• Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: September 10, 2020, 12:13:27 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9xhJrPXop4&feature=emb_logo

Dune trailer

I heard a rumor they might not put the movie out until next year though, because people just aren't going to theaters enough for it to likely recoup what was spent on it.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: September 10, 2020, 04:31:43 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9xhJrPXop4&feature=emb_logo

Dune trailer

I heard a rumor they might not put the movie out until next year though, because people just aren't going to theaters enough for it to likely recoup what was spent on it.

I was hoping the same day movie on demand thing would catch on ( you pay something like $30 if you want to see movies out now ), but I guess it didn't. I would pay that for this thing.
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: October 21, 2020, 10:47:40 pm »
Dogs of Berlin

Mad stuff, I ain't moving to fucking Germany. I enjoyed it - strange mix of mediocre directing/dialogue with excellent writing in many parts. Good actors and over all fun to watch, I recommend it and looking forward to 2nd season if they have one. So, not a classic, but good.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: October 22, 2020, 01:54:35 pm »
We just finished up The Third Day and Lovecraft Country.

Lovecraft Country was pretty good, but rather uneven.  Third Day was interesting, but if you don't watch the 12 hour livestream in the middle, you kind of miss part of the point.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: October 23, 2020, 12:57:21 pm »
Mr. Frost

Can something be shit and awesome? Yes! Mr. Frost is cheap, zero production with silly directing and music score. That said, I love this movie. Hard to find any more, but found it on Youtube. The resolution is terrible, significantly less than SD, so for those of you who enjoy watching movies on your gadgets, you'll enjoy a much better picture viewing on a small screen. The theme is rich, though shallowly treated, and Goldblum is in top form. Few bits of stupidity ( the liquifying the ring act, made no sense, would've been a better movie if it kept his character's authenticity in question for a while ), but in the end fun to watch ( mostly ) and an interesting discussion on religion vs scientific atheism ( most likely think I'm being a bit generous here given some of the amateurish aspects, but essentially this is what the movie is about ).

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: October 27, 2020, 04:16:58 pm »
The Undoing looked fairly generic, possibly interesting, but on the basis of just being an HBO (proper) show, we checked it out.  First episode was fairly well done, so we'll be watching the rest.

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #321 on: October 29, 2020, 04:23:48 pm »
Rewatched this Nick Cage triple that feels like a trilogy: Face/Off, The Rock, Con Air.

Holding off on The Good Place season 4 till my kiddo has a chance to catch up.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: October 29, 2020, 07:27:22 pm »
The Undoing looked fairly generic, possibly interesting, but on the basis of just being an HBO (proper) show, we checked it out.  First episode was fairly well done, so we'll be watching the rest.

I was wondering about this one, bit dicey with the marketing so haven't committed yet. Thanks for letting us know.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: October 30, 2020, 11:36:55 am »
I was wondering about this one, bit dicey with the marketing so haven't committed yet. Thanks for letting us know.

Yeah, the marketing was a little weird, but I actually think it "worked" pretty well.  Because we spent the whole episode in suspense about what was actually going to go down and who was actually implicated in it.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: October 30, 2020, 11:18:47 pm »

Yeah, the marketing was a little weird, but I actually think it "worked" pretty well.  Because we spent the whole episode in suspense about what was actually going to go down and who was actually implicated in it.

Sounds good :)

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: November 03, 2020, 08:38:09 pm »
Cop Shows

Unforgotten - pretty good, if you like Euro-cop shows, you'll like it. I like how they introduce the story, you see different people in the first episode who appear to have nothing to do with each other and by the end, you see the beginning of the weave, it's pretty cool. About cold cases.

The Valhalla Murders - Islandic, I watched it dubbed. I enjoyed it, some weak after acting here and there, but fun to watch.

Dogs of Berlin - I may have mentioned this one already, pretty good, German show, watched it dubbed and was descent. Some good writing with this one, I liked it.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: December 04, 2020, 05:44:58 pm »

I'm having deja vu about writing this, but I don't see the post, so apologies if I went over this already ( somewhere ). Anyways, I finished The Undoing. I liked it, most of it was excellent, fun and some humor. Nice work on showing plausible freakshow Manhatanite life. It ended weak imho, but that's ok, it did a good job of jerking me around about whodunit. Good stuff overall.

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
  • "Trickster Makes This World"
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: December 04, 2020, 07:13:52 pm »
Shield Hero - To get right to it, one of the Four Saviors of the Realm hires a slave warrior because after a false rape accusation no one will help him fight the Apocalypse and he can only use his shield while in the "Matrix" of the "game" world. This slave, a cute racoon/mouse girl, grows up as she levels and becomes hot and not only forgives him for buying her but falls in love with him...and even angrily defends her initial purchase and forced conscription.

It's hard to say what to think of this. While the initial plot is like writing out some incel's wet dream, the good-aligned characters are genuinely likable and you do feel like the author was trying to talk about morally grey areas ->

Should the Shield Hero just let himself die rather than get a slave? Is initially forcing her to fight bad if they'll all get wiped out in the Apocalypse? Would it be better if there was no romantic/sexual aspect, and does that mean I am saying it is somehow more okay to inflict pain on a boy in order to make him a soldier?

I'd suggest watching the first four episodes just to gauge one's own moral reactions.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: December 07, 2020, 04:05:54 pm »
Shield Hero - ... I'd suggest watching the first four episodes just to gauge one's own moral reactions.

Sounds interesting, is this an anime? What streaming is it on?

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: December 07, 2020, 04:06:39 pm »
Departure on Peacock ( NBC ) - it was alright, not bad. Well executed for a samo story.

The Trial - Italian crime show on Netflix. Good writing, I liked it. Much of the human dialogue is goofy, but that may be a dubbing issue and may work well in the original Italian. Some of the headier stuff is pretty good. Good amount of fucking going on, so you might like it for that.