that up? It seems self defeating- they want a closed world where they get to f* everything they want- but no new babies means no more sentient meat! Do they shut down the NG when they reach 144,000 and start a limited breeding program?( yeah, they are good at regulating lust- that'd work). I just don't see the end game...

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2017, 04:58:29 pm »
As it relates to Nau and the No-God, perhaps you're right, and I/we haven't divined other consequences from that revelation
In general it is the timing of dreams, eh? that holds some significance.

So from this dream, we can determine that Seswatha believed himself to possibly be the father of NC.

around this time of this dream, I think Akka discovers Mimara is pregnant.

Akka then believes that he is possibly the father of the baby, just like Seswatha in the dream.

And in many respects, Akka slept with Mimara because she looks like the wife of the emperor, seswatha slept with the wife of the emperor.

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
  • Approximation of a Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2017, 05:42:15 pm »
As it relates to Nau and the No-God, perhaps you're right, and I/we haven't divined other consequences from that revelation
In general it is the timing of dreams, eh? that holds some significance.

So from this dream, we can determine that Seswatha believed himself to possibly be the father of NC.

around this time of this dream, I think Akka discovers Mimara is pregnant.

Akka then believes that he is possibly the father of the baby, just like Seswatha in the dream.

And in many respects, Akka slept with Mimara because she looks like the wife of the emperor, seswatha slept with the wife of the emperor.

This is sort of what I've been thinking regarding Akka being influenced by his own circumstances. We know of Akka's own history with Kellhus/Esmenet and then Mimara. We know that Seswatha did have an affair with Celmomas' wife. It's quite possible he did believe himself to be the father of Nau-Cayûti.
Now, whether this is a true parallel or not... Maybe I've been thinking of it wrong and what matters was what Seswatha believed, and not Nau-Cayûti's actual paternity? Belief tends to play an important role in this world, after all.
"But you’ve simply made the discovery that Thelli made—only without the benefit of her unerring sense of fashion."
-Anasûrimbor Kayûtas (The Great Ordeal, chapter 13)

"You prefer to believe women victims to their passions, but we can be at least as calculating as you. Love does not make us weak, but strong."
-Ykoriana of the Masks (The Third God, chapter 27)

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2017, 06:41:40 am »
Yes and so I'm not sure anymore of who's the father of Mim's baby.
Know what your slaves believe, and you will always be their master.