[TUC Spoilers] Psalm of Imimorûl

• 39 Replies

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2017, 02:35:04 pm »
Yeah, deo gratias for that. Lol.
Know what your slaves believe, and you will always be their master.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
    • The Original No-God Apologist
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2017, 04:42:00 pm »
Well, seems like Adam mixed with Satan though, spiced with a sort of reverse Eve.

A very Bakker combination...
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

generalguy

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2017, 06:43:06 pm »
It's rendered complete in the Glossary, along with a lot of other great tidbits about Nonman history and beliefs. For instance, Quya translates as 'miner'.

So apparently the Quya do not share the same human disdain for using sorcery for mundane purposes ;)?
Or by analogy they mine reality and meaning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2017, 06:27:43 pm »
Yeah, deo gratias for that. Lol.

Lol.

It's rendered complete in the Glossary, along with a lot of other great tidbits about Nonman history and beliefs. For instance, Quya translates as 'miner'.

So apparently the Quya do not share the same human disdain for using sorcery for mundane purposes ;)?
Or by analogy they mine reality and meaning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Truth.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wolfdrop

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2017, 11:20:05 am »
I was just reading this again, and one line has me confused.

"the myriads that bolt through this blessed hair".

...the Nonmen don't have any whatsoever.

profgrape

• The Afflicted Few
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2017, 05:14:06 pm »

Nice catch!  Makes me wonder if they had hair before the Inoculation; chemotherepies often causes alopecia, maybe it was the same for the Inoculation?  And after it was administered, they didn't regrow those cells...

SuJuroit

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2017, 05:29:20 pm »
I interpreted hair as a metaphor for trees/plant life.

Wolfdrop

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2017, 06:49:17 pm »
Yeah, I came to that conclusion that it indicated trees/mountains/grass being the "hair" of the world.

Still reckon Imimorûl was bald as an egg.

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2017, 07:02:20 pm »

Nice catch!  Makes me wonder if they had hair before the Inoculation; chemotherepies often causes alopecia, maybe it was the same for the Inoculation?  And after it was administered, they didn't regrow those cells...

When were the sranc created? If they existed before the Inoculation (I don't remember that now) the Nonmen were already bald, because I asume the sranc were created hairless.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2017, 07:15:36 pm »
Imimorûl apparently cut off his shield arm, fed its pieces to lions, to birth the whole species of Nonpeople, to escape the Gods in the deepest parts of the ground...

But yeah... don't know why he could have had Fabio-hair either ;)?

The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Duskweaver

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2017, 10:12:04 am »
Yes, but why would a poet of an utterly hairless species use that metaphor in the first place? Logically, Nonmen shouldn't even have a word for 'hair'. 'Fur' or 'pelt', of course, because of animals (and the Emwama would surely have been seen as just another animal), but not 'hair' with its (for want of a better term) human connotations. Yet the poem deliberately uses the word 'hair'. It's odd.
"Then I looked, and behold, a Whirlwind came out of the North..." - Ezekiel 1:4

"Two things that brand one a coward: using violence when it is not necessary; and shrinking from it when it is."

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
  • Exalt-Smiter of Theories
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2017, 04:54:54 pm »
Yes, but why would a poet of an utterly hairless species use that metaphor in the first place? Logically, Nonmen shouldn't even have a word for 'hair'. 'Fur' or 'pelt', of course, because of animals (and the Emwama would surely have been seen as just another animal), but not 'hair' with its (for want of a better term) human connotations. Yet the poem deliberately uses the word 'hair'. It's odd.
Maybe the People of Dawn had hair once, before they became totally subterranean.

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2017, 07:54:31 pm »
If this humanoid race is older enough that could be.
Maybe in a million of years of evolution human will all be bald as Nonmen. At least this "evolution" started in my head long ago, lol.

Monkhound

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2017, 04:05:59 pm »
For similar Creation analogies you also have the Greek mythology (first the Creation, then later Prometheus stealing the Fire), God creating humanity according to Genesis or other cabalistic traditions, the Sumerian tradition, and most certainly a myriad of other versions. Most rely on being created from clay and recieving a divine impulse through either a pièce of the divine (either physical piece, or a breath).
 And let's also not forget Aulë creating the dwarves in the Silmarillion (I believe: created from stone, under the largest mountains?).

Why the use of the word "hair"? Possibly just because we read Sorweel's interpretation of the text?
Cuts and cuts and cuts...

Duskweaver

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2017, 07:31:04 pm »
Why the use of the word "hair"? Possibly just because we read Sorweel's interpretation of the text?
That's a good point. 'Hair' could just be how the Amiolas translates the concept from Ihrimsu because it's being worn by a human.

Stepping away from the hairy issue for a moment. Could there be any connection between Imimorul supposedly coming from the sky and the Nonman association of depth with the past and altitude with the future (c.f. the Great Pit of Years)?
"Then I looked, and behold, a Whirlwind came out of the North..." - Ezekiel 1:4

"Two things that brand one a coward: using violence when it is not necessary; and shrinking from it when it is."