• 17 Replies

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« on: April 19, 2013, 12:08:56 pm »
Quote from: ecudan
New poster so please forgive any ignorance, is there a potential release date on this title as of yet?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 12:09:05 pm »
Quote from: Wilshire
New poster so please forgive any ignorance, is there a potential release date on this title as of yet?

Sorry no answer from me.

I'd guess from the emptiness of this post, nobody but Madness would know (assuming he is the one that set this one up), but even that is a long shot. And dont be intimidated about posting around, we are in dire need of active members :)

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 12:09:19 pm »
Quote from: Madness
I'd have to do some major scouring for this one.

I know that there are a couple Disciple novels in the works. The Enlightened Dead, specifically, was mentioned in an aphorism on Bakker's blog, Three Pound Brain[/u], Mayish, 2011.

However, from what I know Disciple of the Dog needs to sell more copies in order for Bakker to receive interest in more Disciple contracts.

Arguably, the only thing we can do as fans is garner as much attention as possible for Disciple Manning Novels, as I know Bakker hoped that Disciple would be his vehicle of accessibility as an author to continue funding his full-time writing habits.

Cheers, ecudan. Welcome.

Let's get Disciple Manning t-shirts made. I'd wear anything Bakker.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 12:09:27 pm »
Quote from: Callan S.
Being commercial and evil, I've idly wondered about paying for online adverts for one of the books (I'm thinking through 'Project Wonderful'), leading to an amazon page for it which has my amazon affiliate attached. So either the book would get advertised, or it'd get advertised and I might make my money back on advertising. A win of a different type, in either case. Or is that too wacky a thing to do?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 12:09:36 pm »
Quote from: Madness
I'm not sure what the legalities involved are, Callan. However, I also don't really think anyone can stop you from paying out of pocket for advertisements like this.

If I made Disciple Manning t-shirts of the cover art, perhaps, and Bakker's books on the back like tour dates, I'm not sure anyone is going actually stop me from doing this because it's free advertising to them.

I guess, it would depend what the other book was about and anything that you are affiliated with.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 12:09:46 pm »
Quote from: Wilshire
I'd think you can advertise whatever you want, especially if its complimentary and truthful. As long as you arn't slandering someone the worst that would happen is you'd get a cease and desist letter from a grumpy lawyer long before anything real happened.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 12:09:55 pm »
Its a damn shame he doesnt get more attention, he has such a unique voice.  I was really skeptical of him trying something not fantasy, but I loved it.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 01:15:23 pm »
That's awesome, c7.

Welcome to the Second Apocalypse.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 04:18:18 pm »
Its a damn shame he doesnt get more attention, he has such a unique voice.  I was really skeptical of him trying something not fantasy, but I loved it.

All these posts here are making me wonder if I should attempt to finish the book at some point.

Do you think it was unfair to read the first few chapters before abandoning it and giving it 1/5 stars on Goodreads?

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 04:40:51 pm »
Lol, Nskoghar.

You should have to finish the book to give it one star :P.

I mean, it's not for everyone - FB has some hard-to argue criticisms regarding Canadian idioms and humour in the Disciple of the Dog subforum on the first page of his general discussion thread before it became heavy with Bakker & Feminism content.

If you couldn't finish it, you can't do it. I've not read plenty of books.

But to give it such a low review on an incomplete read - I shake my head in general disapproval ;).
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 06:22:07 pm »

All these posts here are making me wonder if I should attempt to finish the book at some point.

Do you think it was unfair to read the first few chapters before abandoning it and giving it 1/5 stars on Goodreads?
lmao. I would recommend finishing it if you're going to give it a review. Though I like this statement:

Go to a Bakker forum and ask if you should finish a Bakker book, spoiler alert, people will tell you to finish it.
For me, if a book is part of a series I try to finish it before I make a blanket sweep judgement. If its standalone then I try to finish it before being overly critical, though I'd be a liar if I said I always do.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 01:07:16 pm »
lmao. I would recommend finishing it if you're going to give it a review. Though I like this statement:

It's true. I can't even begin to recall (and really, why would I be able to) all the books that I've started and tossed away after a few pages, few chapters, half-way through (though, unless the book has really twisted me strangely, I'll probably finish it at some point if I got over half - fiction and non-fiction).

Go to a Bakker forum and ask if you should finish a Bakker book, spoiler alert, people will tell you to finish it.

Lol.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 03:52:13 pm »
Isn't there a difference between writing a review and merely rating a book? The star ratings are just a way for people to say whether they liked a book or not, not a rating based on an objective study of the merits of the work in question.

Once I've read about a 3rd into a book and I can't stand it, then it becomes fair game to say that I did not like the book IMO. And that's exactly the equivalent of the one star rating according to Goodreads: 'did not like it'.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 03:54:06 pm by Nskoghar »

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2014, 04:11:46 pm »
Isn't there a difference between writing a review and merely rating a book? The star ratings are just a way for people to say whether they liked a book or not, not a rating based on an objective study of the merits of the work in question.

Once I've read about a 3rd into a book and I can't stand it, then it becomes fair game to say that I did not like the book IMO. And that's exactly the equivalent of the one star rating according to Goodreads: 'did not like it'.

Fair enough. I've never been on Goodreads, and there is a bit of a distinction between a review and a rating, though in my mind not a very big one. If you're talking about some kind of multi-paragraph/page in-depth review, compared to a single click 1-star rating, yeah there is a difference. But to me the difference of 1-click and a basic (maybe a sentence or two)  'review' of why you did/didn't like a book are very nearly equivalent.

Less information does not make it less important. When you search for a book to read, I'd imagine you generate some big, maybe genre-wide, list and sort by rating. The ratings you see could be 100 well thought out reviews, or 100 people who never even read the title of the book who click a rating for fun. Is there a difference? Of course there is, but the outcome for the person scrolling through the list is the same.

But thats more my general opinion of online rating systems and not specifically about this situation. I've been whined at for not liking plenty of books/series. Its not like my personal opinions about a book are some kind of objective, be-all-end-all 'this is what the book is' statement.

Give it whatever rating you think it deserves. I'm sure people have given better/worse ratings for fewer reasons (didn't like the cover art, stupid title, didn't read book but don't like author, etc. etc.)
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2014, 06:49:17 pm »

Yeah, I'm on Goodreads (participate little) but I didn't recognize the distinction as Wilshire suggested. I'm not sure if that distinction is apparent outside of Goodreads though. A review and a rating do seem like two aspects of the same thing to me: a review is the reasoning by which you make your rating?

I think most of our commentary pre-Wilshire's last post was in jest, as well.

Of course there is, but the outcome for the person scrolling through the list is the same.

But thats more my general opinion of online rating systems and not specifically about this situation. I've been whined at for not liking plenty of books/series. Its not like my personal opinions about a book are some kind of objective, be-all-end-all 'this is what the book is' statement.

Give it whatever rating you think it deserves. I'm sure people have given better/worse ratings for fewer reasons (didn't like the cover art, stupid title, didn't read book but don't like author, etc. etc.)

+1.

Online rating systems rr flerwed.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer