YOU MUST TELL ME ... What else are you reading?

• 418 Replies

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
  • There are no facts,only interpretations- Nietzsche
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: January 21, 2014, 08:43:54 pm »
I am literally stuck on the slog. I am in the middle of Deadhouse Gates, and I need a break. This is worldbuilding running amok. Might pick it up again later on. Although it is definitely worth reading, I feel something is missing, but I don`t know exactly what.

About to finish "The brotherhood of the screaming abyss" by Dennis Mckenna. Also started on "The curse of Chalion" by Lois Mcmaster Bujold.

Meyna

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 22, 2014, 12:21:59 pm »
I am literally stuck on the slog. I am in the middle of Deadhouse Gates, and I need a break. This is worldbuilding running amok. Might pick it up again later on. Although it is definitely worth reading, I feel something is missing, but I don`t know exactly what.

About to finish "The brotherhood of the screaming abyss" by Dennis Mckenna. Also started on "The curse of Chalion" by Lois Mcmaster Bujold.

It was kind of jarring when I read Deadhouse Gates and realized that there were only new plot-lines being introduced and that none of the lines started in Gardens of the Moon were even going to be mentioned. All I can say is get used to that ;D
witness

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 22, 2014, 12:40:01 pm »
It was kind of jarring when I read Deadhouse Gates and realized that there were only new plot-lines being introduced and that none of the lines started in Gardens of the Moon were even going to be mentioned. All I can say is get used to that ;D

I thought GOTM was great, a bit confusing, but overall very good. If Eriksen keeps on introducing new characters and plot-lines over 10 books and I presume they are 800+ pages, then I am not sure I will bother.

Meyna

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 22, 2014, 01:43:14 pm »
I'd say that after book 4 you've met 90% of the major players. Though, as Madness can tell you, book 5 drops you blind into new territory once again. Things start converging after that.
witness

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 22, 2014, 01:51:19 pm »
I haven't started that particular series yet, so forgive my ignorance, but is it finished... or does it have some semblance of an end? You said after book 5 it starts converging, so does that mean it takes another 5 to close everything up or rather that some stories are simply never finished?

I started re-read #3 of TSA, currently about 1/3 of the way through TDTCB, but after I finish the first book I might segue into something else (maybe this?).
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Garet Jax

« Reply #125 on: January 22, 2014, 06:56:01 pm »

I started re-read #3 of TSA, currently about 1/3 of the way through TDTCB, but after I finish the first book I might segue into something else (maybe this?).

First things first...  TWP.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #126 on: January 22, 2014, 07:27:37 pm »
I'd say that after book 4 you've met 90% of the major players. Though, as Madness can tell you, book 5 drops you blind into new territory once again. Things start converging after that.

Indeed. It broke me wee heart. I really liked Duiker, Gruntle, among many other characters and Erikson's concepts. I think I should try from the beginning again, though.

I haven't started that particular series yet, so forgive my ignorance, but is it finished

As far as I know it, The Crippled God (Book 10) was the final book of Erikson's part of that series, though there are a number of non-essential books that fill out the Book of the Fallen sequence (Esslemont and Erikson's prequels, Bauchelain and Korbal Broach). Erikson, apparently, didn't wrap everything up and Esslemont has a trilogy to actually finish the main sequence.

+1 ;D.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 07:29:31 pm by Madness »
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 22, 2014, 07:51:44 pm »

I'll get to it.

I am considering purchasing the audio books this time around. Cant decide if its worth the money. I'm so very interested in hearing the books, mostly to hear another's pronunciation, as I still fumble around with some words. Its not an issue whilst reading, but when trying to verbally discuss the book its kind of inhibitory.

Meyna

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 22, 2014, 11:25:31 pm »
I haven't started that particular series yet, so forgive my ignorance, but is it finished... or does it have some semblance of an end? You said after book 5 it starts converging, so does that mean it takes another 5 to close everything up or rather that some stories are simply never finished?

You start to get a sense of what the main conflict is going to be during book three (combined with "spoilers" compliments of the titles of the later books). Without giving anything away, I will say that the main series absolutely does resolve the main story. Due to the scope, there are many secondary conflicts that arise and get resolved, as well; some connect to the main conflict, some are more for character development.

There are, of course, other interesting plot lines that arise that don't get resolved, but they aren't integral to the main story. Off the top of my head, one such plot line pops up in the third book, and a potential deus ex machina for the main conflict gets pulled into that situation never to be heard from again (until Ian C. Esselmont's next book, that is).

The magic system actually gets fleshed out really well, but leaves enough mystery behind to prevent disillusionment. Some might disagree, however.

Anyway, in addition to the main series, you have the Ian C. Esselmont novels which fill in stories alluded to in the main series. For example, his first novel deals with the transition from Emperor Kellanved to Empress Laseen. His sixth novel will deal with a plot introduced in the third book, like I said above.

Erikson is about to release the second book of a trilogy dealing with the elder races, the elder gods, and the origins of the houses of magic. His next trilogy will deal with a character who made it to the end of the main series. This character has a goal in mind that didn't get fully developed in the main series (again, it was auxiliary to the main conflict in retrospect), so it looks like that will get resolved after all.

Like you said, an immense world has been created, with endless potential for storytelling. The Malazan Book of the Fallen is only one of these stories, and the end of that book does indeed conclude the story about the title Fallen.
witness

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 23, 2014, 12:40:09 am »
Well I'm intrigued more than dissuaded by that response. Thanks Meyna :)

Meyna

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 23, 2014, 01:19:46 am »
Well I'm intrigued more than dissuaded by that response. Thanks Meyna :)

Sure thing! It's a slog, for sure. Trust your instincts!
witness

Alia

• Kijneta
  • Of The Knife
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 23, 2014, 06:07:18 am »
Well, I heard an interview with Erikson once and he claimed that he had everything thought through, so that when he started writing GoTM, he already knew what was going to happen in Book 10. And as for extensive worldbuilding - he said he started writing in part because he got mad with all those RPG settings and fantasy book where you have a huge city in the middle of nothing, no fields, no farmers, no possibility of existence really.
The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom - William Blake

Meyna

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 23, 2014, 01:40:56 pm »
Yes, some of the world-building surely stems from Erikson's education and experience as an archaeologist. A lot of fantasy tropes of plot and setting are subverted, and it makes for an interesting experience.
witness

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #133 on: January 23, 2014, 01:44:04 pm »
I always appreciated that connection. It's like scientists writing good science fiction.

Anthropologists of any given strip might craft a more thorough fantasy world.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 18, 2014, 12:49:30 pm »
Been a bit slow lately, but I have started David Zindells "Neverness", and Consider the lobster and other essays by David Foster Wallace.