Earwa > The White-Luck Warrior

Side Effects of Eating Sranc

(1/34) > >>

The2ndUtteralString:
"Henceforth, our very foe shall sustain us..."
The dread command had been given, at long last.
"Henceforth, we eat Sranc."

Many have already begun to speculate on what this might do to the Great Ordeal:

--- Quote from: Madness on November 05, 2013, 03:09:38 pm ---
--- Quote from: Francis Buck on November 04, 2013, 01:35:56 am ---In the case of Sranc though, I really feel like that's going to have some horrible, grotesque negative effect in the long run. Eating Srancflesh is just way too freaking ominous. Maybe it will almost be like crack to the Nonman's cocaine?
--- End quote ---
Um... Huge +1.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Second Apocalypse on May 29, 2013, 05:42:25 pm ---
--- Quote from: bbaztek ---This is fun. Now with half-baked plot speculation!
....Ch. 2 - Aorsi (zsoronga, proyas, kayutas) - first effects of eating sranc,

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

So what do you guys think the effect will be?
My guesses:
-Kellhus already knows what will happen when the flesh of Sranc is eaten; all is premeditated with the Dûnyain. He will abstain from eating it himself.
-It will be a stimulant like Qirri.
-It will be revolting at first but ultimately prove addictive.
-It will cause irreparable harm to the mind and body. (Perhaps even the soul?)
-It will slowly cause those consuming it to feel the violent/rabid "Sranc-lust". (In true Bakker style, there will be some description of this abhorrent change using the word "phallus").

Any thoughts, serious or silly?

Wilshire:
Something that has been thrown around for a while is that people have been eating sranc all along, in the form of the mysterious drug that the Scarlet Spire seems to love. Though its name escapes me for now.

The2ndUtteralString:

--- Quote from: Wilshire on December 05, 2013, 02:06:49 am ---Something that has been thrown around for a while is that people have been eating sranc all along, in the form of the mysterious drug that the Scarlet Spire seems to love. Though its name escapes me for now.

--- End quote ---
Chanv coming from Sranc? Iyokus consuming it for all these long years? Interesting theory.

Francis Buck:
I think sranc will be like crack to the nonman's coke. Stronger, doesn't last as long, and much more adverse effects.

I don't think chanv is sranc though. Chanv is rare, expensive, and mysterious even to those who take it. My money is on sorcerer salt. That would be rare, difficult to acquire, and thus worthy of the price. Plus we have the not so subtle scene  at the end of TTT, where the boy is collecting a bit of the salt "that would be his fortune". Sranc, on the other hand, are ridiculously abundant in the north, and people hunt them all the time. If that was the source of chances then there's no reason for it to be so scarce, nor so expensive.

Madness:

--- Quote from: The2ndUtteralString on December 05, 2013, 01:49:24 am ---So what do you guys think the effect will be?
My guesses:
-Kellhus already knows what will happen when the flesh of Sranc is eaten; all is premeditated with the Dûnyain. He will abstain from eating it himself.
-It will be a stimulant like Qirri.
-It will be revolting at first but ultimately prove addictive.
-It will cause irreparable harm to the mind and body. (Perhaps even the soul?)
-It will slowly cause those consuming it to feel the violent/rabit "Sranc-lust". (In true Bakker style, there will be some description of this abhorrent change using the word "phallus").
--- End quote ---

- Yeah, Kellhus won't eat it, though getting around this might be difficult if he remains with the Ordeal. I can easily see Kellhus having fed Sranc to people. Maybe Kelmomas finds Zombies in cages in the Labyrinth from Kellhus' experiments.
- It could be anything but I also think it will resemble Qirri as Sranc are bastardizations of Nonmen.
- Check.
- Check (for whatever reason this reminds me of Krokodil; drug that causes strange skin deformity and decay).
- Yeah, I can easily see Bakker highlighting the further resemblance between Men and Sranc.

--- Quote ---
--- Quote from: The2ndUtteralString on December 05, 2013, 04:39:28 am ---
--- Quote from: Wilshire on December 05, 2013, 02:06:49 am ---Something that has been thrown around for a while is that people have been eating sranc all along, in the form of the mysterious drug that the Scarlet Spire seems to love. Though its name escapes me for now.

--- End quote ---
Chanv coming from Sranc? Iyokus consuming it for all these long years? Interesting theory.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Francis Buck on December 05, 2013, 04:57:55 am ---I think sranc will be like crack to the nonman's coke. Stronger, doesn't last as long, and much more adverse effects.

I don't think chanv is sranc though. Chanv is rare, expensive, and mysterious even to those who take it. My money is on sorcerer salt. That would be rare, difficult to acquire, and thus worthy of the price. Plus we have the not so subtle scene  at the end of TTT, where the boy is collecting a bit of the salt "that would be his fortune". Sranc, on the other hand, are ridiculously abundant in the north, and people hunt them all the time. If that was the source of chances then there's no reason for it to be so scarce, nor so expensive.

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Yeah, I don't think Chanv is Sranc or Salted Sorcerer, strictly for the translucent skin commentary. If the Inchoroi were using the original Chanv for themselves then it precedes Sranc and Sorcery.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version